1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic E85 Recorder and 8x DVD-R Media

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Canary Richard, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Canary Richard

Canary Richard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    We’ve had our Panasonic E85 since May 2004 and have found it very reliable.

I’ve recently bought some Verbatim 8x DVD-R discs and I am starting to have some of the discs fail when dubbing. At the end of the dubbing process they shut the machine down and on restarting the discs are useless.

I assume this is because the Panasonic E85 has 4x drive and is not compatible with the new 8x discs.

Is there a firmware update available, a supplier of 4x DVD-R media or any other solution?

Thanks

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,764
    I buy the Verbatim Pastel DVDs sold in packs of 5 from SVP - they use the Taiyo Yuden dye and I haven't had a single failure on my E85 with these dicsc.

3. Nelviticus

Nelviticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
  4. TobyW

TobyW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I bought some TDK x1-x8 -R's for my E85, and had no problems.

I see that the Japanese Panasonic website offers a downloadable patch for x8, but maybe it would turn the E85 into a Japanese machine?

5. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Have had no problems with recording 8x Datawrite Yellow on my E85. These obtained from SVP. My machine is about 15 months old now with no firmware updates. Maybe dubbing is the cause of your problem. Don't normally dub from the HDD. Use the 80GB hard disk in my Freeview PVR (Digifusion FVRT 150) to dub to the E85 by scart connection.

6. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,764
    I always dub from the HDD, so that should rule that one out :)

7. nialli

nialli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I'm having a similar problem with Imation, Sony and Pioneer x8 discs on my E85. However, I did successfully dub to one a programme recorded with the "DVD-R High Speed" setting enabled, which then allowed me to fill the rest of the disc with a non High Speed setting recording. Odd.
    I mainly use DVD-RAM these days as I'm not archiving as much as I used to, but it is bloody annoying. Not sure how to install a firmware upgrade (if there is one) but finding 4x DVD-Rs is nigh on impossible

8. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Check your local markets for 4x DVDR. I purchased two x 50 spindle "BUDGET" brand. Cost £16 for the 100 discs which also have a yellow label with gold printing. This includes the web address www.01ne.co.uk

Have used around forty of these so far on the E85 and they are 4x discs as stated on the label.

9. nialli

nialli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
  10. nialli

nialli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Just got this back from Panasonic:
    "In response, we have been informed by our technical support team that
    you will be able to use disks up to 8x as long as they display the following:

DVD
    (Disk Logo)
    R
    R 4.7

You will need to ensure that they are disks specifically manufactured
    for use with domestic DVD players and recorders, and are not stated to be
    for data or general use, as these are PC disks and are not compatible with
    the unit.

We recommend the use of disks manufactured for Panasonic, TDK, JVC or
    Maxell, as disks from other manufacturers are not fully compatible with
    our systems."

Hmmm. Seem to be saying only buy these brands to be fully compatible. I have now found that if I enable High Speed dubbing for DVD-R the Imation x8 discs are okay, so I can live with it, but I wonder if the inevitable x16 or x32 discs will work in future?

11. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    FWIW I have been using Verbatim disks, labelled as 16X with no problems in my UK E85.

12. katgem

katgem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i've just seen this thread after posting something similar :oops: lol. but i can say that TDK still do 4x discs, and i got these from musiczone, although they're a complete rip-off (but i didn't know it at the time). i feel a bit better knowing that 8x do work, especially as i have just bought some maxell ones, but am a bit disconcerted about (as nialli said) whether 16x/32x will not work, as they are bound to take over in future. very annoying, especially as i've only just got my recorder. i don't know why in the panasonic users guide it says it only takes 4x speed disc, if they do actually take 8x as well

13. dicky

dicky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    When your recorder was originally released there were only the 4x discs available - I suppose they were just covering themselves, higher speed
    DVD-R (ie 8x in a 4x drive) should not be a prob at all - I can see no reason why 16 and 32 will not work either when available. (-RW is another problem though and will not usually work in a lower specced machine)

Regards

14. Canary Richard

Canary Richard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you for all the replies to my initial post.

From what I can gather there are firmware upgrades regarding 8x discs being used with the Japanese & USA versions of the E85. So there must be some problem.

I emailed Panasonic UK to see if there is a firmware upgrade and received the same reply as nialli’s post, which did not mention any new firmware.

Looking at the very small print on the 8x Verbatim DVD-R packaging it says:

“This media is for use in 8x DVD-R/RW drives and DVD-R/RW video recorders. Earlier DVD-R/RW drives and video recorders require a firmware upgrade”

The TDK & Panasonic DVD-R disc packaging says they will work with 1x to 8x drives.

I suspect the 8x Verbatim discs have upset our E85. I’ve still got a few Verbatim 4x discs left and I am now getting the same problem. It does a high speed dub ok until it gets to 100% and then crashes the recorder. It is now also happening with Panasonic DVD-RAM discs. I seem to have solved the problem by switching off the E85 and the unplugging it for a few minutes. Since then I have been able to dub both DVD-RAM & 4x discs. I haven’t had the courage to try another 8x disc yet as I am worried about what damage crashing the recorder does.

15. nialli

nialli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Does it actually crash, or does it go into a prolonged Self Check? I've never had it crash entirely, but the Self Check can last around ten minutes, then ejects the disc, and then cycles again. I've unplugged mine after the Self Check finally finishes and I've turned the unit off. After that it's fine. I don't think it does the unit any damage, but I'm not an engineer.
    Never had a problem with either Maxell or Panasonic DVD-RAMs - seems the most reliable format to me.
    With DVD-R x8 discs it's annoying and I'm now resigned to make any recordings destined for dubbing in High Speed mode, which isn't the end of the world. Odd that the firmware fix is available elsewhere but not for the UK models. Bad, bad Panasonic UK - I've always found their kit first class, but this is very disappointing.

16. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Well after all that I will state again that my Panasonic E85, which is now 15 months old, has no troublwe whatsoever with recording on Datawrite Yellow 8x DVD-R, obtained from SVP. Have used over forty of these now and no problems. These are the first 8x discs I have used in this machine.

17. Canary Richard

Canary Richard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    When it displays that dubbing is 100% completed, it switches off immediately without any messages. There is not the usual gradual power down. On restarting self check takes a little longer than usual. Perhaps this is because a disc is in the machine. It doesn’t eject the disc except when you press the eject button

18. nialli

nialli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Is the disc then finished? I had an issue where the machine restarted when it finished finalising a disc, seemingly without successfully finalising the disc, but I then found the DVD-R played fine on other equipment regardless.

Start-up always takes longer if there's a disc in the tray, and I guess a disc that may not be finalised properly is going to take even longer. I still don't think the unit itself will be damaged, but I can't say for certain. Sorry.

19. Canary Richard

Canary Richard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It won’t finalise the disc. It says there is nothing on the disc.

If I select dubbing, it displays the amount of space available on the disc. This amount is less what was dubbed when the machine crashed. eg. If the total capacity of the blank disc is 4343MB and the failed dubbing took up 3200MB, the capacity of the disc would be displayed as 1143MB.

If Direct Navigator is selected there are no thumbnail images.

This is my recollection from a few days ago. I think it’s accurate!

20. nialli

nialli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Have subsequent discs been okay?

21. Canary Richard

Canary Richard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It now works ok with DVD-RAM and 4x DVD-R. I’m not going to try again with the Verbatim 8x discs as the packaging says we need a firmware update. These discs caused the E85 to crash several times and this could damage the hard drive.

I went to Maxell’s website and they have a DVD compatibility page that lists which discs work with the E85:

http://www.maxell.eu.com/DVD Compatibility.htm

I will try to source some Maxell discs over the weekend. I live in Fuerteventura, Canary Islands and the choice is not as good as in the UK. If I cannot buy them here, I’ll get some mailed out.

Looking at another post:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233237

It looks as if Toshiba users are having a similar problem with 8x DVD-R.

22. nialli

nialli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I've bought Maxell DVD-RAMs from www.play.com. Not sure if they mail outside the UK but I'd be surprised if they didn't.
    As I've already mentioned, I've had no trouble with x8 DVD-Rs if dubbing at high speed - have you tried that with your Verbatims?

23. Canary Richard

Canary Richard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    nialli

Sorry I have not replied earlier.

We buy books, CDs & DVDs from play.com. Unfortunately they don’t deliver blank media overseas. I’ve been unable to buy any Maxell DVD-R locally but have ordered some TDK 1x – 8x discs from an eBay seller. As most of Spain is on holiday in August, the postal service will probably be extra slow in delivering them.

All my problems with the Verbatim discs have been with high speed dubbing.

As soon I can get hold of some 1x – 8x discs, I’ll try them out and let you know how I get on. That’s assuming no other problems crop up!

Thanks

Richard

24. shaduf

shaduf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I bought a pack of 50 Verbatim 8 speed DVD-R's from Lynxdv.com to use on a Panasonic DMR100 and I couldn't get anywhere with them.

After making about five coasters (can't remember the exact problem as it is now about six months ago) I emailed Ian at Lynx.

He suggested I titled the discs first before I attempted to dub to them. I tried that and it worked and I now have only a few left and all the others worked fine and continue to work. I don't understand why it works but it certainly does.

Ian is known to be an expert on these matters and is a very well respected member of another forum I read.

If it works for you it's certainly safer than a firmware upgrade and you lose nothing by trying.

All the best.

Shaduf.

25. nialli

nialli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Shaduf

that's a useful tip. How do you title them first? I didn't know you could do that.

I had found that if I dub a few seconds of a high speed recording onto an x8 disc it would then be fine, but your solution sounds like an easy fix.

26. shaduf

shaduf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Nialli

Switch over to DVD
    Then - FUNCTIONS
    DISC INFORMATION
    ENTER TITLE
    SET

Then RETURN out.

That's on the Panasonic E100 but it's the same procedure on the HS2 and new EH50 so probably works on all the Pannys.

Shaduf

27. nialli

nialli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Shaduf

It's exactly the same on the E85, so many thanks - seems to work as you describe. I wonder why, though...doesn't seem to make much sense!

28. nialli

nialli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Sorry to say the pre-titling x8 speed discs didnt work consistently across brands for me (Imation two coasters out of five; TDK three consecutive coasters) :(

I'm going to stick with switching on High Speed enabling if something's likely to end up dubbed on DVD-R. Not ideal, but at least I've had those recordings dub successfully every time.

29. Canary Richard

Canary Richard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    nialli

Have you tried Panasonic’s 1x – 8x DVD-R discs? If they don’t work in their own machines, I think we have serious problems in store for the future. You can buy them in the UK from:

http://www.aprmedia.com/product.php?pid=2497

I don’t know how good apermedia.com are as suppliers. Unfortunately they don’t deliver overseas.

We should not have to try these work-rounds to record to DVD-R for a machine which was still being sold in February 2005. All we should need to do is put a disc from a reputable manufacturer into a Panasonic E85 and have a successful dub.

VHS recorders have been around in excess of 20 years. You can still buy a blank tape today which would work in any old VHS recorder. Owners of DVD recorders should not need to worry about the availability/usability of discs for a machine which is only 6 months old.

But I expect I am preaching to the converted!

30. shaduf

shaduf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4