QN95C or 8k tv?

P-P-S-S

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I am in the market for a new 65" TV. Current one is a Samsung Q90R 55". I tried the S95C oled but after a bad experience (thanks to the unhelpful folk at Currys) and the fear of screenburn I think I might be better sticking with a Qled instead.

I have been looking at the QN95C and have heard good feedback about it however the lack of the OneConnect box puts me off a bit.

I have noticed that the 8k range have still got the OneConnect box. The 65" QN700C seems to be within my price range. (I believe I can get a 20% off through the BlueLight card as well?).

Am I best going for the Qn700C instead of the Qn95C?

I guess the QN800c and Qn900c will offer more features but I am not sure if the features would justify the jump in price?

Any opinions please?

You do not want an 8K TV. There's nothing to watch in 8K except some videos on YouTube. Also, upscaling is going to look fuzzy because it has to upscale to 8K instead of just 4K. With 8K you are paying extra for a TV you cannot take full advantage of ever. The UK is still broadcasting way too much SD.

As for LCD TVs, have a look a the TCL C845 or Hisense U8K. They are going to be less expensive and better picture quality then the 4K Samsung you are thinking of.

There are people that swear by the upscaling capabilities of the 8k TVs. That's the only reason I was considering them.

I am not sure about the TCL or Hisense brands either because I havent heard much about them and the brand junkie in me gets a bit snobby :D

8K is pointless. It's beyond your ability to see the difference between it and 4K at normal viewing distances or unless the screen was 150"+
You'd need to sit 6 ft or less from a 100" 8K TV to see a benefit over 4K and at that distance you'd barely be able to see the entire screen.

Many cinemas are still 2K.
Many movies only use a 2K DI due to the amount of VFX they require and doing them at higher resolution would take longer and cost vastly more.

Yes, 4K probably upscales well, but why do it when it looks better native?
High bitrate 1080p Blurays will mostly be fine, but broadcast 1080p TV could look poor and DVD and lower will be truly awful. Start watching the more obscure digital channels with low bitrate content and they'll be unwatchable.

DVD upscaled to 1080p has to be upscaled by a factor of 4
To 4K by a factor of 16
To 8K by a factor of 64. So that's 63 fake pixels for every real one.

There's only so much you can do with fake pixels.

The only reason they exist is to try to get people to upgrade their TV. They have no current viable benefit over a 4K set unless you edit your own 8K content on them.

Last edited:
8K is pointless. It's beyond your ability to see the difference between it and 4K at normal viewing distances or unless the screen was 150"+
You'd need to sit 6 ft or less from a 100" 8K TV to see a benefit over 4K and at that distance you'd barely be able to see the entire screen.

Many cinemas are still 2K.
Many movies only use a 2K DI due to the amount of VFX they require and doing them at higher resolution would take longer and cost vastly more.

Yes, 4K probably upscales well, but why do it when it looks better native?
High bitrate 1080p Blurays will mostly be fine, but broadcast 1080p TV could look poor and DVD and lower will be truly awful. Start watching the more obscure digital channels with low bitrate content and they'll be unwatchable.

DVD upscaled to 1080p has to be upscaled by a factor of 4
To 4K by a factor of 16
To 8K by a factor of 64. So that's 63 fake pixels for every real one.

There's only so much you can do with fake pixels.

The only reason they exist is to try to get people to upgrade their TV. They have no current viable benefit over a 4K set unless you edit your own 8K content on them.
Well, I have seen some SD content remastered to 4K/SDR on YouTube and it looked fine.

Yes, I know there is a difference between upscaled and remastered. But it does go to show that SD content can be made to look good.

By the looks of it I am better off going back to the S95C oled. I will have to put up with the updated Tizen OS which covers the whole screen rather than just a bar at the bottom but that's a minor price to pay. I would have gone for the Sony A95L but the price is prohibitive.

There are people that swear by the upscaling capabilities of the 8k TVs. That's the only reason I was considering them.

I am not sure about the TCL or Hisense brands either because I havent heard much about them and the brand junkie in me gets a bit snobby :D
Those people are not to be trusted since they think 8K is a good idea.

TCL & Hisence are Chinese TVs that give a lot for less money. They are known brands.

By the looks of it I am better off going back to the S95C oled. I will have to put up with the updated Tizen OS which covers the whole screen rather than just a bar at the bottom but that's a minor price to pay. I would have gone for the Sony A95L but the price is prohibitive.
Why not the LG G3 which has the apps in a row at the bottom of the screen?

Why not the LG G3 which has the apps in a row at the bottom of the screen?
I like the OneConnect box better. Plus the G3 is much more expensive

I like the OneConnect box better. Plus the G3 is much more expensive
According to the video linked from the font page about the Philips OLED+908, it seems that MLA has deeper blacks and goes brighter in a bright room then QD-OLED. So if your room is bright, the G3 is going to outperform the S95C.

As for LCD TVs, have a look a the TCL C845 or Hisense U8K. They are going to be less expensive and better picture quality then the 4K Samsung you are thinking of.
Having had both the TCL C845 and an older Samsung QN95A which is not to dissimilar too the QN95C, I would have to disagree with you there.

Sure, there are some Good things about the TCL. Android TV is a lot better than Tizen for starters. The real problem with thr TCL though is it's absolutely awful viewing angles. Additionally, the peak brightness is ruined by the poor black levels in HDR content. The black bars on a movie for example are washed out grey. Such a pity.

The QN95A/B/C are far superior in picture quality, mainly due to the proper deep blacks in HDR and excellent viewing angle (for an LCD) IMHO.

I'd say save your money and get a QN95A or B as there doesn't seem to be a great deal of difference between them.

I cannot speak for the Hisense set as I've never seen it 😃

I've just purchased the 85 Q900c it arrives on the 27th,still have the 85 QN95A...so l will be able to make a REAL owners review of this TV compared to a 4k tv.main reasons for purchasing this TV, is for the deep blacks and its awesome hdr capabilities who cares about 8k content....if you can afford it go for it....

I am in the market for a new 65" TV. Current one is a Samsung Q90R 55". I tried the S95C oled but after a bad experience (thanks to the unhelpful folk at Currys) and the fear of screenburn I think I might be better sticking with a Qled instead.

I have been looking at the QN95C and have heard good feedback about it however the lack of the OneConnect box puts me off a bit.

I have noticed that the 8k range have still got the OneConnect box. The 65" QN700C seems to be within my price range. (I believe I can get a 20% off through the BlueLight card as well?).

Am I best going for the Qn700C instead of the Qn95C?

I guess the QN800c and Qn900c will offer more features but I am not sure if the features would justify the jump in price?

Any opinions please?
I agree with these comments
We recently purchased that model 700c and SD TV is unwatchable
Also I’ll have to get rid of all my SD DVD’s
HDTV is OK but not great
Blu-Ray DVD’s however are really excellent.

I agree with these comments
We recently purchased that model 700c and SD TV is unwatchable
Also I’ll have to get rid of all my SD DVD’s
HDTV is OK but not great
Blu-Ray DVD’s however are really excellent.
HDTV by that you mean 1080p when does 1080p look great? even on my 85 qn95a most 1080p looks average at best ....8k tv's are niche models and really one should only buy them for 4k content/4k HDR bluray discs

HDTV by that you mean 1080p when does 1080p look great? even on my 85 qn95a most 1080p looks average at best ....8k tv's are niche models and really one should only buy them for 4k content/4k HDR bluray discs
One should never buy an 8K TV as there is no 8K content other then YouTube. HD does look good in a good 4K TV. But it won't look good on an 8K TV. Too much upscaling and the 700C is not nearly as good at upscaling then the LG G3 or Sony A95L.

One should never buy an 8K TV as there is no 8K content other then YouTube. HD does look good in a good 4K TV. But it won't look good on an 8K TV. Too much upscaling and the 700C is not nearly as good at upscaling then the LG G3 or Sony A95L.
Your obsessed with these 2 oleds....you should drop the hate on 8k/samung TVs....people will buy whatever they like to....so jump off yer soap box

Your obsessed with these 2 oleds....you should drop the hate on 8k/samung TVs....people will buy whatever they like to....so jump off yer soap box
May go 8k next year let us know how good/bad 4k looks on this tv and any Issues that crop up.
Good luck with your new tv and enjoy.:thumbsup:

May go 8k next year let us know how good/bad 4k looks on this tv and any Issues that crop up.
SD will look not good and HD will be more fuzzy then a 4K TV.

Yeah my new TV arrived and left all within the space of a day ....it arrived with this on the screen,luckily l purchased directly from Samsung and they picked the set up the next morning

Attachments

• 20231227_190622.jpg
    20231227_190622.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 106
I am ordering the 85 inch Q95C for delivery next week. My 65 inch Q700ATXXU failed after 2 and a bit years and has been written off, so i am upgrading size and quality
I notice my previous tv was 60hz and the new is capable f up to 144hz so quite eager to see the difference.
Once i have set it all up and got my q950A sound bar system firing on all cylinders i will do a review for this forum

I am ordering the 85 inch Q95C for delivery next week. My 65 inch Q700ATXXU failed after 2 and a bit years and has been written off, so i am upgrading size and quality
I notice my previous tv was 60hz and the new is capable f up to 144hz so quite eager to see the difference.
Once i have set it all up and got my q950A sound bar system firing on all cylinders i will do a review for this forum
Beforeyou go for the QN95C, remember that Samsung in 2023 does not upscale all that well. And their LCD are worse then OLED.

The latest video from AVForums

What makes a 10/10 4K Blu-ray disc?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom