- 480 Processor Cores @ 1242 MHz
- Dual 400 MHz RamDAC
- Max. Resolution @ 2560 x 1600

Memory
- 1792 MB GDDR3
- 1998 MHz memory clock
- 896-bit memory bus
------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, as you can see, both these graphics cards are superb, and you can see they have different spec.

What I wonder though is, the 285 has some better specs than the 295 and vice versa.

But just what spec matters more i wonder basing it on your average gamer ??

Does anyone know ??

(and what the heck does "amp" mean when talking about graphics ??lol, i know it means amplify when talking about sound)

Anyone ?????

The GTX295 is a dual-card GPU. Basically two GTX260's stuck together on one card.
The GTX285 is basically an updated GTX280.

The "AMP" term is simply Zotacs sign that the card is factory overclocked. Much like EVGAs "SSC" or BFGs "OCX".

Both of them are very powerful graphics cards, and thus very expensive. What are the rest of your PC specs? You're going to need a powerful PSU and good CPU if you want to make the most of the cards. Not to mention you're likely to see benifits of these cards if you're running at a high resolution.

The GTX295 is a dual-card GPU. Basically two GTX260's stuck together on one card.
The GTX285 is basically an updated GTX280.

The "AMP" term is simply Zotacs sign that the card is factory overclocked. Much like EVGAs "SSC" or BFGs "OCX".

Both of them are very powerful graphics cards, and thus very expensive. What are the rest of your PC specs? You're going to need a powerful PSU and good CPU if you want to make the most of the cards. Not to mention you're likely to see benifits of these cards if you're running at a high resolution.

This is my spec mate, although i have 6gb of the ram mentioned and not 3 like it says. >>>>>

Case – Coolermaster HAF 932 Gaming Case
CPU – Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz CPU
Graphics Cards – Zotac nVidia GTX 285 AMP Edition 1GB
Hard Drive - Seagate 500GB 7200 32MB SATA Hard Drive
Memory – Corsair TR3X3G1333C9 3GB Tri Channel DDR3
Motherboard – MSI X58 Platinum
Power Supply – Coolermaster 1000W Modular PSU
Optical Drive – Sony DVD -RW 20X SATA LightScribe

p.s
ohh, and my monitor is a very high resolution monitor, so there wont be a prob there.

Ah, OK. Well we can safely assume you won't be bottlenecking any card!

So you already have the 285? Are you thinking of going upgrading to the 295?

I found one set of benchmarks that compared the EVGA GTX285 SSC with numerous other cards, including the 295.

Here it is: EVGA GeForce GTX 285 1GB SSC Edition Review - Page 10 - Hardware Canucks

sorry mate, i should have reported that ive already went ahead and ordered that system i gave the specs for, i was hoping someone would have got back to me straight away, but unfortunatley they didnt, which isnt a prob, i know sometimes people arent always available to comment 24/7, lol.

Anyways, yes i did go ahead and order a system with that spec, plus the extra 3gb matching ram to make the ram up to 6gb :)

You think a 1000watt psu is way more than enough for a system with that spec ?? and also including adding another hard drive and dvd copier etc too ?

yes it is enough but you have to think if you go SLI ,295 or even ATI x2 2 cards at least you no your psu can take it, one thing i might add can you change the psu? as that has 18v rails.. not saying it is crap my Friend has one:thumbsup:

yes it is enough but you have to think if you go SLI ,295 or even ATI x2 2 cards at least you no your psu can take it, one thing i might add can you change the psu? as that has 18v rails.. not saying it is crap my Friend has one:thumbsup:

its part of the system, so no, cant change it.

i thought that was a cracker of a psu too ?? no ?

hmmm, it has 12volt rails, does it not ?

its just listed as whats in the specs ive already posted mate above.

probably is that one mate, as i cant find any other links relating to the one in the spec "Power Supply – Coolermaster 1000W Modular PSU".

So, if it is that one, whats up with it, lol ? or for that matter, any other half decent 1000watt psu.

only thing is the 18v rails, it is a good PSU my Friend runs the same one with no problems, to get higher rails you would have had to pay £50+

only thing is the 18v rails, it is a good PSU my Friend runs the same one with no problems, to get higher rails you would have had to pay £50+

ohh i think i know what you mean, you mean like if i wanted to use two cards for sli or crossfire ?
i cant see where it says anything about 18v rails though ?

no/yea ????

Hmmm, i still dont understand all the techno volts and amp stuff very well :(

Iam looking at the spec of my psu thats in my current computer, psu is a thermaltake toughpower 700watt, this is link to it >>> ThermalTake Toughpower Series Cable Management 700W Active : novatech.co.uk : TT-W0106

I notice on the spec for my current psu it mentions "" Next generation four +12V rails(12V1, 12V2, 12V3, 12V4) supports high-end graphic card and PC system (combined loading of 56A) ""

But i dont see that same stuff spoke about with the coolmaster one, how come ?? i remember someone saying that the combined loading amp's is very important, but i cant see anything on that coolmaster link you posted that says anything about combined loading ??

Please advise.

ive searched for a while and although i can see every website says this psu is amazing, i cant find any that mention the total ampage.

who knows why ???

The PSU is great.

Infact, you could've got away with a lot less!
A Corsair HX620W for example would handle that rig fine.

yea but what about the total ampage, i cant find that info ?

for witch psu? coolmaster or the toughpower? also why do you want to no?

for the coolmaster*

just wanting to know, thats all, lol, in the spec for my current thermaltake one it mentions total ampage ""Next generation four +12V rails(12V1, 12V2, 12V3, 12V4) supports high-end graphic card and PC system (combined loading of 56A)"".

But with the coolmaster one i cant find that info anywhere.

MOD Comment: Please do not link to images on other sites

That's the output range for your Coolermaster PSU.

There's no such thing as "18V" rails. It has 6 "12V" rails, 4 of them run at a peak current of 18 amps. The other two run at a max 28 amps.

MOD Comment: Please do not link to images on other sites
This table is for the ThermalTake, it has 4 "12V" rails all running at a max 18 amps.

The 12V rails are what really matter in a PSU, as they are the ones that power the GPU and CPU etc. Your new Coolermaster has 2 more 12V rails than the ThermalTake.

I'd stop worrying if I was you, your PSU has enough juice to power, well, just about anything!

Mod Comment:Site admins do not like leaching of thier images as it consume thier bandwith

Last edited by a moderator:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom