Zone 2 probs/help please

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by grohan, Apr 18, 2007.

Tags:
  1. grohan

grohan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

After keeping the 350 and 137 in storage whilst builder's in, i have finally installed equipment and set up:confused: All appears well, neighbour's pictures have fallen off his walls :devil: picture is superb and all sounds as i think ( very limited experience ) it should. Problem is with zone 2. I have used ch 6&7 to connect speakers in kitchen ( no funds left for sonos, builder has squandered it ) and i dont seem to be able to listen to the music through the speakers. When i play a cd through the 137 the DVD light on the 350 comes on, i press zone 2 but the speakers only appear to play part backing track and very low db level. I have programmed zone 2 in the menu to max 83db. Can anyone help the first timer :lease:

2. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    This certainly sounds like you haven't configured the setup of your reciever. In the main settings, there's an option to decide what to do with channels 6&7:

Think the options are:

6+7 as Surround Sides
    6+7 as Bi-Amp
    6+7 as Zone2 Outs

...Something like this. You need to select them as Zone2 if not done already.

Edit: Checked. It's on page E-16 of your manual, page 6 within your software Setup Menu Index (Hold Down Menu button to get these menus , then choose option 6).

Let me know if does or doesn't fix.

Dan.

3. CharlieUSA

CharlieUSA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Do you also have an analogue connection between the 137 and the receiver? Zone 2 won't make the D/A conversion.

4. grohan

grohan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick response guys

Charlie: i have optical and 3 pairs of interconnects ?

Dankeech: I will give this a go when i get home, i'm busy wasting time at work when i could be playing with my new toys :clap: :clap:

5. CharlieUSA

CharlieUSA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    It sounds like you're utilizing the multichannel outputs on the DV137, which is fine, but if you're going to access CD playback in Zone 2 while selecting "CD" in Zone 2 you also need an analogue pair between the DV137's "stereo" outputs and the receiver's "CD" input.

6. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    Charlie is correct on this one. You need to have your source of choice connected to one of the stereo analogue inputs on the AVR350 in order to be able to listen to that cource in 'Zone 2.

7. jstr7

jstr7
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Any suggestions on how to hook up my AVP 700/P1000 for zone 2 audio?

Thanks

8. CharlieUSA

CharlieUSA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Not to be flip, but I'd start by reading the manual and then returning with a more specific question.;)

9. jstr7

jstr7
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, I should have been more specific. I attempted to use zone 2 function of my AVP 700 and did not have success. I connected zone 2 out of my pre to two line in channels on my amp (as manual suggested) and could not hear any thing from my zone 2 selected source. I was just wondering if anyone could provide some assitance on set up. With my previous receiver (NAD T763) I just used the second set of speaker outputs for the Epos in my bedroom. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Its kind of funny and humbling that I can build PCs and program custom remotes, but I am stuck trying to get zone 2 output :)

10. CharlieUSA

CharlieUSA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    What's your source, and how is it connected? You may have the same problem as the OP above: that is, you need an analogue audio connection between the source and the pre/pro in order to hear it through Zone 2. If you're only connected via digital, it won't work.

11. jstr7

jstr7
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replys Charlie. I don't think its my connection. I am using a Marantz DV-9500 universal player, which I have connected via coax and analog out. I listen to all my music Cds and Sacds over two channels via the analog out, with my AVP set to direct. I only use the digital inputs on the AVP for watching movies and gaming on my 360.

12. CharlieUSA

CharlieUSA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Boy, I don't know. If you've a) checked the Zone 2 settings as per page E-17of the manual, and b) checked the Assigning Channel 6 & 7 settings as per page E-15...then I'm fresh out of ideas.

13. grohan

grohan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies guy's

As you suggested Charlie, pair from stereo out of 137 to stereo in of 350 and :clap: :clap: My Kitchen sounded like a nightclub. Ran through setup again as suggested by Dankeech and all is well with world :cool:

14. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    Glad to hear Grohan. Well done CharlieUSA too.:thumbsup:

Dan.