Zone 2 Question: AVR-2309 with RX-V363

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Phaedrus68, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Phaedrus68

Phaedrus68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi,

I think I have this right, but I'd apreciate confirmation from anyone willing to help:

I'm going to have an AVR-2309 running 5.1 in one room, and an RX-V363 running 5.1 in another room.

I'd like to be able to send audio played by a DMR-EX88 in the 2309 room to the RX-V363 in the other room, so the same audio will be heard in both rooms.

I'd also like to be able to send audio played by a DMR-EX88 in the 2309 room to the RX-V363 in the other room, so that audio will be heard in just the RX-V363 room, and another source will be watched/heard in the 2309 room.

I take it that I don't want to send an amplified audio signal to the RX-V363, given that the RX-V363 is an amp on its own?

So should this all be done via the 2309's "Zone 2" functionality?

I'm reading the US 2309 manual this morning, and it says to use the zone 2 connections to a separate integrated amp, so I'm sure that's what I should do, but my understanding was that the Zone 2 outputs were for the AVR-2309 to send amplified signal to an extra pair of separate speakers (not part of the main 5.1 set-up).

Thanks for any replies,

Mark

2. dwhite

dwhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,805
    You would use the preout section of the Denon 2309, this is the unamplified output, however, I don't think the RX363 has a analog ext in for 5.1 channels, so you would only be able to send stereo from the 2309. In this case you could use the stereo DVDR out ot Cdr\TAPE out on the 2309 as this will downmix the 5.1 channels to 2, while the preouts pass only the channels connected.

However, using this method means you are not using the zone 2 functionality. Possibly the preouts could be configured for zone 2 functionality in stereo only.

3. dwhite

dwhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,805
    Done some further research, and the RX-V363 does have a 5.1 analog input, so you can pass the 5.1 preout of the 2309 to the 363. However, this will not allow you to use the zone2 functionality, that is a seperate preout connnection that is stereo only. The 5.1 preouts of the 2309 only output the current selection so you can't have one 5.1 audio on the 2309 and another on the 363.

4. Phaedrus68

Phaedrus68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks for your reply Dwhite.

On pages 20 & 71 of the US manual, diagrams indicate that the zone 2 connections connect to a separate "pre-main amplifier".

Is it the case that it's whatever speaker outputs that are used in a zone 2 situation are amplified, but the phono-type zone 2 connections are not?

Mark

5. dwhite

dwhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,805
    Yes the phono outputs are Pre-outs, which have not yet amplified. Its the same type of connection your sources would have for connecting to the amp. I.e a cd player will have a stereo preout for connecting to the amp. In your case you want to use your amp as the source for another amp.

There is two different methods for setting zone 2 up, you can either just run some speaker cable from the zone2 speaker outputs to some speakers in zone 2 and the 2309 will amplify the signal to the zone 2 speakers.

Or

You can use the zone2 preouts, which have to be fed to another amplifier, for it to amplify the signal to its own speakers.

Be aware, that the zone 2 outputs are stereo only and will not pass any digital audio inputs (optical, coax or HDMI) to zone2. You would also need a stereo analog connection for these sources to enable zone2 passthru.

What exactly are you hoping to achieve? Perhaps we can come up with another solution for you?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  6. Phaedrus68

Phaedrus68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Aha . . .

The simple version of what I'd hoped to do was have the same music played in all the downstairs living spaces (basically the sitting room and the open-plan kitchen) at the same time, so that if/when we have parties, I can have the same music played everywhere.

Ideally, I'd have liked all 5.1 speakers in both rooms to be used, based on the thinking that more speakers in use might provide better coverage in the rooms.

How I'd expected that this would work was to have audio played by a DMR-EX88 in my sitting room (from its jukebox/HDD) fed through the sitting room AVR (2309) into the kitchen AVR (RX-V363), with the 2309 firing the sitting room speakers and the 363 firing the kitchen speakers.

The no-analog-input = no-analog-output hadn't occurred to me, but it does make sense to me.

The EX88 will be connected to the 2309 by HDMI & optical. The 2309 has an optical out - could that somehow be used to send 5.1 (or even 2.1) signal to the one of the 363's optical inputs?

This functionality isn't such an important aspect of what I want to do overall that I'm prepared to rip walls open and reconsider what components I'll buy - it was an afterthought the more I read through the manuals of the products I plan to buy.

Thanks,

Mark

7. dwhite

dwhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,805
    If its just music (which I assume will be stereo only anyway), then I would connect via the stereo RCA output of the dmr-x88 to either the analog input of whatever selection you currently have the optical output set to on the 2309 and then use the zone2 preouts to the 363 (any stereo analog input).

Or Just take the analog output of the dmr-x88 straight to the 363, you don't need to send it via the 2309 as that is connected by optical to the dmr-x88. This way you don't have to fiddle with zone2 settings on the amp, but effectively gain zone2 functionality for the dmr-x88.

There will be a setting for all speaker outputs from a stereo source on the 363, just don't know what it will actually be called.