Zyxel 325, BT Homehub 2.....Should I get Gigabit switch ?

skronk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just ordered the Zyxel. Already have the hub.

Is a gigabit switch something I should get..."as a matter of course ?" Or is it a waste of money with my Homehub 2. Sorry for the ignorance !!

Will run Skybox, Vu Duo, Panasonic Blu Ray, Yamaha 671 amp

Any help appreciated.

As your NSA-325 has a Gigabit ethernet port you'll get better performance from it if you use it with a Gigabit switch (BT Homehub 2.0 only has "Fast" Ethernet - 100Mbit/s). Depending upon the number of wired devices you have an 8 port Gigabit switch would probably be best.

Normal setup would be to connect all wired devices into the Gigabit switch, and then wire that to the Homehub.

As your NSA-325 has a Gigabit ethernet port you'll get better performance from it if you use it with a Gigabit switch (BT Homehub 2.0 only has "Fast" Ethernet - 100Mbit/s). Depending upon the number of wired devices you have an 8 port Gigabit switch would probably be best.

Normal setup would be to connect all wired devices into the Gigabit switch, and then wire that to the Homehub.
Thanks for reply.

Complete noob here with NAS and networking. Should I think next of replacing Hhub2. My main concern is transferring MP3s / CD's from sticks to NAS at this time but would like to learn more.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
... Should I think next of replacing Hhub2. My main concern is transferring MP3s / CD's from sticks to NAS at this time but would like to learn more.

There shouldn't be any need to replace the HH2 unless you're having specific problems with it - ADSL broadband speeds are well below the 100MBit/s capacity of it's fast Ethernet ports.

Assuming you want to transfer from USB sticks to the NSA-325, you can do this by plugging them into the NAS and using the Web interface on the NAS to copy their content.

There shouldn't be any need to replace the HH2 unless you're having specific problems with it - ADSL broadband speeds are well below the 100MBit/s capacity of it's fast Ethernet ports.

Assuming you want to transfer from USB sticks to the NSA-325, you can do this by plugging them into the NAS and using the Web interface on the NAS to copy their content.

I have no problems with hub.
Will use method you suggest to copy music.

NAS should be with me Tue/Wed next week.

Thanks again !

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom