Perlisten S & R Series Owners Thread

Wow that’s interesting. Would you be prepared to comment on how similar or how different they might be - i’m assuming you probably using some for LCR and some for surrounds so hard to contrast, I suspect . Its certainly easier to find commentary / thoughts/ reviews on the freestanding versions then on the walls and I’m wondering whether what’s said of the boxed speakers can be assumed of the in-walls.

My LCR are actually S5monitors. Part of the reason was I needed a baffle wall at the font to accommodate the subs which are pretty big. They have confirmed inwall and onwall subs are coming so that may be of interest to you.

Then at the sides for my front wides and surrounds I couldn’t go into the walls plus I wanted to angle them toward MLP.
But behind the seats not only could I accommodate them but needed them as we use that walkway and S4s would have blocked access.

So I don’t think I can really comment on a true in wall Perlisten experience as mine are only used for rears.

That said, I’m really pleased with them but I think there was a Matthew Poes or Audioholics video and the verdict was extremely good in both measurements and performance. The Perlisten engineering is very good in general and the fact they use back boxes in wall makes a big difference.
Wish me luck, I’m off to break the news to my wife, that we can’t squeeze her in the cinema on your advice.
There are four of us, and I can’t fit five seats in a row if I wanna go Valencia. I could fit in four, but then there’s no sweet spot. So I figured I’d go with with the first row of 3 in prime position and then a second row on a riser, which will just have to accept, whatever audio comes its way. In a sense then I’ve answered my own question as I guess it matters less if the Perlistens only address the front row properly vertically.

I had to drop from 5 to 4 seats but all I did was position 3 centrally giving me an MLP and one slightly off. Works really well and some people don’t notice till I point it out, but I think thats more to do with my room layout.

You can see the seats and in walls here on my thread if it helps
I work in London and live in Hertfordshire these days - so if anyone knows of demonstration facilities in either of those vicinities, do let me know - else I’m not a verse to travelling for the cause

As I said it won’t be much of an inwall experience but I’m about 20 mins from Herts and London in North Essex if you wanted a listen but they are S series.
I’m not aware of any show rooms in the south with Karma and Yorkshire AV being the only ones I know that have them in their demo rooms.

Anyone got in-wall Perl’s? Contemplating r5i or r4i vs the new (meta) kef 3160 or 5160’s for my dedicated build coming up.
I have mate and love them. I went - on my calibrator’s recommendation - with R5i front array and R4i for surrounds and rears. You won’t be disappointed going either way or mixing. The clarity and detail they bring to my room, at this price point, is second to none.

If you wanted a demo you could do worse than arrange a visit to Karma AV (York). They have a demo room with both Perlisten models as part of the set-up. This has to be done through a dealer but if you don’t have one hit me up with a PM and I can provide details of one who I’m sure would be more than happy to arrange something for you.

My LCR are actually S5monitors. Part of the reason was I needed a baffle wall at the font to accommodate the subs which are pretty big. They have confirmed inwall and onwall subs are coming so that may be of interest to you.

Then at the sides for my front wides and surrounds I couldn’t go into the walls plus I wanted to angle them toward MLP.
But behind the seats not only could I accommodate them but needed them as we use that walkway and S4s would have blocked access.

So I don’t think I can really comment on a true in wall Perlisten experience as mine are only used for rears.

That said, I’m really pleased with them but I think there was a Matthew Poes or Audioholics video and the verdict was extremely good in both measurements and performance. The Perlisten engineering is very good in general and the fact they use back boxes in wall makes a big difference.

I had to drop from 5 to 4 seats but all I did was position 3 centrally giving me an MLP and one slightly off. Works really well and some people don’t notice till I point it out, but I think thats more to do with my room layout.

You can see the seats and in walls here on my thread if it helps

As I said it won’t be much of an inwall experience but I’m about 20 mins from Herts and London in North Essex if you wanted a listen but they are S series.
I’m not aware of any show rooms in the south with Karma and Yorkshire AV being the only ones I know that have them in their demo rooms.
Thanks hugely.

I suspected, you might be using in walls for rears or surrounds. Still I think I had gathered that there’s a lot of congruence between the in walls and the monitors if installed properly.

I honestly hadn’t considered your idea of orienting four seats. it simply had never occurred to me, to be anything other than symmetrical but now you’ve got me thinking ….. and also wondering whether my OCD could handle it.

Thank you kindly for the invitation, I might just take you up on it if you’re genuinely happy to have a stranger visit…I thought that was Mark’s shtick 😜 Oddly enough, I see we joined the Forum 2 weeks apart back in 2006….. actually hang on, I’ve just clicked on your build thread and realised I’ve poured over the 2012 build, as well as the 2022 sequel. to be fair, I’m less likely to go for the S4 then the R4 or R5.

I have mate and love them. I went - on my calibrator’s recommendation - with R5i front array and R4i for surrounds and rears. You won’t be disappointed going either way or mixing. The clarity and detail they bring to my room, at this price point, is second to none.

If you wanted a demo you could do worse than arrange a visit to Karma AV (York). They have a demo room with both Perlisten models as part of the set-up. This has to be done through a dealer but if you don’t have one hit me up with a PM and I can provide details of one who I’m sure would be more than happy to arrange something for you.
Thanks, that’s a strong endorsement. Had you ever had inwalls before? If not, what were your speakers prior to getting the Perlistens?

Thanks hugely.

I suspected, you might be using in walls for rears or surrounds. Still I think I had gathered that there’s a lot of congruence between the in walls and the monitors if installed properly.

I honestly hadn’t considered your idea of orienting four seats. it simply had never occurred to me, to be anything other than symmetrical but now you’ve got me thinking ….. and also wondering whether my OCD could handle it.

Thank you kindly for the invitation, I might just take you up on it if you’re genuinely happy to have a stranger visit…I thought that was Mark’s shtick 😜 Oddly enough, I see we joined the Forum 2 weeks apart back in 2006….. actually hang on, I’ve just clicked on your build thread and realised I’ve poured over the 2012 build, as well as the 2022 sequel. to be fair, I’m less likely to go for the S4 then the R4 or R5.

Trust me when I say I have major OCD when it comes to most things and would not out up with the seats unless they looked OK.

Yep I checked your profile first and only invite people that are either long term members, or I;ve had delalings with or come recommended by fellow members I know.. So far I've managed to avoid any axe murderers and you appear to be sound mind as you're considering Perlisten ;)

I've heard the full range of R Series too and not only will you not be disappointed, you'll save a lot of money too!

@drillo this was the video I was thinking of. Some good insight and might help.

Thanks, that’s a strong endorsement. Had you ever had inwalls before? If not, what were your speakers prior to getting the Perlistens?
Yeah Derek had jbl SCL series (2 and 4 I believe). I think he really wanted to like them but found them too bright/harsh.

Last edited:
We can arrange demonstrations at Karma AV for anyone interested in Perlisten.

Best, Tom

Last edited:
I had the JBL models - as Mark noted.

Here's a link to my post earlier in the thread

Though Mark's observation is correct, with the caveats in the quoted post.

These things with Trinnov optimiser are shocking. S5ms just don't break a sweat. I wonder how they'd sound with an ampltitude 16.

These things with Trinnov optimiser are shocking. S5ms just don't break a sweat. I wonder how they'd sound with an ampltitude 16.
Extremely good! 😉

Both the R and S series sound excellent with an Amplitude 16. We run both and both achieve fantastic results.

Best, Tom

apparently on sale from12/4/2024

interesting thing is they are satin black as standard instead of having to pay a extra 20% premium if you want satin black on a Dominus sub

Interesting re finish as these appear to be gloss finish:

1712907112511.jpeg

This is the R10 & R15

Last edited by a moderator:
18" drivers 🤯

The first batch of R series sealed subs all came in in gloss black finishes.

Best, Tom

should be a great performer

Absolutely but the install costs are going to be a bitch. Repointing a 5 story Victorian brick house is not going to be cheap. And then there's the possibility of more steels required....

The first batch of R series sealed subs all came in in gloss black finishes.

Best, Tom
Just seems odd their website says the finish is satin, & our US chums have satin finish on their models.

Just seems odd their website says the finish is satin, & our US chums have satin finish on their models.
I believe the UK Distributor is looking into it. Will feedback as to why later on.

Best, Tom

The 18" R is the same price as the Dominus certified 15". The amp on the 18" isn't as good; but should be comparable in other areas (app/platform etc). I imagine that some of the cost of the 15" is in the certification. Has anybody compared them in terms of real world performance?

I'm looking for a premium sealed sub to replace my old BK Monolith!

The latest video from AVForums

What makes a 10/10 4K Blu-ray disc?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom