Zooming parents - help with connecting bluetooth speakers please.

DIYlady

Distinguished Member
I'm currently running an unofficial technical helpdesk for my father (88), mil (86), aunt and uncle (80) and sundry friends; I suspect there are a few of you that can sympathise with this one ;)

My father at 88 is holed up in a retirement complex and with Covid-19 all communal facilities have been closed. I am too far away to justify the drive at the moment and as he is fairly deaf (has a cochlear implant) phone calls don't work, so virtually zero contact of any sort. I've been trying zoom with him.

It has been fairly hilarious as he managed to get the video up but no sound, so in the end we had him on the iphone and ipad, using the phone to show me what was on his iPad screen so that I could message instructions via text.:laugh: (and before anyone says, yes I know you can share screen, but that also requires instructions!). Anyway, we did eventually get his microphone and audio switched on.:clap:

However, this still involves me having to shout even with the iPad volume on full and we therefore need to link up his bluetooth speaker. He says he is able to link the speaker to the ipad and play you tube videos and music through it, so we know that it does work, but we can't find anywhere on the app to ask zoom to use the external speakers. Note that his app looks different to mine (both recent downloads) and I have got mine playing through an external speaker, but I don't have the same hardware.

So, is anyone on here using an iPadPro running under v13.3.1 with a recent zoom download and if so please could you see if you can get the sound working with a bluetooth speaker and tell me where it is/how you did it. (His speaker is a Bose mini).

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
Sideways option maybe but could you send him some earphones to plug into the iPad?

DIYlady

Distinguished Member
Sideways option maybe but could you send him some earphones to plug into the iPad?
Thanks but as I said he has a cochlea implant. Earphones as much use as a chocolate teapot!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom