Panasonic DMP BDT330 (or similar, I should imagine)

TVEye

Established Member
Reaction score
Please can somebody explain in plain English, what on earth these hdmi video output settings are all about?
I have read them over and over again, but they might as well be in Egyptian hieroglyphics for all the sense they make to me. I have the In The Court of the Crimson King Blu-ray, which no matter what I do will not shift from 1920 x 1080 x 60p, although perhaps it wasn't supposed to be in 4K. I would have thought so though, because the package included identical content on a DVD, the only difference as far as I can tell being the sound output options.
So I delved into the settings menu, only to be confronted by ...
'Select 24p to output recorded 24p BD-Video / DVD-Video in 24p.

Select 24p(4K) to output recorded 24p BD-Vieo / DVD Video in 24p after upconverting to 4k2K.
To up convert to 4k2K, set HDMI Video Format to Automatic

Set 24p of OPTION to On to output DVD-Video in 24p'

So what setting should I use for
a) Blu-Ray (presumably capable of 4K)
b) DVD HD upscaled to 4K (assuming that really is worthwhile
c) Older DVDs (I have a Rik Mayall Presents series) that I would love to see upscaled to some degree.

p.s. Now I have just read elsewhere that you can only use a 1080i setting (not 1080p) in any of the menu options when outputting via hdmi. God help me.

Check the disc. I've several blu ray concerts that are outputting at 1080i/60. The player is upscaling to 1920. If you have a 4K TV then no matter what you send from the player the TV will upscale to fit the screen. If the image is filling the TV screen then all is well.

I don't like Panasonic because they don't allow for Source Direct which allows the TV to do all the upscaling rather than the player.

Check the disc. I've several blu ray concerts that are outputting at 1080i/60. The player is upscaling to 1920. If you have a 4K TV then no matter what you send from the player the TV will upscale to fit the screen. If the image is filling the TV screen then all is well.

I don't like Panasonic because they don't allow for Source Direct which allows the TV to do all the upscaling rather than the player.
I've obviously misunderstood then, because I thought upscaling meant performing some kind of magic with the pixels to get the appearance of higher resolution, not simply greater size. I have options on the TV to make any video input fit the screen, although not always desirable, because it can't correct the ratio without cropping the picture. I assumed that upscaling was the ability to make it look like an image scanned at 600 dpi rather than 300dpi (for instance).

The player will display from it’s on screen output what the original image source is, eg 1920 x 1080 60p, but display back to your tv as 4k, it should show this too.

What output resolution is your tv displaying?

The player will display from it’s on screen output what the original image source is, eg 1920 x 1080 60p, but display back to your tv as 4k, it should show this too.

What output resolution is your tv displaying?
1920 x 1080 60p no matter what the settings are.

1920 x 1080 60p no matter what the settings are.
Have you got a 4K TV?
Sounds as if you haven't if the TV is displaying an output resolution of 1920 x 1080.
An upscaling player can only upscale to 4K if used with a 4K TV. With a HD TV the player output resolution cannot be higher than what the HD TV itself can display i.e. 1920 X 1080

Have you got a 4K TV?
Sounds as if you haven't if the TV is displaying an output resolution of 1920 x 1080.
An upscaling player can only upscale to 4K if used with a 4K TV. With a HD TV the player output resolution cannot be higher than what the HD TV itself can display i.e. 1920 X 1080

I think that maybe you just have an over-expectation of what these technologies are capable of.

The subjective appreciation of any high definition content depends so much on how the original material was aquired and processed.

Given that 'Rik Mayall presents' was produced back in the 1990's I doubt ( but don't know) that it was anywhere near a high definition production environment.
So barely even looking like HD is probably to be expected.

I think that maybe you just have an over-expectation of what these technologies are capable of.

The subjective appreciation of any high definition content depends so much on how the original material was aquired and processed.

Given that 'Rik Mayall presents' was produced back in the 1990's I doubt ( but don't know) that it was anywhere near a high definition production environment.
So barely even looking like HD is probably to be expected.
The Rik Mayall DVD has the look of something recreated from a VHS tape, so really quite poor, but I was hoping to see some kind of improvement.
However, the King Crimson Blu-Ray and DVD came out last year, so I would have expected 4K to be at least possible. To be honest the content hardly makes it worthwhile, but I suppose I was hoping to see what a high-quality Blu-Ray looks like. Sadly, it seems this isn't in that category.

The latest video from AVForums

What makes a 10/10 4K Blu-ray disc?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom