FreeSat through house aerial ?

John_w100

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Currently have one TV connected to my satellite Dish for FreeSat. I have a new build house so wondering if i can connect my dish to the RF cable round the house to distribute the signal to 2/3 other TVs ? my Rf Tv signal is unreliable so would disconnect the Aerial.

Thanks for all info/advice.

Simple answer = No. As you need a separate cable from each TV to the LNB so as to control the 4 'modes' the LNB can use to tune TV station in by.

Simple enough to do that if suitable cable routes are possible. Use all-copper double screened 'satellite' cable such as Webro WF100.

Do all the TVs actually support satellite inputs and the freesat EPG? (Many are just free to air sat tuners, if they exist at all).

But why not sort out the UHF TV reception issue?

Damaged aerial?
Damaged / poor quality cable(s) and connections?
Too many TVs fed from the one aerial via passive attenuation?
Damaged/faulty amplified splitter?
Too much amplification in the aerial system?

Any of the above can cause problems.

Thanks for your answer Rodders. I suspected it would be a no but needed to clear the question from my mind :D.

I have an aerial in the loft currently and reluctant to have one outside so thats why I was looking down the FreeSat route as the 2 tvs i use it on are spot on. The Rf system is currently amplified. I'd say i may need a guy who is not just an aerial fiutter and someone who could analyse/test the system to come up with the best solution instead of running down an alley of adding a bigger aerial outside and more cabling.

Location? (What transmitter, predictions and signal levels)?

If you are in Hartlepool (as per your profile) it's likely that Bilsdale is your transmitter and that mast collapsed due to a fire. But it's been rebuilt and mostl TV signals should be back to normal now (since 7th June).

What is the aerial (post a picture)?
What is the amplifier (picture - especially of any ratings plate, for model/make)?

That will allow some more analysis.

Loft aerial are at a disadvantage to one outside. I normally assume a signal loss of 10dB from outside to in.

Do go over the plugs and sockets on the system. Remake any suspect ones. Replace any damaged cables (sharp bends and kinks are a no no).

Hi Rodders,

Location is indeed Hartlepool for the Bilsdale mast. I have attached a pic of the aerial, plugged in amplifier and the associated loft amp. (Appologies for shaky aerial pic)

Thanks again
loft aerial.jpeg
amplifier.jpeg
loft JB.jpeg

First issue is that it's a small log periodic. Likely less than 6dB gain?
It looks to be a 'contract' cheap construction type.

Second is that it is pointing along the ridge line of the roof? Through a gable end wall or through party wall(s) of adjoining houses?
One wall (double skinned with insulation in cavity) will be bad enough --- but going through more to the open view of the transmitter can kill signals entirely.

Is the masthead amplifier gain control turned up to max, or not?

Use the various TV sets' signal metering as a guide to signal levels being fed round the house. The way they meter can vary a lot between manufacturers, though. High Signal Level and Low Quality is BAD and may indicate over-amplification.
Low S(ignal) and high (100%) Q(uality) is better but if too low will give issues.

If the amplifier is at max and you have too strong a signal level turn it down a bit?

If signal levels are a bit low, then relocating the aerial as high in the eaves as possible might help a tad? You could perhaps fix that aerial outside, even at gutter level, to 'see' Bilsdale clearly and remove the building materials' losses from the equation?

If signal meter readings are low, I'd probably suggest and aerial with much more gain in the loft if you can't readily go outside with it.
Loft aerials – A.T.V. Poles, Brackets, Clamps & Aerials is worth a read and has some recommendations for loft aerials.

FYI on a random TS25 4EZ postcode: Bilsdale is guesstimated by Wolfbane as 54dBuV/m field for the lower power muxes {add 3dB for the main PSBs}. Take off 10dB for inside, add 6 dB for the aerial gain, add 20dB amplifier, and take off 3 dB for cable and termination losses = 67-70 dBuV to the sets.

Ideal levels are 45-65 dB and some sets will work with more and/or less quite happily. Others may be upset.
Note that with the amp on minimum (1dB gain) the calculation will give 48-51 dBuV to the sets.

Your postcode may well give different numbers.

Actually it is possible, but you would need to change the LNB to Unicable LNB and your tvs would need to support Unicable

1690009833005.png

The latest video from AVForums

What makes a 10/10 4K Blu-ray disc?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom