Star Trek Into Darkness - Music from the Motion Picture Soundtrack Review & Comments

Tech News

Reaction score
Those score-fans hoping that Michael Giacchino might have boldly gone where he hadn't gone before with his music for Star Trek Into Darkness are going to be disappointed to find that he has only taken a couple of tentative steps out of the comforting Federation umbrella that he erected for himself first time around. Whilst certainly competent and very dramatic in places, the score is a huge rehash of precisely what has gone before. Just like the film, in fact.

A shortened album presentation, as we have here, is rarely ever going to be much consolation in the absence of a full score as far as fans are concerned. You are missing out on potentially exciting material regardless of how well the resulting arrangement has been put together ... and most modern releases, in this vogue, are carelessly flung together with no appreciation for flow or mood. Composers like Jerry Goldsmith and John Williams were adept at putting together such abbreviated concoctions...

Read the full review...

Brilliant, in-depth review, thanks.
Don't know whether to order this on CD or wait for the expanded release.

Last edited:
Thanks Chris great and thorough review as always.

Interesting what you say about this score not distinguishing itself as Williams did with Star Wars etc ... that is a great point.

Tbh I have never fully gelled with this music maker anyway ... Just something about his scores never being exciting enough and full of too much slow and boring material with a distinct lack or quantity of excitement. Yeah there are flurries if good stuff but usually all too brief.

This artist can only dream of 'Goldsmith' heights !

Don't think I can commit £15 to this album as it sounds like I may only like one or two of the tracks, which was the case with his first Trek album.

Greatly enjoyed the review though and has helped me identify a few tracks I will download from iTunes.

Keep the movie scores coming Chris.

Good news for you, Glenn!

You'd best lock 'n' load, dude. Finally, after me promising it years ago ... we're going back to war with Johnny Rambo!

Rambo III coming up very soon. Hopefully tomorrow night.

Jerry G and John J - it don't get any better. :smashin:

"It's a blue light."
"What does it do?
"It turns blue."

And they say Rambo's a dummy!

Cheers,

Chris McEneany :devil:

Brilliant, in-depth review, thanks.
Don't know whether to order this on CD or wait for the expanded release.

Well, there's been no official word about an expanded release ... although I am convinced that we will get one. It's just franchise marketing. They did it last time around with the snazzy book/BD sized package for the Trek reboot.

Even so, if you are into this score - and I reckon you are - I would probably suggest getting this one anyway. All the main themes are present and the thing moves like lightning. Plus, this way, you will have the album arrangement, which will differ from the complete score, and may even flow better.

Cheers,

Good news for you, Glenn!

You'd best lock 'n' load, dude. Finally, after me promising it years ago ... we're going back to war with Johnny Rambo!

Rambo III coming up very soon. Hopefully tomorrow night.

Jerry G and John J - it don't get any better. :smashin:

"It's a blue light."
"What does it do?
"It turns blue."

And they say Rambo's a dummy!

Cheers,

Fantastic !!!!

Look forward to that for sure .... it don't get much better than Jerry's Rambo scores and #3 could arguably be the best, although #2 has music greatness too ... as does First Blood but in a more restrained way.

I still enjoying playing the Rambo scores some 25 years on - testament to the quality of these scores.

Would be cool if your review triggers some new fans to Jerry G's finest hour/s !

"Who is this man .... God ?"
"No, god would have mercy .. Rambo won't"

The latest video from AVForums

What makes a 10/10 4K Blu-ray disc?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom