Zoom Lens

BAN5HEE

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys. I is a noob when it comes to Digital photography. I got an EOS 350D for Xmass and have been playing around with but would really like a zoom lens to take long distance photos. I don't mind buying second hand and my budget is about £300. What would you guys recommend?

for £369 you can get a new 70-300mm IS USM lens from abc. got one attactched to mine right now and its quite a sexy bit of kit!

Cool I will take a look thanks Tony. :thumbsup:

tony79 said:
for £369 you can get a new 70-300mm IS USM lens from abc. got one attactched to mine right now and its quite a sexy bit of kit!
Where from at that price?

It's a bit over my budget but is the lens worth it? It looks nice :D

Havent really played too much with mine so cant really comment about its performance too much. plan on taking it out on thur if weather holds up. will post results of the day out.

Highly rated lens by users....

Take a look here for great user reviews.
And here for all canon zoom lenses sorted by average user rating - it comes 11th, but 9 of the top 10 are 'L' glass and the other is 10-22mm.

I've got one - it's great! :thumbsup:

bowenjones said:
I think he means HERE.
That is very tempting :D

Cheers for that link, I'd been waiting over a fortnight for an out of stock 24-105 L IS to be delivered and saw they've got 'em in stock so I ordered one and it's on it's way to me tomorrow hopefully! :thumbsup:

I even saved myself a whole pound too. :rotfl:

bowenjones said:
I think he means HERE.
That is very tempting :D
Well, it proved to be TOO tempting. I've just ordered one :D
It's currently out of stock though but as I won't be ordering my 350D for another two weeks I should still get it before.

You could have saved yourself £50 by shopping elsewhere for just a body.
But, as long as you're happy with your camera, that's all that counts :thumbsup:

My supplier of choice at the moment seems to be WarehouseExpress, 350d@£469 body only or £499 with the 18-55 also have the 70-300IS@£369 factor in £7.95 P&P, also do 9month interest free for those interested.

I'm looking at getting mine from cameras2u.
At the moment, body only is £440 and with kit lens it's £490. The delivery is free. They don't stock the 70-300IS lens though.

My supplier of choice at the moment seems to be WarehouseExpress, 350d@£469 body only or £499 with the 18-55 also have the 70-300IS@£369 factor in £7.95 P&P, also do 9month interest free for those interested.

Would there be a large leap in PQ from my Sigma 70-300mm lens to the Canon?

Pete.

Indeed i would IF I had just bought a body BUT I bought a body plus a EF-S 17-85 IS USM lens which cost £745 and from cameras2u would have cost £897.

I also wanted it the same day and from a shop and not a PO Box

petrolhead said:
Indeed i would IF I had just bought a body BUT I bought a body plus a EF-S 17-85 IS USM lens which cost £745 and from cameras2u would have cost £897.

I also wanted it the same day and from a shop and not a PO Box
I see. Didn't realise you had ordered the 17-85 IS package. I was not in any way having a pop at you petrolhead, I apologise if that's what you thought. From what I've read about that lens and the pictures I've seen taken with it that's an excellent deal :smashin:

Don't worry my lack of smiles was doe to spending all day yesterday at a track day and I was sooo knackered :)

petrolhead said:
I bought a body plus a EF-S 17-85 IS USM lens which cost £745
Great price! That put's the body at £345 (if you bought the lens for £400, which I did!)

Hi Banshee,
Bought my 70-300 lens from Jessops the other day for £369. Get a copy of the latest Digital Photo magazine "April edition" and Jessops have a voucher in it that says they will price match any company advertising in the mag. I took it to my local shop and the checked with warehouse express and deal done, plus I saved on PandP.:thumbsup:

Hope to get the 70-300 IS lens when there available again

Just had an email off abc which confirmed that they were out of stock. They said that they'll be getting more from their supplier in 14-21 days. This doesn't bother me too much though as I won't be ordering my camera for another two weeks.

Highgord said:
Hi Banshee,
Bought my 70-300 lens from Jessops the other day for £369. Get a copy of the latest Digital Photo magazine "April edition" and Jessops have a voucher in it that says they will price match any company advertising in the mag. I took it to my local shop and the checked with warehouse express and deal done, plus I saved on PandP.:thumbsup:

Great thanks Highlord! I have tomorrow off so sounds like it could be shopping time for me :)

What's so good about the 'IS USM' lenses?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom