aberjam

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So recently posted a pic of my living room on home theatre forums and long story short a 2.1 or 4.1 set up is probably best for me due to a variety of factors.

I watch everything via tv apps and I have Amazon music hd on the tv too and I listen to music most of the day while working.

I will be buying a smallish BK sub to compliment and I have stands already so my question is, with up to around £1000 to spend what do you think of the following

1. Kef Ls50 meta
2. Concept 30
3. B&W 607 s3

Anything other that fits a white decor and not too big (WAF) that is considered a good speaker for both tv and music.

They're going to be 3 pretty different sounding speakers - is there an opportunity to at least test them out at a nearby dealer? This is the best thing you can do before spending a lot of money on unheard equipment, or recommended equipment by others.

In general though KEF are very neutral, B&W are a lively bright sound, QA - no idea actually, others can give you a general outlook on their presentation. But a Richersounds guy once told me QA were a warmer less detailed speaker and ushered me towards Dali instead (usual pinch of salt may be required).

Assuming you haven't got any HiFi speakers now, and are therefore are not looking to make a specific type of change (i.e for more warmth, more sparkle, more..... etc) then it's probably a safe bet to go with something neutral, like the KEF.

The LS50 Meta are an excellent speaker, I use a pair on my desk and they have what I believe to be a very accurate presentation. Certainly no part of the frequency response seems overemphasised or conversely missing/subdued in anyway. And even sitting with them on the desk, there's absolutely no harshness to them.

Caveats to the Meta's, they're fairly insensitive and drop to a pretty low min impedance, as a result are demanding of the attached amp. So depending what you're using(?) you may not get the best of them, but on the flip side that affords a nice upgrade path with them, I've seen people using seriously expensive amps and sources with LS's.

They're also going to be better with a sub (as you say you are getting), and with HT-movie use I would say having a HPF filter on them will be a must - again what amp you using? Is it a multi channel AVR?
If you haven't go an amp yet, absolutely I'd consider something like a NAD M10 or Lyngdorf 1120 - both will mate with the KEF well, whilst also giving you excellent integration with a sub, a HPF to the KEF (which also lessens the load on the amp itself), and are a couple of combinations I've seen in use here and on KEF groups.

I have a pair of LS50 on my desk too - they will certainly fill a room nicely if you complement them with a sub, and great for nearfield.

Personally not a fan of B&W 600&700 series.

Love QA speakers, but I've not heard the 30s - try to get a demo of all 3 - ideally in the same session as they are all pretty mainstream speakers. Make sure to add a sub in the demo to get a proper idea of the overall sound you are likely to get.

B&W-yuk. Sorry. Dynaudio Emit speakers might be an option too. They have one with 7 inch bass driver. Dynaudio house sound is very warm sounding, I’d say even warmer then QA.

QA is bit more livelier in treble but never tiring. Excellent choices both this brands. Should MA Gold be found you might give those try.

Gold series is warmer than silver series. Have listen and find out what sound you’d prefer.

Some like the B&W sound which is very wide and dynamic fun sounding but lacks the midrange and is quite bright in treble.

I’d google warm sound vs neutral. Depending on sitting distance room quality 70-100 watts from Marantz etc should be ideal. Maybe not the PM6007 with the lS50. Anyway it’s your call.

I tried dynaudio special 40 last week expecting to change speakers the shop me and wife had never heard anything so ear piercing bright. I was gutted to be honest. After all I had read about these speakers I was shocked. The concept 30 floor standers were a bit better but not enough to make us want to change. Perhaps it was just the shop room.

I tried dynaudio special 40 last week expecting to change speakers the shop me and wife had never heard anything so ear piercing bright. I was gutted to be honest. After all I had read about these speakers I was shocked. The concept 30 floor standers were a bit better but not enough to make us want to change. Perhaps it was just the shop room.
Maybe not. Could just be system match gone wrong. The ears needs to adjust to new sound.

But it’s very important the speaker stands were filled with sand. Usually shops don’t use dry sand.

I tried my marantz model 30. No idea on sand . The bass was extremely boomy the guy said they always use the bungs with them . . Not knocking dynaudio they make some stunning looking speakers. I may need to try them at home

I tried my marantz model 30. No idea on sand . The bass was extremely boomy the guy said they always use the bungs with them . . Not knocking dynaudio they make some stunning looking speakers. I may need to try them at home
Bungs used in the demo room. Incredible. In the demo room they’ve should at least position them 1 meter from the walls.

They were well over that distance and from the sides . I was shocked how poor they sounded.

Unless I have missed it, what am are you using to drive these. The Kef’s need a beefy amp to get the best out of them.

I would definitely look at these Revel M106 (not M16). Also available in walnut From the same seller (a pretty big dealer).

These use very good drivers from SB Acoustics and if the measurement and review are to be believed they are top of the tree at £2k, let alone £1k.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Unless I have missed it, what am are you using to drive these. The Kef’s need a beefy amp to get the best out of them.

I would definitely look at these Revel M106 (not M16). Also available in walnut From the same seller (a pretty big dealer).

These use very good drivers from SB Acoustics and if the measurement and review are to be believed they are top of the tree at £2k, let alone £1k.

Sorry, right now I have my denon avr-x2700h but can upgrade down the line, just don’t have speakers right now and so need to start there and can swap later.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
With Denon you’ve got now then maybe QA Concept 30 is ideal.

The latest video from AVForums

What makes a 10/10 4K Blu-ray disc?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom