ZyXEL Homeplug ADSL Router (Prestige 66HWP)

hutters

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience of this combined adsl modem/router/homeplug device? (ZyXEL Prestige 660HWP 54Mbps ADSL2+ Multimedia Router with Intergrated 200Mbps Homeplug)

I'd like to know if it will work with my existing Devolo dLAN 200 AV units. I've searched and asked suppliers the question, but can't seem to get an answer.

Reason for not just buying another Devolo is that the room our ADSL gateway is in (connected to the BT master socket) is having a change of use from a study to a play/toy room for the kids and i'd like to have just one box in there sat high on a shelf away from inquisitive little fingers :)

Cheers.

Sorry to jump in mate but, what what are the Develoe's like?

14mbs (homeplug 1.0) and 85mbs (homeplug 1.0 plus) are compatible with each other but not compatible with 200mbs (homeplugAV). Netgear 200mbs units are not compatible with other 200mbs units as its not the homeplug standard (they couldnt wait for the standard to be published so did thier own thing). As long as the devices stick to the homplugAV standard then they should be compaitble

There is a way to get homeplug 1.0 and homeplug HD to connect but you have to do it via a router and have at least 2 units of each standard. You plug one of each of the unit types into the router and the router bridges the two networks together. I had some 14mbs IP security cameras and my security linux server was on my 200mbs network (as its my NAS too) and this is the only way they would see each other.

14mbs (homeplug 1.0) and 85mbs (homeplug 1.0 plus) are compatible with each other but not compatible with 200mbs (homeplugAV). Netgear 200mbs units are not compatible with other 200mbs units as its not the homeplug standard (they couldnt wait for the standard to be published so did thier own thing). As long as the devices stick to the homplugAV standard then they should be compaitble

There is a way to get homeplug 1.0 and homeplug HD to connect but you have to do it via a router and have at least 2 units of each standard. You plug one of each of the unit types into the router and the router bridges the two networks together. I had some 14mbs IP security cameras and my security linux server was on my 200mbs network (as its my NAS too) and this is the only way they would see each other.

Thanks for your reply. Devolo have finally come back to me and said that if it is Homeplug AV compliant (which the specs say it is) then it should work.

Guess I will just have to buy it and try it.

HomePlug 1 (14Mbps) and HomePlug Turbo (85Mbps) do work with each other as the Turbo standard is an enhancement to the original and backward compatible. HomePlug AV is based on different technology and although will coexist with HomePlug 1 will not take to each other but you can have HomePlug 1 and AV on the same network. They basically operate as two different networks. If you have a HomePlug 1 and AV device both going into a switch they will pass traffic between the two ok.

Most manufacturers are using Intellon chipset for AV products apart from the already mentioned Netgear product that went for DS2 chipset. DS2 will only work with DS2. I think also BT went with DS2 for its digital TV offering (in its wisdom!). From what I see quite a lot of people get rid of these on ebay and then replace with Intellon AV products as they work with all other AV HomePlug certified products. Interestingly DS2 kills the HomePlug AV network so they can not coexist together.

I've used eConnect HomePlug AV with Devolo, Zyxel and others and they all work well together. It's worth checking the AV firmware the units use. V2 firmware offers better speed and QoS enhancements. Just a note that eConnect also offers '14 day no questions returns' so some reassurance (http://www.econnecthomeplug.co.uk).

Hope this helps.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom