Question Zone 2 output

Jake

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, hoping someone could help me.

I'm setting up my 5.1.2.2? And I think I've misinterpreted what zone 2 can do.

The idea is I have a 5.1.2 setup around the tv and have another two ceiling speakers in the kitchen.

I wanted to be able to have the ability to inc/exclude zone 2 (kitchen speakers) for example if I was watching something on tv but had to cook I would include the zone 2 so I can hear as cook but turn off when not in kitchen.

Or better still, I can include all the speakers when playing music.

Is this even possible?

You can do as you describe.. You'd simply select the same source for Zone 2 as being used in the main room. Content would however have to be stereo in nature or mixed down to 2 channels while being output to both zones simultaneously. Some older AV receivers also restrict the sources you can output to a second audio zone to those input into the receiver via analogue inputs and audio accessed via a receiver's networking capabilities. Many newer receivers now expand this to cover audio accessed via a receiver's digital inputs such as HDMI and or S/PDIF.

Some receivers also inlude what is termed a party mode. This mode utilises all of the speakers connected to the receiver to output the same source. THe effect would be similar to that assorted with multichannel stereo modes, but audio would be sent to the additional audio zone as well as being output via the speakers in the main room.

You can do as you describe.. You'd simply select the same source for Zone 2 as being used in the main room. Content would however have to be stereo in nature or mixed down to 2 channels while being output to both zones simultaneously. Some older AV receivers also restrict the sources you can output to a second audio zone to those input into the receiver via analogue inputs and audio accessed via a receiver's networking capabilities. Many newer receivers now expand this to cover audio accessed via a receiver's digital inputs such as HDMI and or S/PDIF.

Some receivers also inlude what is termed a party mode. This mode utilises all of the speakers connected to the receiver to output the same source. THe effect would be similar to that assorted with multichannel stereo modes, but audio would be sent to the additional audio zone as well as being output via the speakers in the main room.

Thanks for getting back to me. So on my zone 2 output I have two connections white and red, but I have 2 speakers for zone 2. I have two lots of red positive cable and two lots of negative cable.

Do I need to use a splitter or do I solder both the positive and negative from one speaker cable to one rca plug?

I've really underestimated my ability to install this set up [emoji31]

I do have an heos amp on the way, would it be easier if I used that?

What receiver do you have now and which Denon receiver will you be replacing it with?

The red and white RCA outputs are there to enable you to connect external 2 channel amplification for an additional zone and the red and white outputs carry the left and right audio channels. You'd connect your speakers to the external amp if using these pre outs.

AV receivers with more than 5 intergrated amplified channels allow you to reassign 2 of the ampflifiers within the receiver to power speakers within another zone. You'd connect the speakers located in the other zone to the terminals ordinarilly associated with the back speakers or use dedicated extra speaker terminals if the receiver has them. You'd then configure the receiver's amp assignment so that the internal amps wouldn't be used to power the back speaker or a second pair of Atmos speakers and would be used to power the second zone speakers instead. You'd lose 2 speakers within the main room to gain 2 in another zone. A 7.1 receiver for example would only be able to provide for 5.1 in the main room if wanting a passive second zone.

If wanting to use HEOS then you'd need HEOS enabled speakers in the additional zones. This would allow you to stream audio wirelessly to additional HEOS speakers and or devices located elsewhere in your home.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom