Which version of The Running Man ?

DodgeTheViper

Reaction score
The German 4K release :D

You can compare some of the versions here :

I'd go for the German release of those you've listed.

I’m not looking for the 4K version though.

Is the video transfer on the Paramount different to the Capelight ?
Can’t see any proper reviews for the Blu-ray (only the 4K) but people on forums say the BD looks similar to the German.

Can’t see any proper reviews for the Blu-ray (only the 4K) but people on forums say the BD looks similar to the German.
That’s what I’m finding as well, not a lot for the standard BluRay. I watched a comparison of the Paramaount vs Capelight 4K and the Capelight looked too colourful, to me. I wondered if that carried down to the standard BluRay. Or maybe I’m just overthinking and I should just pick one. Which may well be the German Capelight 2 Disc which is no doubt the same video transfer as the other sets.

That’s what I’m finding as well, not a lot for the standard BluRay. I watched a comparison of the Paramaount vs Capelight 4K and the Capelight looked too colourful, to me. I wondered if that carried down to the standard BluRay. Or maybe I’m just overthinking and I should just pick one. Which may well be the German Capelight 2 Disc which is no doubt the same video transfer as the other sets.
Looked a bit further back in the forum posts & it sound like only the (OOP) 3-disc German release has the 4K remastered Blu-ray (ie 4K disc, 1xBD film, 1BD extras)

DVDcompare implies the same Rewind @ www.dvdcompare.net - Running Man (The) (Blu-ray) (1987)
…and the 3-disc edition has a newer 4K remastered transfer.
I initially thought they meant the actual 4K disc, but based on the post above I think the 3 disc comes with a 4K remastered BD.

The 2 disc you’ve linked to came out 2019 & is based on an old master/scan according to the BD.com thread about the 2019 cape light release, so won’t have the 4K remastered disc.

I don’t know for sure, but based on the clues above I think if you want the new 4K remaster then you need to get the Paramount, as the 3 disc German is OOP.

Looked a bit further back in the forum posts & it sound like only the (OOP) 3-disc German release has the 4K remastered Blu-ray (ie 4K disc, 1xBD film, 1BD extras)

DVDcompare implies the same Rewind @ www.dvdcompare.net - Running Man (The) (Blu-ray) (1987)

I initially thought they meant the actual 4K disc, but based on the post above I think the 3 disc comes with a 4K remastered BD.

The 2 disc you’ve linked to came out 2019 & is based on an old master/scan according to the BD.com thread about the 2019 cape light release, so won’t have the 4K remastered disc.

I don’t know for sure, but based on the clues above I think if you want the new 4K remaster then you need to get the Paramount, as the 3 disc German is OOP.
I appreciate you taking the time to check this out and I think you’ve pinned it down. It’s the Paramount release for the 4K master transfer. It has 5.1 audio were the Capelight release has 7.1 but I’m ok with that. On the 4K UHD comparison I prefered the Paramount release from the shots I seen so maybe that transfers down.

I appreciate you taking the time to check this out and I think you’ve pinned it down. It’s the Paramount release for the 4K master transfer. It has 5.1 audio were the Capelight release has 7.1 but I’m ok with that. On the 4K UHD comparison I prefered the Paramount release from the shots I seen so maybe that transfers down.
I sold the Capelight 4K German release on and bought the UK 4K instead. The audio is 5.1 lossless only but I swear its way better than the 7.1 lossless on the Capelight. The 5.1 track upmixed sounds fantastic - pretty much as good as you could reasonably expect whereas I wasn't bowled over by the 7.1 track on the German disc at all (I haven't compared them directly though). Perhaps the German disc has the 5.1 as well though? And the UK 4K disc is barebones.

The latest video from AVForums

What makes a 10/10 4K Blu-ray disc?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom