Question HELP! Projector Setup w/ Cable Box & DVD Receiver; Mission Impossible?

Deleted member 971731

Reaction score
HELP!

We inherited an old projector and DVD receiver with connected surround sound speakers.

Epson Home Cinema 1080 3LCD
SONY 5 Disc DVD Receiver DAV-HDX466 Model HCD-HDX466

We also have a Shaw cable box.

The projector, receiver, and cable box have only one HDMI port each. At the moment, we can only watch DVDs through the projector (connected via HDMI). When we connect the cable box directly to the projector via HDMI, we get video, but no sound. We'd like the option to hook up both the cable box and DVD receiver to the projector so we can switch between either cable TV or DVDs, but have no idea how to accomplish this. We're looking to buy a new DVD receiver, but have no idea what kind would accomplish this.

HELP! And thanks in advance! :)

You could use one of these types of products although they're not usually recommendation by me, but something like PROZOR HDMI Audio Extractor 3 IN 1 OUT (or something similar) which also has a 3.5mm headphone jack which should enable you to connect a 3.5mm to RCA Phono Stereo lead.

I've created a diagram showing how to connect the devices. When using the Cable Box, with the DVD surround sound system, you will have to choose that option. The only thing I am uncertain about is whether the 3.5mm output requires amplification as its usually for headphones which work on a smaller voltage. So, before you buy one, be sure to ask the manufacturer before hand. You can share the image with them so they understand how you wish to connect it. These tiny boxes are not the best though, but as you are trying to work with very old toys, this might be your only option without changing everything

The product above is one of many options available and even though it has more features than you need, it is the kind of product you are looking for. So, as long as it has Audio Extractor in the title and has the require HDMI inputs and outputs, plus that analogue output whether it be 3.5mm or RCA Stereo, you should be able to achieve your goal

HDMI Box.jpg

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

What makes a 10/10 4K Blu-ray disc?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom