1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zoomplayer/Dscaler audio

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by denniswaugh, Sep 21, 2005.

1. denniswaugh

denniswaugh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've started to use Zoomplayer 4.5 with the Dscaler 5.006 codecs.

Is there any point to using other audio codecs i.e. Windvd/PowerDvd audio codecs instead of the Dscaler audio codec. I always select SPDIF out to my Yam A1 receiver.

Thanks

2. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Yes - there is a point. Using Zoomplayer I compared PowerDVD to WinDVD and NvDVD. The Nvidia audio I found ro be the best.

The codec still handles the SPdif data and they do this in different ways - hence they are not all equal.

3. mattwakeman

mattwakeman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another vote for NVidia but since zoom is so easy to configure just vote with your ears. But I was surprised that moving to HTPC would be a bigger difference to the sound than to the picture.

4. Dr_Mike

Dr_Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I couldn't get the latest PowerDVD(6) audio codec to work with zoomplayer. I get a 'no common media type error' for the connection between the codec and the audio renderer (whichever renderer I use).

WinDVD works Ok with Zoomplayer but I don't get the full range of audio options (eg Dolby Headphone) that you can see in the WinDVD player.

With the Nvidia codec, only SPDIF output works in Zoomplayer, all the other options give silence. Everything works fine in WMP though.

Another one to try would be AC3filter (free). This does passthrough of DD over SPDIF, but doesn't seem to recognise DTS.

5. denniswaugh

denniswaugh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,
    Thanks for the replies.

I have used WinDVD 6, PowerDVD 5 and Nero audio codecs. Could not get Nvidia to work.

WinDVD always reverted to 2 channel mode. PowerDVD and Nero didn't sound that good to me.

Now using the ffdshow audio codec and it sounds good.
    I'm suprised this codec is not mentioned more often.

What does AC3 filter do that others don't.

Thanks