Zoom H4n or macbook?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by gaddster, Jan 12, 2012.

1. gaddster

gaddster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Guys

I am about to start a small project, several interviews and extra footage for a community project. Using a TM900 for imaging and bought a rode videomic pro, plus a Rode lavaliere mic for interviews.

BUT do I get the H4n recorder or should I make use of the Macbook pro I have to capture the interview audio via the rode lavaliere mic?? (i could capture the sound in adobe audition or garageband on my macbook pro etc) I also have an iPad 2 so could collect a small amount on that too (anyone tried this?)

Any thoughts, problems foreseen or advice before i spend more valuable cash?

Thanks

2. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +444
    Hi

I would think a purpose built device like the H4n would be more reliable. It's power requirements are less for a start. Also analogue into a laptop will probably result in more noise (although still may be so low as not to be a problem).

Regards

Phil

3. gaddster

gaddster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks phil

Yes you're right, the more I researched, the more it became clear that the H4N would suit my needs and be more practical. I never thought about the laptop picking up more noise, good point.

So I have just ordered one now 😊