Zoom Control

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by AntonPablo, Mar 29, 2006.

1. AntonPablo

AntonPablo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Panasonic model S29. I choose this because I hate the top and bottom black horizontal lines of a letterbox and widescreen format and found out that the S29 has a manual zoom control. Previous models I tested automatically enlarges the picture to x2 or x3 and cuts off a lot from the left and right side of the picture, not to mention reducing the sharpness of the picture quality. The S29 can enlarge by .01 incremental units such as x1.12 or x1.2 so that you can settle for a compromise between reduction of the black horizontal line, picture loss at the side and picture sharpness. I would like to know if there are other models and brands with the same zoom control feature or perhaps a better feature which removes the black lines without cropping the sides of the picture and without reducing picture quality.
    Regards from the Philippines, ---Anton.

2. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    well if it zooms in but dosent crop then it is just stretching the image.
    and if thats the case you deserve a mighty slap for not being a true videobuff:eek: though i cant believe you would prefer to loose image than see black bars . your tv may have some sort of aspect control that should get rid of the bars but its always at the cost of image quality to some extent, a slight strech would be better than croping imho.

3. zeropoint

zeropoint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Don't try watching Lord of the Rings in stretch mode: the rings come out looking egg-shaped:D

4. zeropoint

zeropoint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Samsung players have a decent zoom feature named EZView, which offers a stretch fit too, although IMHO this is worse than cropping. There are some players with independent horiz./vert. zoom - momitsu possibly - but the Panasonic zoom is my favourite.