Pio mxe and HDE

keyser

Standard Member
Reaction score
Whats the price difference between these two models?

What is their difference concerning connections and do they alter in screen burn-in protection modes?

Do they both have 100hz progressive scan, on some sites they only mention this on the HDE?

Keyser

The MXE is around £750.00 (1,163 EURO) less expensive than the HDE model.

The HDE has an External Media Box (R03) - with VGA, SCART (RGB and Composite), S-Video and Component connections.

The MXE has a Video card (PDA-5002) - with VGA, Composite, S-Video, BNC x5 (RGB or YUV) and DVI.

The HDE has no screen saver options whilst the MXE has three different modes plus programmable timer.

The HDE has the 100hz - not user on the MXE its not mentioned in any info I have. Also note that the HDE is not PAL progressive compatible.

Best regards

Joe

PS Did you post this same message a while back - or am I gong mad!

Joe,

Thanks very much. I´m sorry if I have posted this before, it might be the case (but I don´t think so) but I can´t remember the answer if I allready got one... so it´s very likely that I´m the one going mad not you:)

Sorry for being a royal pain in the inferior end, but I have a few more questions,

1. Is the DVI input DVI-D or DVI-I and is it HDCP?

2. Whats "BNC x5 (RGB or YUV)", can I connect the standard DVD component outputs (red, green and blue if I remember right).

3.This I have asked before but have forgotten the answer and couldn´t find it(pardon the alzheimer syndrome), when do Pio plan on replacing their current lineup (504mxe?), do you think we´ll see anything at CEDIA?

Regards,
Biggi "keyser"
ICELAND

Keyser

Maybe we are both going mad!!!

01. The DVI input on the PDA-5002 cards as supplied with the PDP-433 and 503 MXE displays is DVI-D.

02. The DVI input is NOT HDCP compliant - if I followed my technical man at Pioneer UK correctly if it was HDCP compliant then it would only accept a video signal from an HDCP compliant DVD player (not too many of them around at present!).

03. Input 02 on the MXE displays is a set of five BNC connectors - you can use all five for an RGBHV source or the first three for a YUV source; you use the on-screen menus to tell the display what you are using.

04. The PDA-5002 card converts any 50Hz PAL signal to a 100Hz PAL signal.

05. The PDP-503MXE replacemet/revisison will not appear for at least another 18 months. (You will see a revision of the HDE models in the new year - so I'm told).

Best regards

Joe

Don't forget that a massive difference is that the MXE uses 10-bit processing (>580million colours) while the HDE uses 8-bit processing (standard 16.7million colours. Lots of resellers foget to mention this!

05. The PDP-503MXE replacemet/revisison will not appear for at least another 18 months. (You will see a revision of the HDE models in the new year - so I'm told).

Aargh. Just placed an order for a 433HDE. It is not due to arrive for a couple of weeks at least. Is it worth waiting for the new one, what does the upgrade consist of?

Cheers
Craig

Craig B,

I think Snowman has posted stuff in the past about Pioneer-planned improvements to the HDE Media Box on future releases. Try doing a search on his posts? I think it included talk of PAL prog support (which might be nice).:D

Cheers
Phil

Phil, thanks for that, I had a look at that post but it was a bit old. I am a bit concerned with this being such a major item.

I would not be bothered if the only difference between the old and new was a firmware upgrade to the media box, although this seems unlikely. I imagine that going from 8-10 bit processing would involve quite a lot more than a firmware upgrade.

Anybody got any ideas or contacts that can find out some solid information quickly?

Originally posted by j_smit
Don't forget that a massive difference is that the MXE uses 10-bit processing (>580million colours) while the HDE uses 8-bit processing (standard 16.7million colours. Lots of resellers foget to mention this!

I doubt that many peoples eyes could spot the difference! :D

The visual differences between the two are not that hard to see.

It will be more than just the 8-bit vs 10-bit factor, but the MXE to my eye was noticably better than the HDE.

Mark

I recently saw another forumites MXE & he pointed out to me a problem he'd noticed, that any high contrast image left behind an after image.
The example I was shown was an on screen graphic from his DVD player, which when gone could still be seen slightly (burnt in).
Is this normal with these panels?

Cheers, Paul

After-image and burn-in are not the same thing.

On pretty must any of the newer high-contrast plasmas if you display a very high contrast static image for a period of time then it will be visible for a liitle while after the image source is turned off, this is 'After-Image'

If the image was permanently visible that would be 'burn-in'.

Mark

Thanks Mark

Does the MXE have any lights on the front of the set?
I can't remember, I know that the HDE has a power indicator.

Cheers, Paul

Paden,

The MXE has a small LED on the bottom left of the screen. It is red when in standby and it changes to green when on.

Lennyz

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom