1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ZONE 2 on AVB- how do you set it up?

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by brendank, Oct 26, 2004.

1. brendank

brendank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    hi guys

just trying to get all my cables in place before opening up my AV8 and was wondering would it be practical to use the zone 2 function upstairs in my bedroom with my loewe spheros lcd, sky mirror subscription and a DVD player (of unknown origin as yet)or would the distance be too great.?? :)

if this is a runner what cables/interconnects would i need to run from the AV8 in the main room downstairs to my bedroom upstairs?. i am running the AV8 downstairs so no power amp as such upstairs i will have passive speakers (still to be acquired) so a power amp will also be purchased maybe P7.

:)

2. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    The best way to set this up would probably be to set up a local intergrated amplifer for the local sources and then bring a single set of phono/video cables up from the AV8 to allow you to access the sources downstairs. You will also need a IR (infra red) reciever to feed the IR back to the AV8 so you can control it. The AV8 is designed with Xantech parts in mind but will work with any IR reciever.

A simpler system if you don't want to have to put cables in is to use one of the video sender systems which also incorporate an IR feed to go back down to the sources. (This is how my system is set up as I have an old house and can't put cables in the walls) The quality is not fantastic but its ok for a smallish display in a bedroom.

You could feed all the sources from the bedroom back down to the AV8 and back up again but this would be needlessly complicated and not really give you any adavntage.

Andrew

3. brendank

brendank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    hi all

thanks andy for the reply im still a bit confused and as i have all my walls opened up at this stage i would like to get any necessary cables in now. maybe if i explain it better it might make more sense

downstairs i have av8 and dvd27a running with active speakers connected to crt. upstairs i have loewe lcd,denon dvd and still debating whether to go active or passive. if i go passive which is most likely the amp will be located in this room.

i need what exact cables are needed, the IR cable for zone 2 connection is fine but after that im lost

any advise /suggestions most welcome :)

4. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi,

Assumming you use a local intergrated amplifer (i.e one that has input selection and its own volume control) you can connect your local DVD player to the intergrated amp in the normal way using a set of phono leads and connect it to your TV using a RGB SCART lead (Any good quality scart lead will be wired for RGB operation). This will give you a better qulity picture than using the composite feed down to the AV8 and back to the TV as RGB is a better video format than composite.

You will then need a long pair of low loss coaxial audio cables to go to the Z2 ouput on the AV8, single core coaxial microphone cable would be good for this or any other good quality coaxial audio cable. You will need to attach phono plug to each end of the cable. For the video I would recomend a good quality low loss video cable such as RG59 (Belden make a very good one RG59U at 1.38 a meter from Farnell) for the composite feed from the Z2 output on the AV8. The video will need to be connected to a different video input on your TV from the one used for the SCART connection and you will need to select the video using the TV remote. You will also need a three core cable for the IR eye.

If you want the AV8 to do all of the switching of video, audio and volume control and just use a power amp in the room. You will need the same IR connection and two sets of leads for the audio and video. That is left and right audio and composite video from the dennon DVD down to the AV8. Then left and right audio and composite video from the AV8 back up to the amplifer and TV. The same cable types are suitible for both cable runs to the AV8 and back. This would give a simpler system to operate as the AV8 switchs all the audio and video so the TV remains on the same input all the time and no local intergrated amplifer is required. However there will be some loss of quality as you will have to use the composite output of the DVD player to do this.

Regards,
    Andrew

PS If you have the walls open I would put a CAT5 cable in as well, 2 runs of this would make sense. This is the cable used for computer networking. But it is also now being used for lots of other house automation systems and would be a usefull futer-proofing option. You can get adaptors to run S-video and even a HDMI adaptor for cat 5 cable now.

5. brendank

brendank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    thanks andy :thumbsup:

another question assuming i use passive speakers upstairs with an an integrated amp will i be able to get 7.1 in both rooms?

just read that on the denons you can only hook up 2 speakers in the second zone and that this in turn only allows you 5.1 in the main room.

cheers :)

6. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    You could have 5.1/7.1 in the room upstairs form the local DVD player if you connect it directly to the local surround sound decoder as thie intergrated amp. (Such as the AVR200/250/300 or another manufacturers equivalent). The AV8 zone 2 is stereo only, however the local surround sound decoder could also decode the stereo signal to 5.1/7.1 speakers using PLIIx or DTS neo to give you surround. (this would still work for the DVD player if you want that to go via the AV8 but it would not be as good as a direct connection tot he surround sound decoder.)

With the stereo zone 2 on the AV8 you do not loose any of the other channels so the main output remains 7.1. However you need to make sure that an analogue stereo feed is attached for all the sources you want to use in zone 2. This is because the stereo input is the signal that is multiplexed to zone 2. I.e if you have a digital input from a CD player or DVD player you need to attach the stereo analogue feed as well for it to work in zone 2.

Regards,
    Andrew