Remote woes.

Starbase804

Standard Member
Reaction score
Ok, kinda peculiar problem. My old Technics SA-DA8 remote power button stopped working, put it down to a bad remote but every other function works, just the power is broken. My phone IR blaster app can turn the receiver on/off so thought all was ok. Anyway, I recently bought a Panasonic remote on eBay and has nearly all the functions of the original. When it arrived I was thrilled that the power button works but just gone to use it now and EVERYTHING but the power button works. Phone app still works. Anyone got any ideas what might be wrong?

hi

are you saying its just the on/off button not working ?
yeah, every other function works. The on/off works if I use my phone IR blaster app and it did work when the new remote arrived last week but now the only function on the new remote that does't work is the on/off It's very odd.

I know it get said every time , but have you tried unplugging from the mains ,leave it 10 mins then try it ?
yeah. Like I say, the IR blaster on the phone app works it and the new remote worked the day it arrived but won't now. It's such an odd fault.

Most phone cameras will allow you to see the IR emitted like this.

Screenshot_2024-02-12-14-40-30-52_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg

It could just be a coincidence that both power buttons have failed. I can imagine the power being one of the most used buttons which may help explain it.

They're normally a membrane so if you can get the remote apart without breaking it you can often clean up the pads on the circuit board and clean any sticky grot off the membrane.

yeah its a strange one , hopefully someone will come along with a bit more knowledge

Most phone cameras will allow you to see the IR emitted like this.

View attachment 2003910

It could just be a coincidence that both power buttons have failed. I can imagine the power being one of the most used buttons which may help explain it.

They're normally a membrane so if you can get the remote apart without breaking it you can often clean up the pads on the circuit board and clean any sticky grot off the membrane.
both the old one and the new one show as transmitting. I checked that. The new one is a new one, it's not a used one from eBay. Worked the day it arrived.

ok , it gets weirder. Just ordered a learning remote from Amazon. I can program every other function but the power on/off. BUT, my phone IR blaster app still works, so the receiver is getting the command to switch on an off.

Can you program the universal remote using the IR blaster or is that what you're trying?

Can you program the universal remote using the IR blaster or is that what you're trying?
No. It doesn't seem to work with the phone. The remotes give a constant IR command signal but the phone only gives a single burst when the button is pressed so the learning remote doesn't learn. The learning remote does learn from the both the technics and Panasonic remotes. Every other function learns

Can you just leave the receiver on? or as I have done use a smart switch to turn it on with other items if req. I use routines in Amazon Alexa.

Alexa... turn on HiFi
Alexa... turn on TV
etc

The latest video from AVForums

What makes a 10/10 4K Blu-ray disc?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom