Panasonic MZ1500 (TX-55MZ1500B) 4K OLED TV Review & Comments

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
Great review Phil. Been debating whether or not to pull the trigger on a 65" one of these. Upgrade from my trusty 55" FZ802 o_O

Shame they've opted for the 1500 series to be a panel downgrade and keep the sound system, rather than offer an MLA panel without the integrated sound as previously, but presumably market forces have led to it.

Great to see the out of the box setting being so accurate. Amazing how far the industry has come.

It's thanks to really good technical journalists at AVForums (and a few other reputable sites) putting pressure on the manufactures, that we now have such accurate image settings available.

Thanks Phil! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the detailed review Phil very disappointed it's got an added soundbar and no MLA panel it would have been my go to tv if did. But if my Panasonic gz950 died it would be a LG G3 I'd go for now

I like Panasonic (loved their plasmas) but I think their OLEDs are in a no man's land atm, especially this model. As others have pointed out, this should have had an MLA panel instead of the soundbar.

I'm shocked,another oled another 9/10..what a surprise🥱.. struggling to see the point of these reviews when every single oled is so good it warrants a 9/10..I fear reviewers will soon be redundant 😂

First time I’ve seen Panasonic described as mid-tier. 🤔

I like Panasonic (loved their plasmas) but I think their OLEDs are in a no man's land atm, especially this model. As others have pointed out, this should have had an MLA panel instead of the soundbar.
I don’t agree. I bought my 77LZ2000 this year as I didn’t want a MLA screen or QD-OLED. Both technologies have their issues.

They used to make great plasma tv's back in the day, and kinda ruled the market as kings of cinematic picture quality, but these days there is just too much competition when it comes to oled. Plus, there tv's are always highly priced and almost never come down, even their older models. So, people flock to LG or Samsung. Its a shame, really.

Shame they've opted for the 1500 series to be a panel downgrade and keep the sound system, rather than offer an MLA panel without the integrated sound as previously, but presumably marketing forces have led to it.

Corrected it for you. 😜

First time I’ve seen Panasonic described as mid-tier. 🤔
Yes I know but unfortunately its falling behind the QD Oleds and tvs with MLA panels but still a great tv if you want an added soundbar

... the MZ2000 doesn't have the MLA panel in 77'size, whereas the Philips 908 has got it + Pentonic 1000 SoC ...

Otherwise, like already stated, the MZ1500 not having the same panel as the 2000 this year, when this was the case with the JZ1500 and LZ1500 is pure nonsense ... :(

I have a feeling for Panasonic this year this is one of the years fiddling around too much didn't pay off. They are at a crossroads generally I think. Happens to all manufacturers now and again. I think they peaked with last years LZ. And have fiddled around too much. For example the skin tones are a little too rosy at times comment, that never happens to top Panny TVs normally out of the box. I've seen this skin tone issue noted in other pro reviews of this TV and the MZ980 also.

I have a feeling for Panasonic this year this is one of the years fiddling around too much didn't pay off. They are at a crossroads generally I think. Happens to all manufacturers now and again. I think they peaked with last years LZ. And have fiddled around too much. For example the skin tones are a little too rosy at times comment, that never happens to top Panny TVs normally out of the box. I've seen this skin tone issue noted in other pro reviews of this TV and the MZ980 also.
Its time Panasonic changed their tv designs too ...

If i put an GZ, HZ, JZ, LZ, MZ all side by side, you woudnt know which one is which. Also their tv remotes are ridiculously big and kinda cheap looking. You can kill a man with that thing. But, to be fair, so are LG's plastic clickers. Imagine you bought an expensive LG G3 MLA 77 inch tv, opened the box with all the excitement, and gaze your eyes upon the cheap wii remote-looking plastic LG clicker in the box :p That tv costs like what, around £4500? :facepalm:

I'm shocked,another oled another 9/10..what a surprise🥱.. struggling to see the point of these reviews when every single oled is so good it warrants a 9/10..I fear reviewers will soon be redundant 😂
Well, most are all using the same LGD panels with just the manufacturer's processing twist and a few small engineering additions, then they are very similar. Reading the actual reviews will highlight the difference between them and if they suit your use case, rather than just looking at the score.

Most Oleds are 9/10 because in real terms there's very little between them

Most Oleds are 9/10 because in real terms there's very little between them
Exactly,it comes down to brand loyalty,smart system preferences and use scenario. Meaning is it a dark cinema room or family all purpose TV you want. On all other levels you couldn't put a cigarette paper between the differences. It's all becoming very predictable and very boring. Guess we will have to wait for micro led to give us something new to drool over 😂

I'll take the OLED that's best at just above black detail, and best at eliminating black crush. I guess most will say it's the Sony A95L, damn it I can't realistically afford one of those. :D

So far though it seems the new Philips 808,908, are very good in the above areas.

I'll take the OLED that's best at just above black detail, and best at eliminating black crush. I guess most will say it's the Sony A95L, damn it I can't realistically afford one of those. :D

So far though it seems the new Philips 808,908, are very good in the above areas.
The MediaTek chip is the Achilles heel for those still using it, of which Panasonic is one, and accordingly suffer the slight, but unavoidable all the same, black crush.

I’ve jumping ship from Panasonic for that reason, despite loving my JZ2000, but also because of Panasonic’s ridiculous release window (announcing the new range in January, available in October!).

The MediaTek chip is the Achilles heel for those still using it, of which Panasonic is one, and accordingly suffer the slight, but unavoidable all the same, black crush.

I’ve jumping ship from Panasonic for that reason, despite loving my JZ2000, but also because of Panasonic’s ridiculous release window (announcing the new range in January, available in October!).
I think this year in the end Philips are the only ones who will actually have the new MediaTek pentonic chips onboard. It's meant to address some of the black crush stuff I think.

The latest video from AVForums

What makes a 10/10 4K Blu-ray disc?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom