1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ZX Spectrum

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by OGIII, Feb 5, 2003.

1. OGIII

OGIII

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I keep thinking about my old Spectrum. I've just had a look on ebay and there appear to be a few of the 48k ones around, boxed for around twenty quid. I might be tempted just to have a little dabble and then put it away for the next time those fond memories return.

I can't remember what happened to mine but I wish I could find it and the old games. It was the original 1982 16k model that I upgraded to 48k. I blew my first 16k by trying to connect a torch light bulb to the exposed parts of the circuit board at the back, the idea was to get it to light up using PEEKS and POKES and god knows what else, needless to say it didn't last long but I'm pretty sure they fixed it under warranty.

Sadly (I mean I'm sad and not that I'm disapointed) I miss the hours of playing NightFlite (looking at a black screen with the odd white dot) and the 'cutting edge' Hunchback, not forgetting those "Bulbous eyes looking down" on me in The Hobbit adventure game. I wrote a couple of 'games' for it as a kid and would love to see just how s*** they are now.

If there are any other sad f*****s like me around, here's an interesting site

The official world archive for the Sinclair ZX Spectrum

2. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahh, the wistful delights of Horace Goes Skiing, Trans-am, Manic Miner.........

3. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,826
    Now that you are older and wiser... Do you now agree that the Commodore 64 was always miles better?

(Heatproof underpants on :p )

4. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes the C64 was a little better than the ZX81 :devil:

5. OGIII

OGIII

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a feeling that the C64 came out at the end of '82 and cost a fair bit more than the Spectrum so we'd have to compare it with the Vic 20:boring:

Anyway, why would you have wanted a C64 with a proper keyboard when you could have had squishy keys that could get stuck:D

6. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I did this a while back with an Atari 800. Lets just say time hadn't been good to the games.

7. SteveG

SteveG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    The speccy is certainly a classic, but I'm torn between that and the C64. It's tempting to get a cheap one on eBay but I agree that time doesn't do the old computer any favours. I dug out my old Colecovision last year and was amazed at how rubbish it was!

My fond memories:

Vic-20 - Some great games including the Scott Adams adventures (on cartridge!) If you were rich you could even upgrade the memory to 32k. Spent hours keying in those Home Computer Weekly games only to find there was a typo and it wouldn't run! Trader was my first 'proper' game on tape.

ZX Spectrum - Never really went for those rubber keys, so I opted for the 'posh' Spectrum +. Great computer as long as you didn't turn it upside down. Loved those Ultimate games.

Commodore 64 - P!$$ed me off at the time as it kinda put my Vic-20 to shame. Eventually had to get one though as the likes of Beachhead, Spy Hunter, Raid Over Moscow, Monty Mole and most of the other US Gold games won me over. Still in my loft somewhere..

Amstrad 464 - Umm, well it had a tape drive and I bough a floppy drive attachment, but all the games seemed consistently unplayable. Soon sold it for an Atari ST.

Atari 1024ST - Loved Goldrunner but only really liked a handful of games. Yes the Amiga looked better but it was totally unplayable as you had to put a floppy disk in every 10 minutes to load the next level. Had a massive 20mb hard disk unit with an unbelievably loud fan and a Quattro Pro 2400/2400 modem that apparantly cost £700 but the bloke down the pub let me have it for £50. Eventually sold the lot and went back to the C64.

SteveG

8. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Don't buy one, just download the emulator from the site you mention, it's fantastic. I've just played Everyones a Wally.

Ahhh memories. Now if I could only find a working download of Gunfright.

9. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
  10. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  11. pothecaryr

pothecaryr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Take my advice..
    Your best off leaving the old kit there mate !

I am the proud owner of...
    A complete 48k Spectrum bundle (with I/F 1&2 and Microdrives)
    A Complete Commodore64 setup
    A Complete Commodore Vic-20 setup
    Dragon 32 setup
    Sinclair QL setup inc. RGB Cub-monitor
    and finally 2 Atari 2600 6-switch woodies.

All of this is now sitting in my attic gathering dust.
    I switched on the Atari and played Combat for 15minutes once, brought back great memories but only for the first few seconds.

We look back at things fondly, it's best to just look back and keep your wallet hidden.

Anybody know of a Windows Vectrex emulator ????
    Cheers

12. SteveG

SteveG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
  13. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Might as well add this here.

Have any of you run one of the old consoles/PC's on a projector?

I thought it would be pretty cool to play Chuckie Egg on a 7ft screen. Just gotta get an old BBC Micro off me mate first.

14. tommymuldy

tommymuldy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I wouldn't spend the money on it.

I bought an old NES system with that rubbish light gun it had and a couple of games.

It was cr*p. I should have bought a pack of fags instead.

15. Nick Odgers

Nick Odgers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I have fond memories of the old Spectrum as well, some of the adventure games were great, Hampstead and Urban Upstart for example. I bought on e-bay a cd with over 5000 speccy games on it for the P C , they work o k but I cannot suss out how to save games; has anyone else managed to do it?

16. gamestage

gamestage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    [Mod Comment] Gamestage i've deleted this post as you already have a thread open on this topic, no need to post it more than once.

Thank you
    Jason

17. tspencerj

tspencerj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    much better to download a zx spectrum emulatore for yr pc, it's wicked

18. Stealth Rodeo

Stealth Rodeo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    If you don't want to download an emulator, you can always play the games online at this very good site:

http://zxspectrum.cjb.net/

19. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,850
    Indeed fond memories but to be honest the likes of the speccy and C64 are best left wrapped up in the wonderfull world of nostalgia!

The likes of the Amiga, Megadrive, SNES, Saturn, PCEngine, Neo Geo & PS1 are all still worth playing though - some great games on those systems!

20. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +535
    I still have my Specturm +2 in the loft. Was the one with the tape deck added on and a 128k or memory. I remember all the summer holidays where i would wait for 10 minutes for a game to load and then for it to crash on me so i would have to restart it again.

Match of the day and Gryzor where some of my favs. I also enjoyed playing Outrun and Afterburner too.

I have a vectrex under my desk here at work, we sometimes set it up and give Berzerk and clean sweep a go.

The machine i regret selling was my Amiga 500 i had some top games on there and wish i had never sold it.

Always worth taking a trip down memory lane but like most have said sometimes its best to keep the memorys of it being a sh*t hot game or console instead of playing it today and being disapointed.

I will get another Amiga at some point, i miss rainbow islands and the newzeland story!!

Dal

21. markymark34

markymark34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +327
    There should be a health warning against this thread i wasted 3 1/2 hours playing old spectrum games!

Daley Thompsons Decathlon - pure genious!!!!
    :thumbsup:

mark

22. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +535
    Playing those games u used to need a joystick everyweek.

Bring on the Cheetah 128+ joystick that was the daddy!

Dal

23. gamestage

gamestage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello you guys!!

I am also very glad to have had a ZX SPectrum back in the 80s!
    And, I still love it. That is why I have done a 100% zx spectrum dedicated site at the following web address: www.gamestage.net

If you care to see it, I'll be glad and thankful!
    See ya!

24. richward

richward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i had a speccy 48k for a couple of years that i bought off a mate when they were already starting to get quite outdated. had some fun with it at the time, but i really can't remember the names of many of the games all these years later. i remember there was a "Trapdoor" game. anyone remember that, and the excellent animation series that inspired it? anyway, the machine died eventually, and my brother and i bought a C64 which was vastly superior, before moving on to the Amiga.
    on the subject of returning to old machines, i got a megadrive from ebay (i'd never had one before) and am enjoying it immensely...

25. LJBS

LJBS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I had a speccy 48k and a C64 and an Amstrad CPC6128 (dual sided disk drive in that baby) and I have to say that the games that I remember most fondly were for the Speccy. Although the C64 and Amstrad were superior they just didn't have the same quality games - Atic Attack, Chaos, Centipede. Fantastic!

I was so innocent back then!

26. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,850
    Although not as technically good in many ways the Speccy was the best of the 3 main 8 bit computers (C64, Amstrad & Speccy) IMO. C64 games tended to look horrible & blocky and whilst Speccy games were generally monochrome (Due to the famous colour clash problem where a charachter block could only show 1 colour) they were sharper & more detailed. The Amstrad graphics were more vibrant than the C64's, still blocky but more detailed than the C64. The C64's best feature was it's superb sound chip and the speccy and Amstrad suffered in this department. The 128k speccy's like the +2 & +3 had much better sound chips though.

As mentioned abouve though it was the games themselves that made the Speccy the machine to own. Games like Target Renegade were superb on the Speccy but poor on the C64. Games like Atic Atak, Knight Lore, Alien8, Carrier Command, Jetpac, Cyclone, Tornado Low Level, Cybernoid, Rex, R-Type, Vulcan, Arnhem, Desert Rats, Laser Squad, Turbo Esprit, Mercenery, Driller, Gunship, Starglider and many others all bring back loads of fond memories of the Speccy! :thumbsup:

That said the C64 had some great games like the Spy Vs Spy series and the Beach Head games.

As so often happens the best of the 8 Bits computers (technically) was probably the Atari 800XL but this failed to take on like the 3 main ones. The first computer I had (back in 1982) was the Dragon 32 and this was actually a great machine with pretty decent graphics, reasonable sound, a great keyboard, loads of peripheral ports (where as the Speccy neaded an interface to attach virtually everything!) and a load of great games.

27. Obuggrit

Obuggrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a Spectrum Zx80 and 81, I think, I can't remember really, one had touch sensitive keys (apparently) and the other had rubber keys. I remember loving Horace Goes Skiiing and some Breakout clone on the rubber keyed one.

28. WildeKarde

WildeKarde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +895
    Brings back a lot of memories of my old speccy.

Started at 48k with rubber keyboard then bought the + pack to transfer it to a new case. Then had a +2 (horrible tape deck on it).

All the old classics especially playing enigma force and lords of midnight (64,000 screens anyone) - still look back fondly on them. Going bck the gameplay is still there but visually and audio wise they are very poor from nowadays (too used to my high resolutions)

29. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    I loved the game Elite. Loved the dogfighting and trading aspect of it. I can't remember the last time I played it though on spectrum. I've got a BBC Master Turbo somewhere and I recall playing Tube Elite on it a couple of years ago for about a week on and off. However the most played version was the speccy of course but that was many years ago but I must have played it on and off for many months. Also played the Archimedes version a fair bit. I wish some of these cheap arm based dvd players would come with a built in archimedes emulator and games.

30. themoid

themoid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    nah, the only joystick for Daley Thomsons Decathlon was the indestructible Kempston Pro - one of these babies never broke, while my mates went through Quickshots like no-ones business :laugh: