• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Zuma - Son of Sun & Sharp Shooter achievements, anyone got 'em?

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Hi all,

As we now have a dedicated Acrade sub forum, I thought it'd be a good place to ask this question.

Now I've been trying for weeks to get these two bloody achievements on Zuma, don't ask me why, but you know how it is when you set yourself a mission & get determined.

Anyway, has anyone actually managed to get either of these achievements here, seems impossible to me.

The Sharp Shooter puzzles me, I can empty the screen in a few seconds if I'm lucky, but I then have to wait a few seconds for the next balls to roll onto screen, so how the hell can you clear a screen in under 5 seconds:confused:

Son of Sun, dammit, this is the worst, both me & mf GF have put hour after hour in trying to complete this bugger. We have just about all the levels unlocked to Sun Son level, but how the hell many stages are there for Sun Son, I did reach Sun Son 8 once but never been able to get there since.

Just wondered if these achievements are actually reachable or should we just admit defeat & give up?

Cheers,

Lee.
 

rio1981

Well-known Member
Tetlee said:
Son of Sun, dammit, this is the worst, both me & mf GF have put hour after hour in trying to complete this bugger. We have just about all the levels unlocked to Sun Son level, but how the hell many stages are there for Sun Son, I did reach Sun Son 8 once but never been able to get there since.

Cheers,

Lee.

I'm the same with this one, I thought it'd go to 8 or 9 and finish... but I got to 12 or 13 (I think) once and STILL it wouldn't finish.

The 5-second one is one of the most difficult to get, you need to be very quick (obviously) and lucky with the balls that come out first, you need to get "Zuma" and then clear everything in 5 seconds... I've never got close.
 

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
rio1981 said:
I'm the same with this one, I thought it'd go to 8 or 9 and finish... but I got to 12 or 13 (I think) once and STILL it wouldn't finish.

WHAT, Sun Son 13 & still not complete! Those balls mut've been rolling at the speed of light. Ok, that's decided that ones way out of reach for us then:rolleyes:

The 5-second one is one of the most difficult to get, you need to be very quick (obviously) and lucky with the balls that come out first, you need to get "Zuma" and then clear everything in 5 seconds... I've never got close.

Yeah, I guessed maybe it would be as much down to chaining luck than anything as lets face it, in under 5 seconds you'd barely have chance to even aim. My best time in Gauntlet is 13 seconds, not even close!

We've gone as far as we can on the Adventure mode, level 9, gets mega tough after that.

Thanks for the reply, think we've now decided to accept defeat on those achievements, damn Zuma is harsh, doesn't give much away does it:laugh:
 

rio1981

Well-known Member
Tetlee said:
We've gone as far as we can on the Adventure mode, level 9, gets mega tough after that.

Thanks for the reply, think we've now decided to accept defeat on those achievements, damn Zuma is harsh, doesn't give much away does it:laugh:

:D No worries mate, I think it's the most frustrating game I currently have! I've put a lot of hours into Level 9 on Adventure mode (believe it or not I even tried it before getting ready for work this morning!) and once again I clear everything without losing a life up until 9-6 - then it starts going right downhill... I just want to get past level 9-7, then I can leave the game alone!!

The Son of Sun thing was stupidly quick, and every time it levelled up I was like "another one?! You :censored: !!

I need more Arcade games, they're such a good laugh and generally-speaking they're popular with my other half too (and to think she never wanted me to get a 360... tsk!)
 

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
rio1981 said:
:D No worries mate, I think it's the most frustrating game I currently have! I've put a lot of hours into Level 9 on Adventure mode (believe it or not I even tried it before getting ready for work this morning!) and once again I clear everything without losing a life up until 9-6 - then it starts going right downhill... I just want to get past level 9-7, then I can leave the game alone!!

It sure is tough, took me long enough to get past level 8. I think you end up needing as much luck as skill, I mean if it doesn't offer you any 8-ball or rollback-balls, you've got no chance.

The Son of Sun thing was stupidly quick, and every time it levelled up I was like "another one?! You :censored: !!

Yep, I know that feeling well, and the best I reached was Sun Son 8, don't even want to think how much faster it gets. I keep wondering if one of the levels is better for that achievement than the others, keep trying different ones just incase. I have a feeling the best chance would be one of the double line levels, at least then the exploding balls take a much better effect by getting rid of loads more balls.

I need more Arcade games, they're such a good laugh and generally-speaking they're popular with my other half too (and to think she never wanted me to get a 360... tsk!)

One of the true beauties of Live Arcade that, especially Zuma, it's the first ever game that I can I say to my GF "fancy some Zuma"..."go on then", haha, novelty never wears off the fact she actually likes the idea of the console going on:D
 

rio1981

Well-known Member
I've only tried the Gauntlet mode on the first and very simple level - I've tried to do other ones but never get anywhere near as far.

What I wouldn't mind is just knowing how far away I am, how many levels are there on Gauntlet Mode to get the achievement? This has become more about principles than about mere points!

The problem with the Gauntlet mode for me is that you get on a roll and can clear some of the levels quickly, but being on a roll only lasts for a short amount of time... you start struggling when you get to level 10 and that's it, game over!

Glutton for punishment though really :D
 

spidermanalf

Active Member
YAY people in the same boat as me! Love Zuma, but stuck on level nine on arcade and cannot son of sun on Gauntlet, but play it all the time anyway. All together now -- ZUUUUMA
 

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
spidermanalf said:
All together now -- ZUUUUMA

:rotfl: Classic, can imagine chanting that getting home after a pub session with the mates.

Either that or "Nicka Chappa Zuuma";)

BTW, something funny I noticed the other night, when you die on Gauntlet mode, it appears to say "Bye Bye Becky", haha, creeped my girlfriend right out the other night when I said about it, that's her name:eek:

What I wouldn't mind is just knowing how far away I am, how many levels are there on Gauntlet Mode to get the achievement? This has become more about principles than about mere points!

Exactly! I would really like to know how many stages there are in Gauntlet SS aswell. I'm amazed how the hell you got to SS13, I bow to thee!

I've checked the people with the highest Zuma scores on my friends list, Fish Monkey seemed to have completed the Adventure Mode(amazing!). None of them had achieved either Son of Sun or Sharp Shooter, surely someone from here has done it.
 

Kazuya Mishima

Active Member
I have the Son of Sun achievement. It took me a while!

Tetlee said:
We have just about all the levels unlocked to Sun Son level, but how the hell many stages are there for Sun Son, I did reach Sun Son 8 once but never been able to get there since.
You have to achieve 'Sun Son' ranking in every level on Gauntlet mode, except Space. NOTE: you only have to break beyond Jaguar and into Sun Son level 1 for this to work - but for EVERY 'level' except Space.

Oh, and for the record my favourite is the double spiral one, I got to gauntlet level 17 on that....
When I played this on the PC I got to level 21.

But I see NO WAY to get the sharpshooter, 5 seconds?

And I can't seem to unlock the 24 hour achievement...any tips?

PS my gamertag is 'Kazuya 1'
 

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Kazuya Mishima said:
I have the Son of Sun achievement. It took me a while!


You have to achieve 'Sun Son' ranking in every level on Gauntlet mode, except Space. NOTE: you only have to break beyond Jaguar and into Sun Son level 1 for this to work - but for EVERY 'level' except Space.

Oh, and for the record my favourite is the double spiral one, I got to gauntlet level 17 on that....
When I played this on the PC I got to level 21.

But I see NO WAY to get the sharpshooter, 5 seconds?

And I can't seem to unlock the 24 hour achievement...any tips?

PS my gamertag is 'Kazuya 1'

Ahhh, glad you cleared that up for me, so all this time and we didn't even need to get to a certain Sun Son level:rotfl:

So that would be great as we already unlocked nearly all of the levels to Sun Son....but....I guess unless we go further than level 9 in Adventure mode(which we can't get past), there's no way to get the Son of Sun achievement anyway, as one of the levels in Gauntlet mode is still locked. That means it currently isn't possible to get them all to Sun Son level.

Oh, and what is the space level? Do you mean the one with the question mark where it just gives you random levels?

I can help you on the 24 hour achievement, simple really, it gets awarded to you after you've played a grand total of 24 hours. Haha, before I got it I thought you had to play a continuous 24 hour Zuma marathon:eek:

I'm sure the Sharp Shooter is impossible to get, like I mentioned before, I have managed to clear the screen of balls within a few seconds, but I've then had to wait for them to roll back on screen. I really can't see how the hell you can destroy them all in that time.

Funny really, I'm not usually such a sucker for achievements, just somehow got on a mission for these ones.
 

rio1981

Well-known Member
Kazuya Mishima said:
You have to achieve 'Sun Son' ranking in every level on Gauntlet mode, except Space. NOTE: you only have to break beyond Jaguar and into Sun Son level 1 for this to work - but for EVERY 'level' except Space.

You sir, have made my day! :smashin:

It would be helpful for a game like this if they actually told you what you had to do for certain achievement. I believe you've made Tetlee and I very happy chappies (what sad lives we lead, eh? :D )

As for the sharpshooter achievement someone asked about this the other day and someone posted a link to an XBox website, where it actually listed how many people had certain achievements on certain games... there are definitely people that have got this achievement, although the number isn't huge by any stretch.

Can't for the life of me remember the link though...
 

Kazuya Mishima

Active Member
rio1981 said:
You sir, have made my day!
You're very welcome.



Tetlee said:
Oh, and what is the space level? Do you mean the one with the question mark where it just gives you random levels?
On Adventure mode, in temple 12 there are 7 levels. The final one, 12-7, is 'Zumaic Exodus' - but if you clear this, you get the funny little dialogue on screen ('ribbit') which tells you that there is one final secret level to do! This is 'Space' - there is no physical structure but the balls still follow a particular winding path round the screen, while stars move in the background making it harder for you to aim.



Tetlee said:
I can help you on the 24 hour achievement, simple really, it gets awarded to you after you've played a grand total of 24 hours. Haha, before I got it I thought you had to play a continuous 24 hour Zuma marathon
So did I! Thanks, guess I haven't played enough yet...:suicide:



rio1981 said:
As for the sharpshooter achievement someone asked about this the other day and someone posted a link to an XBox website, where it actually listed how many people had certain achievements on certain games... there are definitely people that have got this achievement, although the number isn't huge by any stretch.

Can't for the life of me remember the link though...
http://forums.xbox.com/2825707/PrintPost.aspx

Here's the link I found after reading this thread, tried what they suggest and have got it down to 7 seconds so far!!!!


Now that I am close to getting the achievements I want them all - I only obsess over these points when I am close to completion (I got all 200 on Bankshot Billiards!)

To everyone on this thread - "Nikka Chappa ZUMA!"
 

rio1981

Well-known Member
Kazuya Mishima said:
On Adventure mode, in temple 12 there are 7 levels. The final one, 12-7, is 'Zumaic Exodus' - but if you clear this, you get the funny little dialogue on screen ('ribbit') which tells you that there is one final secret level to do! This is 'Space' - there is no physical structure but the balls still follow a particular winding path round the screen, while stars move in the background making it harder for you to aim.

Am I to deduce therefore that you can only get the Son of Sun achievement if you have actually completed the Adventure mode, unlocking every single level? If so I'm knackered!
 

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
rio1981 said:
Am I to deduce therefore that you can only get the Son of Sun achievement if you have actually completed the Adventure mode, unlocking every single level? If so I'm knackered!

:suicide: Likewise, after all those bloody hours trying aswell. Will keep coming back to Adventure now & again but I really can't see me getting past level 9, ah well.
 

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Kazuya Mishima said:
http://forums.xbox.com/2825707/PrintPost.aspx

Here's the link I found after reading this thread, tried what they suggest and have got it down to 7 seconds so far!!!!

Damn, got all excited after visiting that link, thought I might finally be able get the elusive Sharp Shooter achievement.

For some reason I can't get success in doing what they suggest, ie. not signing in until the game loads so you only have access to the first stage in Adventure mode. I've tried about ten times now, even with the modem switched off, but when I go to Adventure, all 9 stages are open every time:confused:

Seems to work for some but not for others? Either way, pretty annoying that the programers decided to make the achievement accessable only when you've just started the game, seems a bit daft to me that, esspecially after trying again & again to get the damn thing:mad:
 

Kazuya Mishima

Active Member
I created a new profile to try this; haven't managed the trick of staying offline with my profile.

I reckoned that if I managed the 5 seconds with this new profile, I may consider the strategy of deleting and re-downloading the game - after all, my achievement points would still stand. Wouldn't they?

At the moment however, I shall have to keep plodding on to get the 24 hour achievement...:suicide:
 

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Kazuya Mishima said:
I created a new profile to try this; haven't managed the trick of staying offline with my profile.

I reckoned that if I managed the 5 seconds with this new profile, I may consider the strategy of deleting and re-downloading the game - after all, my achievement points would still stand. Wouldn't they?

:eek: Don't think I'd go to that extreme, sounds a bit risky to me, might you not get charged again?
 

Kazuya Mishima

Active Member
Don't know, better check it out.. the lengths we will go for a few measly gamerpoints! I'd be better off buying King Kong, Madden or FIFA!
 

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Kazuya Mishima said:
Don't know, better check it out.. the lengths we will go for a few measly gamerpoints! I'd be better off buying King Kong, Madden or FIFA!

Funny thing is I don't usually bother too much about gamerpoints(as you can tell from my gamerscore), for some reason I just got determined to get these two achievements.

It is strange how it varies from game to game with the whole points system though, I mean the Cloning Clyde game gave me 200 points in an easy couple of days, that's more than I've managed to achieve in NFS:MW after weeks of playing:rolleyes:

TBH I struggle to get points on almost all of the games, FN3 is the only game I've managed to get 1000 points with, not difficult to achieve in that game.
 

Kazuya Mishima

Active Member
BTW, if it's any help to anyone I can list the names of all the Gauntlet levels which you require to unlock, there are 21 in total (+ 1 'secret' one, Space).
 

nick501

Distinguished Member
Tried another bash at sharp shooter and got a 6 second level:suicide:

and tried another high score only got 700,000 this time:rolleyes:
 

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
nick501 said:
Tried another bash at sharp shooter and got a 6 second level:suicide:

and tried another high score only got 700,000 this time:rolleyes:

Bugger! So close & yet so far.

So did you use the technique of trying to start the game without loading your profile? Something I tried many times but every time I started all my levels were open so it didn't seem to work for me.

We had a bit of a Zuma marathon last night, although the Son of Sun achievement isn't currently reachable for me due to the fact one level is still locked, we decided to try & get to Sun Son level on all the others.

Finally got there at 3:30am:boring: Was a good challenge though.

Now if we can only get past level 9 which we're currently stuck on, the Son of Sun achievement could appear within reach....finally. Will keep trying but we aren't holding our breath, level 9 is damn tough!
 

nick501

Distinguished Member
Tetlee said:
Bugger! So close & yet so far.

So did you use the technique of trying to start the game without loading your profile? Something I tried many times but every time I started all my levels were open so it didn't seem to work for me.

We had a bit of a Zuma marathon last night, although the Son of Sun achievement isn't currently reachable for me due to the fact one level is still locked, we decided to try & get to Sun Son level on all the others.

Finally got there at 3:30am:boring: Was a good challenge though.

Now if we can only get past level 9 which we're currently stuck on, the Son of Sun achievement could appear within reach....finally. Will keep trying but we aren't holding our breath, level 9 is damn tough!

Yes i used the profile i set up for my son and only level 1 was available, not sure if it'd registered anyway.

as for level 9, yes it is tough and it gets harder esp. 11-4.

I found that it's just luck and 'the run of the balls'. One day you'll fly through the game without losing a life............well thats what sort have happened to me anyway.
 

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Well I'm absolutely gutted, just got to the last level of stage 9, the one that's locked in gauntlet mode. Last life on the last level & died with only about 10 balls left, they were too close to the hole & it just wouldn't give me a bloody roll-back ball to get the buggers back. Ended up having to kill myself as there wasn't any space to break the damn balls without pushing the last one into the hole:eek:

Soooo sooo close, god knows when I'll get that far again:suicide:

[EDIT]There was a positive outcome from reaching that level, just reaching it was enough to unlock it in Gauntlet mode.

Just now I finally managed to get the Sun of Son achievement![EDIT]
 

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom