1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

zoom function on plasma's? who uses it....

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by allygash, Dec 18, 2004.

1. allygash

allygash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I watch widescreen 235:1 & 2.40:1 DVD's on my pioneer 504hde it drives me nuts to see the black bars at the top & bottom of the screen so I use the zoom function. I take it by zooming the screen I'm in theory loosing some quality? even if I cant see it. I realize pple may appear stretched a little, but do u guys just grin & bare it when u see the black bars?

Thx.

Pioneer 504hde/868/ax5ai

2. astirling

astirling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    The black bars don't bother me in the slightest....especially as I tend to view films in the dark. I'm seeing the film as it was meant to be viewed. I certainly don't think I'd like my picture stretched!! Each to their own I suppose.

3. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    50" Plasma :thumbsup:

Zoom films to lose black bars :eek: :thumbsdow :suicide: :nono: :mad: :censored:

4. allygash

allygash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, but dont u think its a bit retarded that they cant release movies that fit wide screen tvs fully yet still retain the aspect? Its seems mad to me that u purchase 50" plasma only to see black bars & therefore leave a percentage of the screen under ultilized?

Or is that the plasma manufacturers r to blame by not making screens in the 2.35 to 2.40:1 aspect where most widescreen dvds r now?

Is any of this makin sense(probabley not....) :suicide:

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    In a perfect world, you would get two versions of the movie - one in its native resolution to suit the "purists" who want to see it exactly the way it was made, and another in 16:9 for plasma and small screen owners. Instead, they give us "How it was made", "alternative endings", "out-takes", "star profiles" and other junk that the majority don't watch. Exactly why they do this is beyond me.

6. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Film directors seem to like the 2.35:1 aspect ratio but also still use 16:9 for some films. All older TV programmes are in 4:3 material. Therefore the 16:9 ratio is a good compromise.

After having spent several thousand pounds on a home cinema system, I want to see all material in exactly the same format as the director intended. Thereore I don't mind black bars either at the top and bottom or at the sides for 4:3 matierial.

7. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I've just discovered that my DVD player has a zoom mode which allows several levels of zoom onto an anamorphic picture without distorting it. This means I can get rid of black bars on a 2.35:1 aspect movie and still retain the correct proportionality. Also it seems to give a better quality picture than the panny zoom.

However, I will never use this zoom function.

8. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shouldn't the zoom function retain the proportions and not cause stretching? I haven't used it on my Panasonic, but I kinda assumed it would zoom in the ratio of 16:9...

Simon

9. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Zoom is designed for non anamorphic letterboxed widescreen pictures. Some of my older DVDs are letterboxed and therefore if I used 16:9, they would appear stretched sideways with very big black bars top and bottom.