Panasonic E85 Recorder and 8x DVD-R Media

illustrator said:
run easy cd creator & click on the "file" menu (top left), see if there is "Record CD from CD Image" on the drop down menu. It should ask you where the iso file is located on your hard drive. open it, then put a blank cd-r in the drive & burn.

I haven't got easy cd creator so this is just gathered from a search on the net.
Your instructions for creating the firmware disc using Easy CD Creator worked ok and I have successfully installed it. Thank you

Unfortunately it has not cured the problems.

The machine still shuts down when loading a blank DVD-R or DVD RAM disc and if it goes into sleep mode it shuts down when you try to reactivate it. In both instances it does not go through the standard shutdown procedure. It just crashes the machine which I don’t think is good for the hard drive.

Looks like it needs to go to a Panasonic service centre or we’ll have to buy a new machine.

illustrator said:
run easy cd creator & click on the "file" menu (top left), see if there is "Record CD from CD Image" on the drop down menu. It should ask you where the iso file is located on your hard drive. open it, then put a blank cd-r in the drive & burn.

I haven't got easy cd creator so this is just gathered from a search on the net.
Your instructions for creating the firmware disc using Easy CD Creator worked ok and I have successfully installed it. Thank you

Unfortunately it has not cured the problems.

The machine still shuts down when loading a blank DVD-R or DVD RAM disc and if it goes into sleep mode it shuts down when you try to reactivate it. In both instances it does not go through the standard shutdown procedure. It just crashes the machine which I don’t think is good for the hard drive.

Looks like it needs to go to a Panasonic service centre or we’ll have to buy a new machine.

Following on from my original post (#37 on page 3)

My EH50 became more and more erratic when dubbing - until finally it failed completely. The HDD was ok but the DVD would not recognise any blank disc or any DVD at all.

I phoned Panasonic who started off asking me if I had tried a cleaning disc! After I explained how dead it was, he was happy to palm me off to a Service Centre. I checked it in under warranty - and a week later it was fixed with a new DVD assembly.

Not seen a selfcheck since… (touch wood!)

Just wondered if anyone has a firmware update for the DMR-HS2 (uk) I've downloaded the usa version but waiting to see if there is a uk version

illustrator said:
OK Guy's here's the DMR E85HEB UK Firmware

Main version number : 0960EL
Drive version number : J132

http://rapidshare.de/files/4553469/dmre85_firmware.iso.html

Give it a try, If it stops with the message ""unsupport" then you already have this software or If you know how to get into service mode tap 0 2 into the remote & watch the version numbers list in the display

HI

Ok I finally tried the firmware and I did get unsupport. I then tried from a CD and it seemed to run but onething I am confused about is, my Region still says 1, so does that mean it is multi-region?

I bought it as a multi-region.

Thanks

Bumping this one is a blast from the past I know but I have now begun to have problems with DVD-Rs being recognised on my Panasonic DMR-E95H (just got repaired as it had the IC voltage regulator problem).

I'm using Sony DMR47A3 Accucore 1x - 8x compatible DVD-Rs. Never had a problem with them and this unit ever before. I've only burnt about 10-12 discs in total (all these Sony DVD-Rs) in the 3 years I've had the recorder.

Last night I managed to burn 1 hour of camcorder footage to DVD-R in real time in XP mode. After that I put 3 DVD-Rs in and it threw a hissy fit with 2 of them, going round and round in self-check mode and it took me ages to be able to get it out of DVD mode and actaully eject the disc. One disc was fine and so I am creating 2 piles of discs it likes and discs it doesn't. Could the DVD-Rs themselves be faulty? Reading this thread it would seem it might be the drive or unit itself that is at fault?

I am getting seriously p'd off with Panasonic now for producing a recorder that has started developing these faults after 3 years. It cost a lot of money new and it should be designed to last. It would certainly put me off buying any of their hard drive recorders again.

Any thoughts?

UPDATE: I took in these 3 Sony DVD-Rs to work and tested them in my PC DVD-RW drive. They weren't recognised so maybe I have been a bit hasty and it is the discs after all. 3 Faulty in one box is a bit rare though. Right, now it's SONY not Panasonic who I think are rubbish! ;)

Last edited:
My E85 has issues with dubbing to DVD-Rs in high speed mode now - it appears to burn okay, but on playing back the disc they have frequent picture break up and eventually freeze. Dubbing at normal speed is fine, and dubbing at high speed to DVD-RAMs is also fine.
As this is my second Panasonic DVD recorder I'm not sure I'll invest again - I use a Virgin Media V+ for all my time shifting and the Panny really has become a secondary device used mainly for playing DVDs.
With my original Panny the hard disc died after two years. With this one, it's burning DVDs at high-speed. Generally the machine has been reliable, but my use of it has diminished to the point where it's almost superfluous - I don't think I've burned a DVD for a few months now. I can see it being retired to the bedroom TV around Christmas time.

My E85 has issues with dubbing to DVD-Rs in high speed mode now - it appears to burn okay, but on playing back the disc they have frequent picture break up and eventually freeze. Dubbing at normal speed is fine, and dubbing at high speed to DVD-RAMs is also fine.
As this is my second Panasonic DVD recorder I'm not sure I'll invest again - I use a Virgin Media V+ for all my time shifting and the Panny really has become a secondary device used mainly for playing DVDs.
With my original Panny the hard disc died after two years. With this one, it's burning DVDs at high-speed. Generally the machine has been reliable, but my use of it has diminished to the point where it's almost superfluous - I don't think I've burned a DVD for a few months now. I can see it being retired to the bedroom TV around Christmas time.

You are almost certainly blaming the machine incorrectly for what is a media fault.

The fact that it burns to RAM satisfactorily indicates that the laser is ok.

Either the media is low quality, mildly incompatible or is a poor batch.

You are almost certainly blaming the machine incorrectly for what is a media fault.

The fact that it burns to RAM satisfactorily indicates that the laser is ok.

Either the media is low quality, mildly incompatible or is a poor batch.
Apologies: I didn't realise how old this thread was - I retired my E-85 years ago! I now have the problem with its replacement, an EX-75.

Seems to be a hi-speed dubbing problem regardless of disc manufaturer (inc. Panasonic and Sony own brands). The machine's lasted twice as long as its predecessor, but has been used far less. Not sure I'd bother buying another when this one finally dies - will most likely go back to just a straight disc player.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

What makes a 10/10 4K Blu-ray disc?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom