Budget TV options

jimmyca69

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Doing some work on the master bedroom and I have managed to get a replacement TV into the mix.

We currently have a basic LG 28" LED TV wall mounted in there (on wall opposite bed so directly facing) and are looking to go with a wall mounted 40" screen as thats the max size I can have. Also in the requirements are aerial input for freeview and the ability to install Apple TV as current LG doesn't have the Apple TV app and it's a pain. Usage is split between freeview content (30%) through aerial input, and then mostly apps (70%) - Netflix, Prime, Disney+, Apple TV, Plex, iPlayer etc.

Budget wise I was aiming for £200 as given the 40" max screen size, the distance to the TV - around 9ft - and that most TV watching is done when room is dark, anything I buy will probably look the same.

Did some research and I think it's narrowed down to two that meet the requirements:
1) TCL SF540K - I have a 20% code for Very and so could get it for £160.
  • pros - cheaper price, Fire OS
  • cons - chunky design not ideal for wall mounting
2) Hisense 40A4KTUK - available from Richer Sounds with 6yr warranty for £199.
  • pros - warranty
  • cons - VIDAA OS (not heard great things about this?)

I was tempted to look at the Hisense 40A5KQTUK (£219.99 via Costco with 5yr warranty) but not sure if I was just suckered in by the QLED marketing of it, assumed at 40" and viewing distance then it would make little difference.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the above options or any I may have missed that meet my requirements. One thing I havent really delved into and compared is the sound performance of them. All seem to have 2 x 8W audio so assume this is going to be much of a muchness.

Thanks

In terms of picture quality there's really nothing special about any small TV anymore. They are all going to be bottom range models and will be fine for bedroom use providing you don't intend to watch HDR material.
HDR material can be an issue to avoid using built in apps. See: All about HDR (High Dynamic Range)

On top of this, you're not going to find any info about smaller TVs since they are not reviewed, it's safe to say that sound quality on both is going to be poor though, as is the case with all TVs without dedicated soundbars.

In terms of picture quality there's really nothing special about any small TV anymore. They are all going to be bottom range models and will be fine for bedroom use providing you don't intend to watch HDR material.
HDR material can be an issue to avoid using built in apps. See: All about HDR (High Dynamic Range)

On top of this, you're not going to find any info about smaller TVs since they are not reviewed, it's safe to say that sound quality on both is going to be poor though, as is the case with all TVs without dedicated soundbars.
We have a mid-range 43" LG TV in the bedroom. While the sound could be better, the one thing it seems to do well is with vocals. I don't have any trouble hearing what's being said.

The lack of (and also conflicting) info on the smaller TVs is a real pain!

The lack of (and also conflicting) info on the smaller TVs is a real pain!
What you can do with an Apple TV is turn off HDR and you'll get 4K/SDR which should be OK on whatever TV you do get if it's not OLED.

If you can fit a 42" TV, you can get a 42" LG C3 which will go well with your Apple TV box with HDR.

What you can do with an Apple TV is turn off HDR and you'll get 4K/SDR which should be OK on whatever TV you do get if it's not OLED.

If you can fit a 42" TV, you can get a 42" LG C3 which will go well with your Apple TV box with HDR.

I dont actually have an Apple TV box, just need the app for it.

40" is very much the maximum unfortunately, but also with a budget of £200 OLED is well out of scope (again unfortunately).

I dont actually have an Apple TV box, just need the app for it.

40" is very much the maximum unfortunately, but also with a budget of £200 OLED is well out of scope (again unfortunately).
The one thing I do like about the bedroom TV is the OS is good. It runs some version of WebOS.

One other thing to check out is the sound. I know the sound on the bedroom TV is not great, but the sound of voices is actually pretty good. One thing to do is ask to be able to run BBC iPlayer and play Planet Earth III. That way you'll be able to test how well the vocal sounds on the TV as Attenborough's voice can be on the soft side with the sounds and music also going on.

We bought this one for our daughter for Xmas. A good all round TV with good picture and it’s fine for HDR, despite what others might say, It also has good sound and a decent EPG.

The latest video from AVForums

What makes a 10/10 4K Blu-ray disc?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom