Zoom Question

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by oconnpad, Oct 17, 2005.

1. oconnpad

oconnpad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Guys,

I'm looking to get a projector in the next while and it will probably be 1 of the LCD's currently being discussed so much lately, either the 900 or Z4.

My question is about using the 2X zoom on it, is it something that's new feature to projectors or is it a tried and tested function.

My room is 9ft in length so my max throw would be about 8ft or little less???? according to the screen calculator on projector central this will give me a massive 40in screen :) on 1X zoom or 80in screen on 2X zoom.

My thinking is using close to 2X zoom for a 72in screen but is the zoom a good feature to use? is there cons to using it?

Thanks
    Paddy

2. Neil in Bristol

Neil in Bristol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    The zoom is a pretty standard feature on projectors. In my experience, it doesn't affect the picture quality in any way.

(I might be stating the obvious here, but note that the image size at at any particular throw distance is different for different projector models, so 2x zoom on one model might give a different size image to a 2x zoom on another)

3. oconnpad

oconnpad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Cheers Neil.

Yeah i presumed while projectors have 2X on them it's obviously based on their own specific throw, it just so happens the 900 and the Z4 have the same size screen at 8 ft.

4. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,082
    I think that the 2x zoom is fairly new, most pjs are under that i.e 1.2-1.5. I think that LCDs are the only ones at the moment with 2x zoom, the 2x zoom will give you more flexibility with placement of the pj than say a zoom less than 2x, hth.