1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ZP18Q Problem

Discussion in 'TVs' started by bobbles, May 18, 2003.

1. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had TV for just over a year now and I am having my first problem

the controls seem to freeze, via remote or the front panel the only way to get them working again is to turn the TV off and on again

Anyone know cause / possible fix?

2. Uncle_Bill

Uncle_Bill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried replacing the batteries in the remote control.

Reason:
    Many people have the same problem as their batteried go flat, the batterys power is only drawn a little bit at a tome(With each Key Press) and when not being used the remote is not usually drawing any power from the batteries,

Remote control units do not entirely depend on the battery to broadcast a signal when a key is pressed, there is a capacitor connected across the battery which supplies an initial surge of current which is required by the microcontroller inside the remote control and the transmitter/Led initially when a key is pressed.

The problem is that the capacitor is not able to charge up enough due to there being insufficient charge in the battery to charge up the capacitor, the effect being thea a keypress or two or three will work then the remote will either stop transmitting or trans mit a very weak signal that is not understood by the Tv.

The tv controlls are not always very quick to respond, and a person who thinks the tv is faulty is likely to decide the controls are freezing up.

Phew what a long way of explaining something.

Of course the tv could have a fault but i doubt it.

:)

3. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    not the batteries

does it with all remotes which work TV and the front panel controls on the TV stop working

hasn't done it last 2 days mind you

4. Uncle_Bill

Uncle_Bill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh well all you can do is monitor the set and try and make a note of what happens in the room at the time the symptom occurs.

Maybe there is some Infra red interference from one of those energy saving light bulbs as used to happen years ago(obviously i do not know if you have one of these), or mains transients causing the microcontroller in the tv to lock up.

:)