Best Android TV Box?

Mattyk69

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hey gang,
I'm currently looking for an Android TV Box but these devices really aren't my specialty at all. I'm hoping you guys may have some input or suggestions on which one to go for.

I am looking for a device mainly to play HD content from the internet and output via my TV, other features that would be nice are:

• Ability to see other devices on the network and/or play media from them
  • Little to no lag when streaming HD content
  • Memory expansion, I have an unused micro SD which I would hope to put to use
  • Ability to download from the internet, from browsers/torrents/ftp etc
  • Good quality build/reliable
  • Best price/perfomance ratio
  • Ability to plug my external hard drive into the device to play media
I have been looking at the Droibox One and from what I have read it seems like the device for me, although the reviews are heavily mixed. I would just like some suggestions, feedback, or recommendations on the Droibox or any other device which has what I am looking for. Your input is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Note from admin: Because this topic has become so popular, we have created some resources to help you pick the best Android TV box for your particular needs:

Last edited by a moderator:
Best android box at the moment is the Amazon FireTV but it's not sold in EU and Amazon appear to be taking their sweet time before making it available.

Best XBMC android box is from all accounts the MiniX Neo X8, this has the latest Amlogic chip which XBMC natively supports so media playback is much more robust, it runs tablet android but with a home screen skin. It has all the ports you need and is reasonably priced.

However as it runs Android tablet and this is true for all Android boxes (bar the FireTV) these do not always get HD video stream from the apps for example Netflix, also the app controls can be fiddly because they are designed for touch, the FiireTV does not have either of these problems.

Google have their own long rumoured AndroidTV OS (same deal as FireTV) but it's taken forever to appear with delay after delay and really that OS is the one which would fix those last two issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Amazon FireTV is very limited, you can't put just any content on it.

I've been having a look around the internet and noticed Justop also offer a device called Droibox Ace for £5 more. But I am unable to see any difference between the two? Also I am still open to suggestion, the most I would be willing to pay for the box itself is £50.

The Neo X8 looks a very nice beastie.

I've been having a look around the internet and noticed Justop also offer a device called Droibox Ace for £5 more. But I am unable to see any difference between the two? Also I am still open to suggestion, the most I would be willing to pay for the box itself is £50.

The Droidbox Ace is based on older hardware and is not a good pick for use with XBMC.

If using an Android box and XBMC the best combo for video playback is something using an Amlogic chipset.

The Amlogic S802 is their brand new chip that addresses all the complaints about the prior 8726 series from years past, if your going to buy an Android XBMC box I'd buy an Amlogic S802 one and Mini Neo X8 is the stand-out model.

For £50 or under your going to get underpowered devices.

The Droidbox Ace is based on older hardware and is not a good pick for use with XBMC.

If using an Android box and XBMC the best combo for video playback is something using an Amlogic chipset.

The Amlogic S802 is their brand new chip that addresses all the complaints about the prior 8726 series from years past, if your going to buy an Android XBMC box I'd buy an Amlogic S802 one and Mini Neo X8 is the stand-out model.

For £50 or under your going to get underpowered devices.

You can pick up Amlogic S802 media players for just over £50 delivered from within the UK right now ...

You can pick up Amlogic S802 media players for just over £50 delivered from within the UK right now ...

Where did you find them at that price, dude? I've found a few on eBay at just under £60 delivered. Tempting...

Where did you find them at that price, dude? I've found a few on eBay at just under £60 delivered. Tempting...

eBay item number:

eBay item number:

both @£53.88 delivered within the UK, they can be rooted to have custom "finless" roms on them as far as I am aware ...

Just taken a punt on one of these. Looks like a good little bit of kit to tinker with :smashin:

A similar thing happened with the original Pivos Xios box...
Sumvision had a box with identical hardware but Pivos protected their firmware to prevent it from being used on clone boxes. Of course, the clone boxes don't support or fund XBMC in any way and I doubt modified XBMC source codes to better support the hardware are released as per the GPL.

Finally got my little box and is partially set up and running. I'm still faffing with XBMC at the moment, but it plays absolutely everything I've thrown at it so far :thumbsup:

Might look at flashing it to a better ROM, but need to do some reading first.

The only downside is the remote is absolutely awful - horrible to use. I'm using a wireless mouse at the moment until I can get a decent bluetooth keyboard remote.

So far so good. Any questions just fire away :hiya:

Finally got my little box and is partially set up and running. I'm still faffing with XBMC at the moment, but it plays absolutely everything I've thrown at it so far :thumbsup:

The only downside is the remote is absolutely awful - horrible to use. I'm using a wireless mouse at the moment until I can get a decent bluetooth keyboard remote.

Which box did you buy and where did you buy it from. whats it like on xbmc and wifi?

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
It's this one - Quad Core Android 4.4 Smart TV BOX XBMC Amlogic S802 2GHz 4K WIFI 8GB 2G/8G OO | eBay so basically just a random branded one.

Works great with XBMC and Wifi worked perfectly too, although I've got it wired now instead as I had a spare cable knocking about
Yes that's the one I was looking at, Can you please test your wireless signal for me, and say how far you are from the router. So are happy with your box, does it tick all the right boxes for you.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Yes that's the one I was looking at, Can you please test your wireless signal for me, and say how far you are from the router. So are happy with your box, does it tick all the right boxes for you.

Well when I was running it briefly on the wireless, it showed full strength and that was about 12' away from my router.

Ticks all my boxes for sure. I really only wanted a dedicated machine I could run XBMC on so I could watch all my videos from my NAS drive. Does everything I want it to :smashin:

One mans wifi may not be the same as anothers with the same equipment, too many things to contend with.

Well when I was running it briefly on the wireless, it showed full strength and that was about 12' away from my router.

Ticks all my boxes for sure. I really only wanted a dedicated machine I could run XBMC on so I could watch all my videos from my NAS drive. Does everything I want it to :smashin:
great thanks. But whats it like streaming from xbmc and navi over the net?

great thanks. But whats it like streaming from xbmc and navi over the net?

Absolutely fine, no problems at all. Obviously a lot will depend on your connection, but on my 75mb BT fibre it was as quick as it should be. Everything loads as quickly as it does on other devices

Absolutely fine, no problems at all. Obviously a lot will depend on your connection, but on my 75mb BT fibre it was as quick as it should be. Everything loads as quickly as it does on other devices
great. I have 40mb but only get between 15-22mb wireless.

Should be plenty for the average online streaming service :thumbsup:
I've a Rikomagic mini PC mk802 III3s and the wireless signal is rubbish. That's why I am looking for something better.

Any AV sync issues? also have you tried those full blu ray ISOs? and 4K?

The latest video from AVForums

Are VIDEO GAMES too EXPENSIVE?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom