Went for "x", came back with "y" šŸ„“

Yep, didn't use the Atoll. Didn't want to muddy the waters. I've enjoyed the Atoll very much, but as I say, my preferences have changed.

I bought the Marantz about 5/6 weeks ago on 30 day return and had made my mind up to keep it and move the Atoll on. When I made the appointment to demo the KEF's, it was ideal to use the Atoll as part-ex following this
Makes sense to not overcomplicate things in a demo. Congrats on the Model 30 too, should be a great amp!
My dealer keeps recommending the Model 40n, but so far Iā€™ve resisted (I would be more inclined to go for the 30 anyways).

Cheers

Please keep us informed regarding the Model 30. I bet itā€™s awesome.

Shows the value of a good dealer!

Too often things are bought solely off the back of reviews and other people's opinions.

A decent dealer gets to know you, and what your tastes are. Then can recommend based on their experience with other makes and models that you may not have considered.
There's so much superb kit out there that doesn't get a look in against the go-to brands ( not that they are bad, just over-represented).

Also can save money in the long term as you get something that you should enjoy and not worry about changing as something is not quite right.

Enjoy the many many hours of pleasure your new kit will bring you!

Makes sense to not overcomplicate things in a demo. Congrats on the Model 30 too, should be a great amp!
My dealer keeps recommending the Model 40n, but so far Iā€™ve resisted (I would be more inclined to go for the 30 anyways).

Cheers
I did read up on the Model 40n when considering a change of amp, but in my situation, the 40 didn't make sense, as I didn't need the streaming/network aspects. I liked the fact the Model 30 was just an amp; I just want an amp to be just that - an amp, and do that well šŸ¤”šŸ˜Š, plus the 30 had that little bit more available power, should I need it for not very efficient speakers.

I was wary of the 30 being Class D, as I'd never heard a Class D prior to this (always been A/B), and they've had bad press over the years, but I've learned since Class D has come a long way.

I'd read somewhere a while ago that ATC speakers don't fare well with Class D amps, but this is definitely not the case with the Model 30. I'm really enjoying the Model 30/SCM40 combo so far; it's giving me what I had in mind, as mentioned further back in the thread.

It's a undemanding listen if that makes sense, as opposed to the Naim's and Atoll amps I've had, which feel like they were demanding my attention "look, see what I can do", like an exuberant Labrador puppy, whereas the Model 30 is like a laid back, mature, easy going hound šŸ˜‚. But, if I need or want to crank things up and let loose, the Model 30 will oblige. Sorry for the dog analogies, that's my other passion - my 4 rescue dogs šŸ˜Š, plus I terrible at describing sound from a hifi system šŸ¤”šŸ«£

I did read up on the Model 40n when considering a change of amp, but in my situation, the 40 didn't make sense, as I didn't need the streaming/network aspects. I liked the fact the Model 30 was just an amp; I just want an amp to be just that - an amp, and do that well šŸ¤”šŸ˜Š, plus the 30 had that little bit more available power, should I need it for not very efficient speakers.

I was wary of the 30 being Class D, as I'd never heard a Class D prior to this (always been A/B), and they've had bad press over the years, but I've learned since Class D has come a long way.

I'd read somewhere a while ago that ATC speakers don't fare well with Class D amps, but this is definitely not the case with the Model 30. I'm really enjoying the Model 30/SCM40 combo so far; it's giving me what I had in mind, as mentioned further back in the thread.

It's a undemanding listen if that makes sense, as opposed to the Naim's and Atoll amps I've had, which feel like they were demanding my attention "look, see what I can do", like an exuberant Labrador puppy, whereas the Model 30 is like a laid back, mature, easy going hound šŸ˜‚. But, if I need or want to crank things up and let loose, the Model 30 will oblige. Sorry for the dog analogies, that's my other passion - my 4 rescue dogs šŸ˜Š, plus I terrible at describing sound from a hifi system šŸ¤”šŸ«£
I too like that the model 30 is analogue only.

These days, a decently designed either class D or AB amp will be perfectly fine for driving most speakers.

I am too happy with my Powernode driving my speakers to seriously consider getting something else. I also find that it gives an relaxed/effortless presentation of the sound, nothing is strained on neither low or high volumes.

I did test the ā€˜cheapishā€™ NAD C316 V2 in my system too, and it was fine. All that I would need really.. but it is nice with the extra power of the Powernode (80 watts continuous vs 40 for the NAD).

If you implement DSP/room calibration in your chain some day, the model 30 will provide the extra power and headroom youā€™d need :thumbsup:

All good regarding dog analogies.. but Iā€™ll spare you my affinity for cats šŸ˜…

I too like that the model 30 is analogue only.

These days, a decently designed either class D or AB amp will be perfectly fine for driving most speakers.

I am too happy with my Powernode driving my speakers to seriously consider getting something else. I also find that it gives an relaxed/effortless presentation of the sound, nothing is strained on neither low or high volumes.

I did test the ā€˜cheapishā€™ NAD C316 V2 in my system too, and it was fine. All that I would need really.. but it is nice with the extra power of the Powernode (80 watts continuous vs 40 for the NAD).

If you implement DSP/room calibration in your chain some day, the model 30 will provide the extra power and headroom youā€™d need :thumbsup:

All good regarding dog analogies.. but Iā€™ll spare you my affinity for cats šŸ˜…
That's ok, I have a rescued cat too šŸ™‚ (was 2 but one passed away a little while ago), it's like a zoo šŸ¤Ŗ

Oh how I can relate. Went for an electric fire and ended up with a media wall and purchasing a whole new cinema set up! I had Definitive Technology Mythos 1/2/3s with a Denon AVR which Iā€™ve had since 2001. The AVR was upgraded in 2011. TV was LG Oled 55ā€. After choosing my fire I decided I wanted a media wall with in-built speakers so was considering Kef Ci4100QL-THX. A visit to SevenOaks Sound & Vision soon put the kibosh on that šŸ˜†. This is my new set upā€¦

LCR Speakers. PSB PWM2
Atmos speakers PSB CS630
Ceiling Subwoofer PSB CS1W Sub28
Subwoofer amplifier PSB CS500W
Rear effect speakers Monitor Audio Gold FX
AV Receiver NAD T778
Sony Bravia XR-65A95K

Iā€˜m no audiophile, I view this forum and admit that most of it goes completely over my head, but I know what looks good and after a demo the new speakers sounded awesome. Fortunately, my husband was on board and I managed to relieve him of some of his savings ā˜ŗļø.

Ci4100QL-THX

Attachments

• IMG_1607.jpeg
    IMG_1607.jpeg
    168.5 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1617.jpeg
    IMG_1617.jpeg
    172.1 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1620.jpeg
    IMG_1620.jpeg
    164.2 KB · Views: 71
Oh how I can relate. Went for an electric fire and ended up with a media wall and purchasing a whole new cinema set up! I had Definitive Technology Mythos 1/2/3s with a Denon AVR which Iā€™ve had since 2001. The AVR was upgraded in 2011. TV was LG Oled 55ā€. After choosing my fire I decided I wanted a media wall with in-built speakers so was considering Kef Ci4100QL-THX. A visit to SevenOaks Sound & Vision soon put the kibosh on that šŸ˜†. This is my new set upā€¦

LCR Speakers. PSB PWM2
Atmos speakers PSB CS630
Ceiling Subwoofer PSB CS1W Sub28
Subwoofer amplifier PSB CS500W
Rear effect speakers Monitor Audio Gold FX
AV Receiver NAD T778
Sony Bravia XR-65A95K

Iā€˜m no audiophile, I view this forum and admit that most of it goes completely over my head, but I know what looks good and after a demo the new speakers sounded awesome. Fortunately, my husband was on board and I managed to relieve him of some of his savings ā˜ŗļø.

Ci4100QL-THX
Oooh, that's a lovely, clean set up.

But I'm slightly confused by something (don't worry, nothing technical, I don't understand that stuff either!) - you say you have a PSB CS1W Sub28 and matching amp as it's passive, I get that.

But then you say it's a Ceiling Subwoofer? Well, that's a new one on me! I thought these could only be wall-mounted? I presume your MA Gold FX are also wall-mounted, too?

Some pics of these would be nice!:)

PS Iā€™d still have the ATCs if I hadn't managed to make a hash of trying to integrate a sub into the system.

How badly wrong did it go? Sounds exciting. :)

I was using an AVR for surround and for two channel, a pre and monoblocks (Exposure). My old MA sub has LFE and high level inputs. I used a Beresford unit in between both to switch the sub between the two ā€˜systemsā€™. I thought I was getting both high level from the pre, and LFE from the AVR at the same time, no matter what output was selected on the Beresford. I thought this but maybe my testing wasnā€™t good enough.

Now I still use the Beresford in line between the pre only and the sub. I switch to the output for straight through. When using surround, the AVR LFE goes direct to subā€™s LFE input. Then I switch the Beresford output to the one with no cable connections and the AVR controls the sub. Hopefully thatā€™s clear. I run Neat Orkestras now which have a different sound, and I get on better with the ribbon type tweeter.

Oooh, that's a lovely, clean set up.

But I'm slightly confused by something (don't worry, nothing technical, I don't understand that stuff either!) - you say you have a PSB CS1W Sub28 and matching amp as it's passive, I get that.

But then you say it's a Ceiling Subwoofer? Well, that's a new one on me! I thought these could only be wall-mounted? I presume your MA Gold FX are also wall-mounted, too?

Some pics of these would be nice!:)
Sorry, only just seen your post! Yes it is in the ceiling and doing a damn fine job. like I said, Iā€™m not at all technical, but we had the acousticā€™s professionally set up on Thursday and itā€™s awesome. My go to DVD for sound effects is ā€˜Saving Private Ryanā€™ and although pre-Atmos, OMG there were bullets and machine fire coming from all directions, I almost ducked under the sofa šŸ¤£. Yes MA Gold FX are wall mounted, you can see one of them reflected in the tv with two wall lamps either side. The wall lights have to go now, with the speaker it looks like two eyes and a nose šŸ¤ŖšŸ˜†. Hereā€™s some pics for you!

Attachments

• IMG_1645.jpeg
    IMG_1645.jpeg
    135.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1644.jpeg
    IMG_1644.jpeg
    219.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1607.jpeg
    IMG_1607.jpeg
    168.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1617.jpeg
    IMG_1617.jpeg
    172.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1620.jpeg
    IMG_1620.jpeg
    164.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_7130.jpeg
    IMG_7130.jpeg
    276.4 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
I was using an AVR for surround and for two channel, a pre and monoblocks (Exposure). My old MA sub has LFE and high level inputs. I used a Beresford unit in between both to switch the sub between the two ā€˜systemsā€™. I thought I was getting both high level from the pre, and LFE from the AVR at the same time, no matter what output was selected on the Beresford. I thought this but maybe my testing wasnā€™t good enough.

Now I still use the Beresford in line between the pre only and the sub. I switch to the output for straight through. When using surround, the AVR LFE goes direct to subā€™s LFE input. Then I switch the Beresford output to the one with no cable connections and the AVR controls the sub. Hopefully thatā€™s clear. I run Neat Orkestras now which have a different sound, and I get on better with the ribbon type tweeter.
I'm probably a little hard of thinking, can you clarify this for me?

I have a Denon AVR-X2000 with 5.1 speakers. The sub is a Wharfedale SW150 with line level and speaker inputs. Currently they are connected with an RCA cable.

I've just bought a Marantz PM6007 for stereo, and I want to share the fronts of the 5.1 with it, so I've also bought a Beresford TC-7250. At the simplest level, I just need 4 short runs of cable, and I can choose which amp is powering the front speakers. This would do me fine. However, the switch is capable of running a sub as well, so I'd like to try it out, but given the Beresford only has banana sockets on the back, I'm puzzled how this happens.

Presumably I need to connect the second set of speaker sockets on the switch to speaker ports on the sub. Presumably this means I need to unplug the RCA from the 5.1 amp to the sub? If so, how does the 5.1 get sub sound? Do I tell the amp the sub is not there, have the LFE sent out with the L&R, and just leave it to the speakers to sort it out? The sub is only going to play the stuff below the crossover I set; and I could potentially remove the bridges from my fronts; but this implies a step backwards to me, it doesn't seem right.

At the end of it I'll be happy just to switch the fronts, I don't necessarily need a sub for stereo, but if the facility is there, I'd like to try it out, I'm just not sure how.

EDIT: The Marantz has RCA subwoofer as well, maybe I need another switch, but the WAF is at full stretch as it is šŸ˜„

Last edited:
@Ayrton I think you got me there. Iā€™m repeating myself further down but I really am not expert enough to help answer your question, but somebody like @gibbsy would be better.

My two channel pre has an AV Bypass mode for the L/R speakers. My Marantz speaker connections are not connected to the speakers. The avrā€™s L/R preouts connect to the AV bypass rca input on the preamp.

My Beresford is different, a TC7240 which give four banks of stereo rca inputs with a source selection knob, and the Amp A or Amp B outputs are two sets of rca outs controlled by a switch between A and B. It has no spade connectors which suggest speaker level connections but I might be wrong,

My preamp has two sets of rca outputs. One set goes to the two monoblocks, then from there to speaker connection to the LR. The other rca pre out pair goes to an input on the Beresford. In turn this goes to the high level mounts on the sub via Amp A connectors. The AVR LFE out goes direct to the subwoofer LFE input. When using the AVR I change the output on the TC7240 to Amp B that is not connected to the sub or anything else so the AVR LFE goes direct to the sub.

Ah sorry my mistake. The 7240 is an input source switch, I see that now. Thanks for replying though! I'll see what Mr Beresford's people have to say about it.

Ah sorry my mistake. The 7240 is an input source switch, I see that now. Thanks for replying though! I'll see what Mr Beresford's people have to say about it.
The popular Beresford model is the 7220 to which the speakers will attach. If you want to run a single sub with both the Denon and the Marantz then a REL sub will allow both high level for the Marantz and low level connections for the Denon.

The popular Beresford model is the 7220 to which the speakers will attach. If you want to run a single sub with both the Denon and the Marantz then a REL sub will allow both high level for the Marantz and low level connections for the Denon.
There can be no more purchases for a while, she will KILL me. I've pushed her to the limit as it is šŸ˜‚

The latest video from AVForums

What makes a 10/10 4K Blu-ray disc?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom