1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zoom Player + Nvidia Codec + FFDSHOW

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by mikeyavman, Feb 12, 2005.

1. mikeyavman

mikeyavman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I rebuilt my system today, took a new image before I messed with any apps on it (my system doesnt have a floppy but the via serial driver is needed to build from xp cd).

I finally got everything working sweetly, I am using NVPP and then FDDSHOW to clean and resize the image, it looks lovely at 1440x1152. My cpu sits at 92% though whilst it runs. Anyway, troy looks amazing but I guess I am doubling PAL resolution? so would need to change this for NTSC films?

I plan on hooking all this to my plasma screen which I think has a native resolution of 852x480, so here is my real question. Should I scale everything high with FDDSHOW and let the plasma rescale back down? or should I scale it to 852x480? should I set windows resolution to 852x480 in any event?

2. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am wondering the same thing about scaling the DVD to the Plasma Res Using FFDShow

One question for you though what CPU do you have to get 1440x1152 playing smooth?

3. mikeyavman

mikeyavman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 3500+ winchester.

4. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I set FDFShow to resize to 1440x960 and its very stuttery and i have a Athlon 64 3500, not the new winchester but i dont see why that would make a HUGE difference

Hmm

5. mikeyavman

mikeyavman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It shouldnt..

What version of FDDSHOW are you using? are you running other filters? I am running blur and then resize.

6. mikeyavman

mikeyavman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also I am running an nvidia 6600GT, which might help with its hardware decoding?

7. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. mikeyavman

mikeyavman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Odd, the only difference is that I am using:

ffdshow-20040801a_preview_SSE2.exe

9. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is the very latest version which supports SSE2?

10. mikeyavman

mikeyavman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried the latest, it wouldnt have it. I used the one listed above as it is known as 'Andys' version.

11. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The 20040709_SSE2 (aka. Andy's) is one of the two most used versions it seems, the other is 20041012.

Mikey: to be honest, with a display of x480 then I'd not worry about switching between NTSC and PAL, I'd scale to double native if that gives you a good image. I scale to 1920x1080 and output at 1280x720, although theory says the ideal is to scale to native I find oversampling helps a little bit.

12. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I now have smooth playback

But fome some reason the Aspect ratio is not right as in its a 4.3 image unless i go into theatreTek and untick the keep aspect ratio box

I could od this but then i am wonder if i am getting the right aspect ratio

I have scaled to double DVD res so how come FDFshow is giving me a 4:3 aspect (and it does not matter what aspect setting i choose in FDFShow settings)

13. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I also have to disable the 'Lock AR', never understood why. I also set 'Auto AR' in TT and 'No Change' in FFDSHOW, always works right.

14. mikeyavman

mikeyavman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    KraGorn, that was my concern, ie I would be scaling down in effect from 720x576 to 852x480.

Guess I need to play and see what looks good. It is all a bit mind boggling at the moment, I have to mess with dscaler next (I think 5 is just codecs? not an app?). I used dscaler with an RF input into my pvr pci card and it wasnt bad, that was before I tried native resolution and an svideo input.

All this is controlled via netremote and a globalcache on a pda with girder and dvdprofiler providing jukebox functions. I am struggling with the amount to do and the learning curve.

15. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Yes, the DScaler MPEG decoder is a separate download from the full package which AFAIK is still at 4.11beta.

As for scaling, then yes you're right, ultimately it goes from 720x576 to 852x480, it all depends on which components are involved. To be honest, FFDSHOW usually doesn't make much difference when outputting to a resolution more or less the same as the source, removal of noise and some edge ringing seem to be the main effects of oversampling.

And it does get somewhat involved, all the bits of software in the playback chain, then the remote etc.