1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zoomplayer & TheaterTek

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by MarkHudds, Apr 2, 2003.

1. MarkHudds

MarkHudds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm new to Zoomplayer and I'm after a bit of advice as to how to get the best picture and SPDIF sound from it.

The 2 Players that I've got available at the moment are PowerDVD XP 4 and the ATI player (came with my AIW 8500DV). From what I can gather, the ATI player is best for picture quality and PowerDVD is better for sound options.

Should I therefore be looking to do a ATI/PowerDVD filter mix in Zoomplayer to get the best performance or is there something else I can get? How do I do this mix/selection :confused:

Second question relates to TheaterTek - has anyone gone from PowerDVD to TheaterTek and seen a massive picture improvement? Also can anyone confirm that TheaterTek can play a DVD from a hard disc by file association with the main VIDEO_TS.IFO?

2. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Me!!!

I was never happy with the PQ from my HTPC untill i tried Theatretek. It is a very notceable improvemnt.

3. MarkHudds

MarkHudds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    John,

Have you tried playing a DVD off HD with Theatertek?

4. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,404
    I moved from PowerDVD 4 to Theatertek - and yes the picture is better. Not massively but better. Besides the aspect ratio control is great cause you can increase images so that they fill the screen exactly and then save all your preferences (video settings, sound and aspect) per disc.

There is a way to play DVDs off your hardrive, but I haven't done it yet. Have a look at the forum in the Theatretek website - there is plenty of discussion on that topic.

Cheers

5. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    No not yet, it is possible (or so I'm told), on my list of things to try though.

6. cwinson

cwinson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have 'backed up' a DVD to disk on my main PC (HTPC still being built) and run it through TheatreTek. You need to do the following:

1) Use DVDDecrypter to create an ISO image. For a straight copy, you're looking at c4-5GB on the disk. I believe this can be cut down by removing unused subtitles, soundtracks, extras etc, but haven't tried yet
    2) Mount ISO image as a virtual DVD drive using Daemon Tools or AlcoholSoft. Daemon tools is free and works fine.
    3) Start up TT, pointing to the new virtual drive

As far as quality goes, it's as good as the disk - straight copy. Navigating the chapters is v.v. quick.

If I can get enough hard disk space, I may look to create a jukebox for my DVDs - possibly installing disks in my normal PC (for noise reasons) and mounting the images across the network. Not sure what network bandwidth I need, and whether it could be done wirelessly (802.11a = 54Mbps) - Anyone tried this ?

Chris

7. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    1. Download a free piece of software called SmartRipper
    2. Install it on your PC
    3. Put the DVD into drive and start Smartripper
    4. In the target section create the backup in a folder structure as follows:
    c:\name\VIDEO_TS (I thing the root nust be the hard disk...but not sure)
    e.g c:\fifthelement\VIDEO_TS
    5. Click the Files tab and click All
    6. Rip the DVD and close SmartRipper
    7. Download a free piece of software called DVDStarter
    8. Install it on your PC
    9. Start this program and click File - File Locations
    10. Click the middle button on the right with three dotd and browse for the Theatertek.exe file
    11. Close DVDStarter
    12. Start My Computer and reduce the size so u can see the icon for DVDstarter on the desktop
    13. Browse for the Folder containing the ripped DVD (in my eg above it's Fifthelement)
    14. Drag this folder onto the DVDstarter icon on the desktop
    15. Bob's your uncle ,Mary's your aunt and you're watching a DVD from the Hard drive

Remember that not all DVDs will work from the HD. Iwas using Oh Brother... to test and it only worked when I had the DVD stil in the DVD drive

Good luck

Conor

8. MarkHudds

MarkHudds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks all,

I'm already ok with ripping DVDs to HD, however what I wanted to know is that if I associate IFO files with the TT exe then will it play a DVD off HD simply by double clicking the VIDEO_TS.IFO file?

Zoomplayer does!

9. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I don't think so

You can also try this but I couldn't get it to work

Conor

10. cwinson

cwinson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I could only get it to work if the DVD was ripped as a .ISO file, not the raw files (incl. the .IFO, .VOBs etc). This can be done by selecting ISO mode in DVD Decrypter.

Daemon Tools can then mount this file to a virtual drive for playback in TT.

I've not seen any way of creating a .ISO from the .IFO & VOBs etc

Chris

11. Punce

Punce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I've been doing this for months. This is what I do...

1) Find out where your movie (IFO) is located - eg C:\DVD\LOTR

2) Click on Start -> Run, and type subst x: c:\dvd\lotr

This basically creates a drive called X: and the path you specify will become the root folder. (you can choose a different drive letter if you wish)

3) Make sure you have no DVD in any of your drives, and start up TheaterTek. It will start playing your DVD from the HD, voila!

Note: If you want to change the substitute path for that drive for your next film, I reccommend disconnecting the current one and create another one. So type subst x: /d before creating the new one.

It works every time for me...

Mark