AC Infinity Coolers - Anyone tried adding foam strips to the bottom?

pedwar

Established Member
Reaction score
Just wondering, has anyone here ever played with adding foam sealant strips to the bottom of their AC Infinity cooler to create a better seal against the AVR? I got the idea from another forum/member and was wondering if it would reduce fan noise coming out of the unit slightly to help keep the noise floor down in very quiet scenes.

I've tested it briefly on just the front/side areas (left the rear on the test and mine is a rear exhaust unit) but am undecided on the results without being able to see the internal AVR temp.

Results
While leaving the 'Smart' setting to 32c on my setup the 'probe' temp on the cooler sits at 33c and the fan speed runs constantly at 2.

Without the foam strip the cooler 'probe' sits at about 29-30c so the smart fan speed floats between speed 1 and 2........

Why am I undecided?
Why am I undecided as you would think 'Oh no.. the better seal is trapping heat in the AVR and causing the temp to be slightly higher and the fan to run more' BUT... I'm actually wondering if what it's doing is picking up the heat of what's in the AVR better as its' sucking out the warm air more and not picking up the cooler air from the 6mm gap that normally sits all around the cooler & AVR.

To the touch the front and side casings on the AVR are cooler with the rubber seal on there.

I've removed the strips for now to put it back to standard, but I might try and get an IR temp gun on there at some point as the father in law has one (although again that's just casing temp not internals).

What are others thoughts?

(My AVR is a Denon so I know they run warm, and in an ideal world I know it shouldn't need extra cooling but it does get a little warm in the corner of the room sometimes so the AC Infinity takes the edge off. I don't run it on crazy speeds as 32c seems to be the sweet spot for it to float around it's 'smart' mode on the low fan speeds (I measured v.high 40s on top before getting a cooler and some external amplification and I'm sure it has no doubt been a little hotter with spirited listening sessions in the past). and yes there is a decent amount of air space around the unit. :) )

I noticed that too, creating a seal around the two means it'll draw air through the AVR, rather than between the two. Guess best method would be insert a temperature probe at various places inside the AVR (careful not to damage anything) and see what you get.

I noticed that too, creating a seal around the two means it'll draw air through the AVR, rather than between the two. Guess best method would be insert a temperature probe at various places inside the AVR (careful not to damage anything) and see what you get.
I’m glad it’s not just me that found it did that 😀

i did think about a probe, but like you say I’d be worried about damaging any internal components.

I wonder if there’s any AVRs out there that have a diag mode to show the internal temp 🤔

out of interest, what setting do you run your cooler on?

I’m glad it’s not just me that found it did that 😀

i did think about a probe, but like you say I’d be worried about damaging any internal components.

I wonder if there’s any AVRs out there that have a diag mode to show the internal temp 🤔

out of interest, what setting do you run your cooler on?

I don't have one, don't need one, but looked into them and thought a skirt would be an improvement (coming from PC cooling)

I don't have one, don't need one, but looked into them and thought a skirt would be an improvement (coming from PC cooling)
Funnily enough I did similar mods PC cooling in years gone by. That’s why the results surprised me a little but putting thought into it it made sense.

Hi what size strip and make are you guys talking about?

Hi what size strip and make are you guys talking about?

Sealing the whole unit around the AVR. Quick method would be using masking tape, do some temp testing and can easily remove it.

That way it the AVR should act as a duct, rather than some air being sucked into the sides, front and rear.

Attachments

• 61-Ap6CEUCL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    61-Ap6CEUCL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 53
Sealing the whole unit around the AVR. Quick method would be using masking tape, do some temp testing and can easily remove it.

That way it the AVR should act as a duct, rather than some air being sucked into the sides, front and rear.
That makes sense will try that first thanks.

Exactly what rccarguy3 says.

This is what I did (this isn't my photo I found it on Google but it's basically what I did (without the strip at the rear on mine).

Like I say, removed for now. There's also that worry as well that if you don't keep your eye on things if you seal it and if there was ever a failure for the cooler to kick in then the AVR genuinely doesn't have any gaps for the heat to escape.

1693304158197.png

Exactly what rccarguy3 says.

This is what I did (this isn't my photo I found it on Google but it's basically what I did (without the strip at the rear on mine).

Like I say, removed for now. There's also that worry as well that if you don't keep your eye on things if you seal it and if there was ever a failure for the cooler to kick in then the AVR genuinely doesn't have any gaps for the heat to escape.

View attachment 1916790

Doesn't it have audible alarm?

Doesn't it have audible alarm?
It does, but I mean a complete failure. Like if someone unplugged it or something dumb :) and a lot of people (including me) have the screen blank for movie watching.

Although I'm pretty OCD so I'd notice mine not being on anyway.

Just wondering, has anyone here ever played with adding foam sealant strips to the bottom of their AC Infinity cooler to create a better seal against the AVR? I got the idea from another forum/member and was wondering if it would reduce fan noise coming out of the unit slightly to help keep the noise floor down in very quiet scenes.

I've tested it briefly on just the front/side areas (left the rear on the test and mine is a rear exhaust unit) but am undecided on the results without being able to see the internal AVR temp.

Results
While leaving the 'Smart' setting to 32c on my setup the 'probe' temp on the cooler sits at 33c and the fan speed runs constantly at 2.

Without the foam strip the cooler 'probe' sits at about 29-30c so the smart fan speed floats between speed 1 and 2........

Why am I undecided?
Why am I undecided as you would think 'Oh no.. the better seal is trapping heat in the AVR and causing the temp to be slightly higher and the fan to run more' BUT... I'm actually wondering if what it's doing is picking up the heat of what's in the AVR better as its' sucking out the warm air more and not picking up the cooler air from the 6mm gap that normally sits all around the cooler & AVR.

To the touch the front and side casings on the AVR are cooler with the rubber seal on there.

I've removed the strips for now to put it back to standard, but I might try and get an IR temp gun on there at some point as the father in law has one (although again that's just casing temp not internals).

(My AVR is a Denon so I know they run warm, and in an ideal world I know it shouldn't need extra cooling but it does get a little warm in the corner of the room sometimes so the AC Infinity takes the edge off. I don't run it on crazy speeds as 32c seems to be the sweet spot for it to float around it's 'smart' mode on the low fan speeds (I measured v.high 40s on top before getting a cooler and some external amplification and I'm sure it has no doubt been a little hotter with spirited listening sessions in the past). and yes there is a decent amount of air space around the unit. :) )

Results

Why am I undecided?

Results

Why am I undecided?

Hi pedwar, thinking of buying one of these, can you tell me what extra charges you had.
Thanks & regards
Tom

Hi pedwar, thinking of buying one of these, can you tell me what extra charges you had.
Thanks & regards
Tom
Hi Tom,
No extra charges as I went via these guys - AC Infinity

Nice people to work with (I also signed up for their newsletter which gave me an extra discount).

They swap out the power supply for a proper UK/EU approved item and provide warranty on it.

Another idea is to have an s9 or t9 under the AVR as well as whatever is on top.
1. Both could be on a lower average speed.
2. If one fails (like you suggested) it is not as tragic.

Depends on how well the fans line up with the intakes on the bottom of your Denon.

Another idea is to have an s9 or t9 under the AVR as well as whatever is on top.
1. Both could be on a lower average speed.
2. If one fails (like you suggested) it is not as tragic.

Depends on how well the fans line up with the intakes on the bottom of your Denon.
That might be a bit overkill and expensive, what's the space you're storing it in?

I do like my T8 and it's pretty funky to have it come on automatically and ramp up when needed but I've got it tweaked now so it generally just comes on when needed and sits on the low fan speed and I don't worry about it. If I re-did things I'd possibly even consider a 120mm USB fan with speed switch and rubber mounts (from AC Infinity etc.) and put that on top. It's cheaper, quieter and if the unit fails it's not blocking the vents on-top of the AVR so much so heat can still escape.

When you're watching quieter scenes in movies (like 'A Quiet Place' etc.) where it's a) quiet and b) the AVR isn't putting out so much heat due to less amp demand you'll often hear the fan coming on and off slightly.. with a Vrrrr...vrrrr....vrrrr (it's not that bad but I sometimes notice it)
I think if there were 2 of them it would drive me mad :laugh:

Plus remember heat rises so the sensor inside a under 'under' an AVR may not pickup the heat from the AVR and probably wouldn't do anything.

Hi Tom,
No extra charges as I went via these guys - AC Infinity

Nice people to work with (I also signed up for their newsletter which gave me an extra discount).

They swap out the power supply for a proper UK/EU approved item and provide warranty on it.
Thanks very much pedwar, appreciate your help.

That might be a bit overkill and expensive, what's the space you're storing it in?
I couldn't fit two of them. Only 2cm clearance above my Aircom. But AVR has about 7cm each side.
I don't have any issue with the noise emissions though.

I do like my T8 and it's pretty funky to have it come on automatically and ramp up when needed but I've got it tweaked now so it generally just comes on when needed and sits on the low fan speed and I don't worry about it. If I re-did things I'd possibly even consider a 120mm USB fan with speed switch and rubber mounts (from AC Infinity etc.) and put that on top. It's cheaper, quieter and if the unit fails it's not blocking the vents on-top of the AVR so much so heat can still escape.

When you're watching quieter scenes in movies (like 'A Quiet Place' etc.) where it's a) quiet and b) the AVR isn't putting out so much heat due to less amp demand you'll often hear the fan coming on and off slightly.. with a Vrrrr...vrrrr....vrrrr (it's not that bad but I sometimes notice it)
I think if there were 2 of them it would drive me mad :laugh:

Plus remember heat rises so the sensor inside a under 'under' an AVR may not pickup the heat from the AVR and probably wouldn't do anything.

Yes the bottom one would just be constant on low not thermostatically triggered.

It was just an idea for you and others.

For mine, I've been thinking about removing the shelf above and having no Aircom; as my little OCD devil is not happy about what happens if the Aircom fails when I'm not in the room!

The latest video from AVForums

What makes a 10/10 4K Blu-ray disc?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom