Zone A or B for new Bluray Collector?

Krobar

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Just got my BH200. The player can be set by remote to either region A or region B but the key combination is long and mistakes could brick the player so switching on a daily basis is not really an option.

My exisiting large DVD collection is about 40% import. I can see that more discs are region A coded than B but which zone would others pick?

Hi Everyone,

Just got my BH200. The player can be set by remote to either region A or region B but the key combination is long and mistakes could brick the player so switching on a daily basis is not really an option.

My exisiting large DVD collection is about 40% import. I can see that more discs are region A coded than B but which zone would others pick?

Hi Krobar. :)
The remote hack is for SD DVD,yeah? :)
All the best.

Hi Krobar. :)
The remote hack is for SD DVD,yeah? :)
All the best.

NO It is definitely the Blue Ray zone that switches. I can switch mine between Zone A and B (Have Master and Commander UK and AVP Requiem USA to test with). SD-DVD on the BH200 can be made Region 0 with a hack disk (RCE disks dont work though).

Im region B but if i had the choice over again id probably go A...just for the greater choice more than anything else.Region coding is such a pain in the a**e.

couldn't you program the sequences into a dedicate MR remote?

I would pick A, cheaper discs and more coded, plus you have the option to play all the region B and C non coded ones, of which there are more.

NO It is definitely the Blue Ray zone that switches. I can switch mine between Zone A and B (Have Master and Commander UK and AVP Requiem USA to test with). SD-DVD on the BH200 can be made Region 0 with a hack disk (RCE disks dont work though).

Ok cheers :smashin:.............maybe,region A then? :D

couldn't you program the sequences into a dedicate MR remote?

I would pick A, cheaper discs and more coded, plus you have the option to play all the region B and C non coded ones, of which there are more.

Could do possibly. Its a shame the BH200 does have an RS232 connection since that would be much more reliable for this sort of thing.

Changing zone involves editing the EEPRom header directly, mistakes here could permanatly kill the player but I dont think you even have to reboot after changing.

I'm thinking Zone A would be best too. My main worry is it could be difficult to obtain 240V Zone A hardware in future.

You are not alone wanting a RS232 interface, a trick most of these players have cut out in the drive to keep costs down.

Thanks everyone. I went Zone A.

I can also confirm the BH200 Zone remote hack works fine. You dont even have to power cycle between changes. :D

I think the Blu-ray region question depends on whether you intend to buy all the films you watch or not. If you intend to use say Lovefilm to try some of the catalogue releases before splashing your cash, then Region B makes sense.

For new releases, I'm finding as long as you pre-order or buy in first week of release from somewhere like Asda, you're not paying any more than a couple of pounds more than an import... I then wait for offers for older stuff if I want it, although new releases tend to be of more interest to me atm...

.....For new releases, I'm finding as long as you pre-order or buy in first week of release from somewhere like Asda, you're not paying any more than a couple of pounds more than an import... .

Or Tesco's Jersey site, so you have no VAT to pay :)

I think the Blu-ray region question depends on whether you intend to buy all the films you watch or not. If you intend to use say Lovefilm to try some of the catalogue releases before splashing your cash, then Region B makes sense.

For new releases, I'm finding as long as you pre-order or buy in first week of release from somewhere like Asda, you're not paying any more than a couple of pounds more than an import... I then wait for offers for older stuff if I want it, although new releases tend to be of more interest to me atm...

I have a region A player but have rented dozens of BDs from LoveFilm, only had 2 that didn't work!

If you are a Criterion fan you should know that they will most likely be Region A on the majority of their titles (starting October).

If you are a Criterion fan you should know that they will most likely be Region A on the majority of their titles (starting October).

Why would they do that when the majority of their dvd releases are not coded and most of the titles are lucky to be released elsewhere anyway.

Even studio titles like Spartacus are region 0 on their dvd

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom