1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zone 2 vs A/B

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Zac1, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Zac1

Zac1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am about to purchase an AVR300, but had a quick question on Zone 2.

I currently have a low end Denon, but even it has A/B/A+B speaker selection so i can run my second set of speakers out on the deck occasionally.

With the AVR300, I believeI can use speakers 6&7 to do this via Zone 2 (and even use a diifferent source than playing on the 5.1 (correct??)

However, I think I would get more benefit out of bi-amping the two fronts with 6&7.

1)My question is, why do the upper end AVRs (Arcam, Rotel) not have an A/B function.

2)If I biamp the fronts, can I use the line out to Zone 2 and get a cheap 2ch amp for the outside speakers.

Any thoughts.

Thanks

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,243
    Yeah you should be able to do this, all you need is a stereo power amp, somehting like the Arcam A80 would be suitable.

3. Designer

Designer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    By this do you mean 'why don't they have two sets of speaker terminals running in parallel, one operated by switch A one by switch B?'

If that's what you mean then the answer is fairly simple - space. We can do stuff like that on 2 channel amps, but on a 7-channel AV-receiver, there simply isn't enough room for the mostly redundant duplicate speaker terminals. It isn't functaionality that most people want.

Hope that helps.

4. Zac1

Zac1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, thats what I mean, thanks. I would have thought its a cheap way to add a feature (no extra amps or processing) especially with what I would have thought would soon be a lot of redundant composite connections.

Didn't realize I was that unique in requiring it.

Like I said, seems a waste of the Zone 2 for occasional use. Oh well.....

5. Zac1

Zac1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, the A80 would well and truly be overkill for my outside speakers. Any ideas on relatively cheap 2 ch amps (wouldn't need any processing would I as that would still be done by the AVR300).

Sorry, I'm in Australia and not as many (affordable) choices.

Thanks

6. Designer

Designer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Zac1,

The problem with composite connections is that they just HAVE to be there for the forseeable future. Not everyone's display has HDMI. It is true that most people on this forum wouldn't dream of connecting their system together using composite (it is hideous after all!), but it has to be there for legacy gear, VCRs and the like. Plus, if you run RGB+S, you need the composite input to provide the sync.

That's why AV gear looks so busy from the back. It has to cater for 3 or 4 video formats to be compatible with the source and display devices people have.

It would also be lovely to convert from any video format to HDMI, and that will no doubt become more common, but the chipsets aren't so easily available yet and there's the obvious cost issue.

...but with all these video and audio connections, there just ain't room for more large speaker terminals.

I also have a hunch that Dolby wouldn't take too kindly to the A/B/A+B system being employed. At the very least they would insist the A/B/A+B thing was disabled for anthing other than a stereo signal.

7. Zac1

Zac1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fair point (although how many legacy systems don't have at least s vid) especially for someone buying a $3,000 (Aus $) AVR.

I guess I really appreciate the quality of the Arcam, and hate to waste some of it on some cheap outside speakers.

Thanks for the input.