1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zoom Function Query

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Jim Cheese, Dec 22, 2001.

1. Jim Cheese

Jim Cheese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bear with me I'm new.

I'm confused about zoom.

I have small room so I want to be able to project the biggest image I can. (I have a distance between lens and screen of 9 foot).

Do I want a

1:1.2

or

1: 1.3 zoom?

Two things I have read say opposite things.

One said "if you have 1:1.3 zoom you get up to 30% bigger image and if 1:1.2 zoom you would get 20% bigger image"

so naturally I look for 1:1.3 zoom.

The other thing I read said "1:1.3 means you throw 1m diagonal size image at 1.3 metres from screen"

Both these statements suggest someone is confused.... namely ME! LOL

What's best for small room please? do I want 1:1.3 or 1:1.2

Mark (I'm looking to buy a projector soon you see, for computer games only)

2. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    1:1.2 or 1:1.3 isn't important. All it tells you is how much bigger the maximum picture size will be compared to the minimum size.

The information you need is "what size screen at what throw distance". This is called the Lens Throw Ratio. Sometimes it is quoted in technical specs (eg 1:1.8~2.3), or it can be calculated from the chart (example) used to show picture size at a particular throw distance.

The lower the first number after the colon (eg x:1.3~x.xx) the bigger the image at a short throw distance.

Good luck