Having returned one projector for lack of panel uniformity to have it replaced with one which is marginally better, I think it's best just to provide a list of things to look for when considering this projector, which may or may not be significant or deal breakers to you:
(1) Display a black and white image (e.g. by turning down the colour to 0). View some footage for a few minutes. Is it a black and white picture, or are areas of the screen tinted yellow/green or magenta? Repeat the exercise for grey scales. Now watch some normal video - are there noticeable colour shifts across area which should be uniform or desaturated in tone e.g skies and clouds? Do skin tones change when someone moves across the screen?
(2) Looking at areas of gently changing contrast - again cloudy backgrounds an example, or a plain wall - are magenta contours (yellow and blue less obvious) or areas of magenta dithering visible? This is know as 'disclination'. It's present in all images, but is often not significant from normal viewing distances.
(3) Inability to pixel map cleanly 1:1 line and chessboard patterns. (Although in practice, any image with normal structure as opposed to a repetitive pattern seems to be nicely rendered).
(4) Large areas of green tingeing. Usually rectified with a service menu adjustment that can be carried out by the dealer.
(5) The dynamic contrast control is in effect the laser shutting down for black level frames only. There is no modulation at any other time. In use, you're seeing just the native contrast level of the SXRD panel.
(6) Quality of optics. The replacement projector had significantly better optics than the original. Focus much more crisply defined without fringes. Something to check as there seems to be variation.
Sony VPL-VW760ES User Review
Caveats and updates (07/08/18)Review of Sony VPL-VW760ES Projector by Barcoing Mad, May 2, 2018.This item was purchased. The reviewer still owns this product.
Contrast/Dynamic Range/Black levels8
2D Picture Quality8
3D Picture Quality1
Picture Quality Out-of-the-Box6
Picture Quality Calibrated8
Ease Of Use9
Value For Money6