BD50 Error Message L FVU

ToraScotia

Standard Member
Reaction score
My BD50 has developed a fault and displays the flashing message 'L FVU', when switched on.

I can get no response from the machine, even the tray won't open.

Can anyone help?

Sounds like a known fault www.avforums.com/forums/blu-ray-players/806236-bd50-display-flashing-l-fvu-after-mod-install.html

Known experience, not a fix sadly. Also, read the comment at the end of this page

Have you tried turning off at the mains then pressing the standby/on button (and keeping it pressed for 30 secs) and then turn on the machine. This can sometimes reset hardware. If not Google how you do it with the Panasonic.

I wonder if FVU stands for File Viewer Utility?

If you are still stuck try emailing Panasonic UK. They used to be great with replies but not IME lately but they may still be able to help.

If the machine is still under warranty return it.

You've probably incorrectly wired or shorted the mod board. The machine is now looking for firmware. You'll need to download and burn the BD50 firmware to disc and stick it in the machine.

Machine in standby, press D on the remote followed by remaster and then switch on. Firmware upgrade should start after that.

Otherwise take the machine back to whoever modded it for sorting out.

Thanks for your help.

I carried out the instructions as suggested, but when I pressed the on switch I got 'Hello' followed by the flashing L FVU.

The mod has been uninstalled and all points are free from solder.

I have a BD50 firmware disc but as I previously mentioned the disc tray will not open.

Hard Reset the machine whilst in standby.

Hold the Forward, Open and Stop buttons on the main unit for 5 seconds until 'Hello' is displayed.

Let go of the buttons and the machine will switch off by itself.

Whilst in standby.

Hold the Forward and Pause button on the main unit for 5 seconds and the tray should open.

Have a BD50 firmware disc handy. Suggest you burn the disc using imgburn.

Load the firmware disc and close the tray.

If the disc upgrade does not start immediately then leave the disc in the machine and put the machine into standby. On the remote press D followed by 'Remaster' and then switch the machine on and the update should start.

If all of the above does not work you need to take the machine to a service engineer.

Last edited:
Did this get resolved ?

Thanks Ekko Star for your interest and help with my BD50 problem, unfortunately nothing I tried worked.

I contacted Panasonic and after several days I received a reply from them, which said "submit the product to your local Panasonic authorised service agent for inspection."

I contacted the service agent and was told that there would be a £43 handling fee and further charges if a repair was involved. As they also had a queue system, it could take a week or so before anyone got round to looking at the BD50.

I decided that under the circumstances, I should just cut my losses and buy a new machine.

I bought a BD80, (multi-region for standard discs only) for £174.

The BD50, which I purchased about 18 months ago from the same firm, cost me £370 (with a price match discount).

This model is now currently available with them at £149.95.

The BD80 is excellent value at the moment :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Are VIDEO GAMES too EXPENSIVE?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom