Zoom on EP35 - am I missing something?

haf63

Novice Member
I had a home made dvd on my e35 and it was in letterbox format but only about 50% of the size of my 50" panasonic plasma. On my old tosh dvd player there was a zoom button which let you change size etc but i can't find the equivalent on the new ep35? I have zoom on my TV but that goes from 1x to 2x so zooms too much and am struggling to see how else i can adjust the size of the picture. Is it me or have tosh got rid of zoom?

kingfats

Distinguished Member
I had a home made dvd on my e35 and it was in letterbox format but only about 50% of the size of my 50" panasonic plasma. On my old tosh dvd player there was a zoom button which let you change size etc but i can't find the equivalent on the new ep35? I have zoom on my TV but that goes from 1x to 2x so zooms too much and am struggling to see how else i can adjust the size of the picture. Is it me or have tosh got rid of zoom?
Hi mate :)
Here's an old post on the said matter. :)

If that's true it's just ridiculous, my 2001 Toshiba DVD player can zoom in about 8 times while playing the movie and scrolling about - and it's not even needed with SD discs, it's HD-DVD where this function might actually have a use! On the EP30 Owners forum someone said that the 'A' button was for zoom, but this doesn't work for me....can ANYONE confirm if there is a hardware (rather than disc-based) zoom function on the EP30/EP35?

Well my Sony DVD player from around 2000 has no zoom. It's not part of the DVD spec and not part of the HD DVD spec as I understand it.

The 'A' button is what Warner use in their HD DVD software to zoom. All Warner discs I've tried so far use it. It's also mentioned in the disc menu. Similar to the 'B' button for bookmarks which again I've only seen Warner do. It appears it's down to the studios to implement it, and each studio write their software differently. That's something you have to get used to with HD formats. The player just plays the movie and reads the software that runs the menus. How that software actually works is down to the studios.

Anyway, in the manual and on the box I can't see any reference to zoom. The A to D buttons are just referenced as buttons for use during HD DVD playback (presumably because the disc software defines what they do, not the player).

The only hardware support the player might have is just the ability in the decoder to zoom into the image. This I suspect is also used for some of the Picture in Picture features where some titles literally zoom the film in and out as bits of information or a side video is played.

haf63

Novice Member
Thanks Kingfats, a bit disappointing i have to say but i have only needed it one home-made dvd so maybe it won't be that important....

flipfella

I have the same problem with some retail sd dvds

The simpsons movie does this on both my e1 and my ps3, I also find most trailers on dvd's have the same problem

I got a full screen on the ps3 by changing the 4:3 options to pan and scan

This is using a panasonic ae700 projector using hdmi

I think it must be a problem with the authoring of some disks

Phil

andythescientis

Universal tend to use the A button for U-control toggling. I noticed paramount used the A button for zooming on star trek the original series.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom