Question Can TV HDMI port damage connected devices?

stengaard

Novice Member
Reaction score
I had an Android TV box connected to 1 of the 5 HDMI ports on my Samsung Neo QLED QN90b TV and a Sony STR-DH790 Receiver connected to its eARC HDMI port.

Things had been working fine but a few weeks ago returning home after a week away, I plugged everything in again and the fairly new Android TV box would not power up. I didn't notice for a few days but I could also not get the TV sound to play thru the Sony ... only the TV speakers.

I sent the Android box to the vendor via courier and the Sony in for a warranty fix to replace its HDMI board. I'm still waiting for the Sony to be returned but just got the replacement (brand new, not repaired) Android box and it would not power up at all. Phoning the vendor, he said he has heard cases of voltage spikes from HDMI ports damaging equipment.

With 3 devices having been damaged while connected to my Samsung TV HDMI ports, I want to clarify before reconnecting the Sony receiver that is scheduled to be returned from service soon.

Any comments would be appreciated. Cheers, Karsten

TV's should not be powered up when connecting any equipment to the HDMI ports (known as hot swapping).
You haven’t stated if you did this.

Not sure, but yeah I probably plugged in the replacement android TV box to a live HDMI port on TV. When I get Sony receiver back from service, all devices should be plugged into it and I will ensure power is off when plugging in HDMI cables. Q: does it matter if TV or receiver power is turned off or should they be unplugged when connecting HDMI cables?

To be on the safe side unplug from the power socket before connecting them.

The latest video from AVForums

What makes a 10/10 4K Blu-ray disc?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom