zoom lens recommendations for D3100

aldo82

Novice Member
Hi folks,

I use a D3100 with just the kit lens at the mo as I decided to wait to see what sort of lens I thought I's use before picking up a second one. I fancy getting a zoom, ideally up to 300 mm.

I've played with a friends Tamron 70-300 cheapie lens and enjoyed using it in bright conditions but would be concerned about its lack of stabilisation in darker conditions. So, I've been considering the Nikon 55-300, anyone use this? Or I believe Tamron now do a 70-300 VC which is a little more than the Nikon and gets good reviews. Is it worth paying that little extra over the Nikon? Or would I be better trying to get a faster max aperture and perhaps limiting myself to 200 mm max (to save money). If so, any recommendations? My budget inclduing filter is as little as possible(!) but 300 absolute max. I'd like the lens to be quite versatile - perhaps with close focussing to allow a bit of macro type work (I appreciate it wouldn't be true macro but I won't be able to afford a dedicated lens for some time).

Many thanks!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom