Pio mxe and HDE

keyser

Standard Member
Reaction score
Whats the price difference between these two models?

What is their difference concerning connections and do they alter in screen burn-in protection modes?

Do they both have 100hz progressive scan, on some sites they only mention this on the HDE?

Keyser

The MXE is around £750.00 (1,163 EURO) less expensive than the HDE model.

The HDE has an External Media Box (R03) - with VGA, SCART (RGB and Composite), S-Video and Component connections.

The MXE has a Video card (PDA-5002) - with VGA, Composite, S-Video, BNC x5 (RGB or YUV) and DVI.

The HDE has no screen saver options whilst the MXE has three different modes plus programmable timer.

The HDE has the 100hz - not user on the MXE its not mentioned in any info I have. Also note that the HDE is not PAL progressive compatible.

Best regards

Joe

PS Did you post this same message a while back - or am I gong mad!

Joe,

Thanks very much. I´m sorry if I have posted this before, it might be the case (but I don´t think so) but I can´t remember the answer if I allready got one... so it´s very likely that I´m the one going mad not you:)

Sorry for being a royal pain in the inferior end, but I have a few more questions,

1. Is the DVI input DVI-D or DVI-I and is it HDCP?

2. Whats "BNC x5 (RGB or YUV)", can I connect the standard DVD component outputs (red, green and blue if I remember right).

3.This I have asked before but have forgotten the answer and couldn´t find it(pardon the alzheimer syndrome), when do Pio plan on replacing their current lineup (504mxe?), do you think we´ll see anything at CEDIA?

Regards,
Biggi "keyser"
ICELAND

Keyser

Maybe we are both going mad!!!

01. The DVI input on the PDA-5002 cards as supplied with the PDP-433 and 503 MXE displays is DVI-D.

02. The DVI input is NOT HDCP compliant - if I followed my technical man at Pioneer UK correctly if it was HDCP compliant then it would only accept a video signal from an HDCP compliant DVD player (not too many of them around at present!).

03. Input 02 on the MXE displays is a set of five BNC connectors - you can use all five for an RGBHV source or the first three for a YUV source; you use the on-screen menus to tell the display what you are using.

04. The PDA-5002 card converts any 50Hz PAL signal to a 100Hz PAL signal.

05. The PDP-503MXE replacemet/revisison will not appear for at least another 18 months. (You will see a revision of the HDE models in the new year - so I'm told).

Best regards

Joe

Don't forget that a massive difference is that the MXE uses 10-bit processing (>580million colours) while the HDE uses 8-bit processing (standard 16.7million colours. Lots of resellers foget to mention this!

05. The PDP-503MXE replacemet/revisison will not appear for at least another 18 months. (You will see a revision of the HDE models in the new year - so I'm told).

Aargh. Just placed an order for a 433HDE. It is not due to arrive for a couple of weeks at least. Is it worth waiting for the new one, what does the upgrade consist of?

Cheers
Craig

Craig B,

I think Snowman has posted stuff in the past about Pioneer-planned improvements to the HDE Media Box on future releases. Try doing a search on his posts? I think it included talk of PAL prog support (which might be nice).:D

Cheers
Phil

Phil, thanks for that, I had a look at that post but it was a bit old. I am a bit concerned with this being such a major item.

I would not be bothered if the only difference between the old and new was a firmware upgrade to the media box, although this seems unlikely. I imagine that going from 8-10 bit processing would involve quite a lot more than a firmware upgrade.

Anybody got any ideas or contacts that can find out some solid information quickly?

Originally posted by j_smit
Don't forget that a massive difference is that the MXE uses 10-bit processing (>580million colours) while the HDE uses 8-bit processing (standard 16.7million colours. Lots of resellers foget to mention this!

I doubt that many peoples eyes could spot the difference! :D

The visual differences between the two are not that hard to see.

It will be more than just the 8-bit vs 10-bit factor, but the MXE to my eye was noticably better than the HDE.

Mark

I recently saw another forumites MXE & he pointed out to me a problem he'd noticed, that any high contrast image left behind an after image.
The example I was shown was an on screen graphic from his DVD player, which when gone could still be seen slightly (burnt in).
Is this normal with these panels?

Cheers, Paul

After-image and burn-in are not the same thing.

On pretty must any of the newer high-contrast plasmas if you display a very high contrast static image for a period of time then it will be visible for a liitle while after the image source is turned off, this is 'After-Image'

If the image was permanently visible that would be 'burn-in'.

Mark

Thanks Mark

Does the MXE have any lights on the front of the set?
I can't remember, I know that the HDE has a power indicator.

Cheers, Paul

Paden,

The MXE has a small LED on the bottom left of the screen. It is red when in standby and it changes to green when on.

Lennyz

The latest video from AVForums

What makes a 10/10 4K Blu-ray disc?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom