The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar (Netflix) Movie Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Tried to watch it this evening, but nodded off. Trying to work out if its a long day leaving me knackered, or an inability to gel with even the shortest of Anderson's work. Your review has just about convinced me to give it another go over the next day (not tomorrow, that's all about The Creator!) or two..

Watched it this evening. It was the perfect story, written by the perfect author. It was put to film by the perfect director for this kind of thing. If you like this sort of thing.

I guarantee, you will either like it or you won't.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention Cas; I read quite a lot of Dahl as a teenager, including the Henry Sugar story, so I'm definitely up for this. Cas's 8 & IMDb's 7.5 (currently) bodes well for me so when I'm next on Netflix this will be the first thing I watch.

@Drax1 ; you nodded off during a half hour film? It must have been a VERY long day. :D

Thanks Cas. This is going straight on my watchlist. You're right, Wes Anderson + Roald Dahl is a match made in heaven.

I do enjoy Wes Anderson's films..they're just so different to everything else I watch it's refreshing! Wes Anderson and Roald Dahl's stories is indeed a perfect match and at less than 40 mins long I'll squeeze it in this evening. Thanks Cas!

Thanks for bringing this to my attention Cas; I read quite a lot of Dahl as a teenager, including the Henry Sugar story, so I'm definitely up for this. Cas's 8 & IMDb's 7.5 (currently) bodes well for me so when I'm next on Netflix this will be the first thing I watch.

@Drax1 ; you nodded off during a half hour film? It must have been a VERY long day. :D
I'm blaming a lack of accessibility to Anderson's work, but that's probably a record, even for me. :D I liked Rushmore, but not much else...Gave it a go mainly based on the Dahl link, who was big part of my childhood reading.

I enjoyed this one very much. Have a strong coffee before viewing is my suggestion.

In case others (like me) weren't aware one a day was dropping for 4 days...

Screenshot_20230929_183255_Facebook.jpg

Really enjoyed this, as another poster said, great story, direction and acting. A match made in heaven. I have added the other 3 to my watchlist as well. 9/10

I enjoyed this 8/10…but then I watched The Swan..how 15 mins can drag on like that is beyond me! 5/10 for that one! I’ll watch the other 2 later.
I like Wes Anderson’s stuff but there’s only so much staring into the camera and talking at superspeed one can take….

Really surprised how much i liked this. The acting was spot on and for such a short movie it told an interesting well rounded story. Not sure if it was my projector but the colours were a bit washed out. Overall i would give it a 9/10, gaining points because of its length, most films these days have a soft middle where i am reachign for my phone. Also not having a big set piece ending that ignored the rest of the movies story, for the sake of a special effects fights, was also pleasant.

The short 17m Poison, is also very good.
The little note at the end telling when it was written and who it remembered is touchingly odd.

Watched the other three last night:

Swan - 6/10
Rat Catcher - 6/10
Poison - 7/10

In all, they were all a good watch, well done narration, play-like sets and timing.

Last edited:
yeah watched Poison last night, not as good as Henry Sugar. Will catch up with the other 2 tonight

The latest video from AVForums

What makes a 10/10 4K Blu-ray disc?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom