Zone 2 / Monitor Out

shodan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey folks, I'm after some advice please...

I have the Denon X3600 receiver. The HTPC feeds into it via HDMI and out to the TV.
The Xbox itself is separate and feeds to a monitor.

I want to use the monitor to also be able to view the htpc so I don't always have to use the lounge TV.
The Xbox has a hdmi In for plugging sat boxes etc in and viewing them.

I thought I could go from hdmi zone 2 out to the Xbox in, switch the amp Zone 2 to the htpc input and it would work but it isn't... Also tried the amp Monitor 2 output but that didn't work either?
I'm very confused as to why it isn't working, what an I doing wrong?

Does the monitor directly connected to zone 2 work? Testing this should help nattoe down the issue, maybe also try connecting the HTPC directly to the HDMI input on the console.

Does the monitor directly connected to zone 2 work? Testing this should help nattoe down the issue, maybe also try connecting the HTPC directly to the HDMI input on the console.
Yep the monitor works.

Ahhh but I think you does it work if connected direct to zone 2 output.
Good idea!
It's also a good idea to plug the htpc direct in to the console, will be a good test to see if that works.....

Those methods will take the avr out of the occasion to test and then take the Xbox out of the occasion to test...

It's just baffling me that presuming it all works, I can't see a reason why it didn't... Work! 🤷🏻‍♂️🤣🤷🏻‍♂️😂

If using the second HDMI zone output directy to a moinitor or TV then the monitor's or the TV's video and audio capabilities will determine what the source selected for the second zone can output. If you were for example wanting to use the same source relative to both the main room and the zone 2 output then the xone 2 monitor will severely constrain what video you can pass through to the main room TV and what audio the source would output. The second zpne output isn't intended to be used to just connect another display and passes both audio and video out to the second zone.

If using the second HDMI zone output directy to a moinitor or TV then the monitor's or the TV's video and audio capabilities will determine what the source selected for the second zone can output. If you were for example wanting to use the same source relative to both the main room and the zone 2 output then the xone 2 monitor will severely constrain what video you can pass through to the main room TV and what audio the source would output. The second zpne output isn't intended to be used to just connect another display and passes both audio and video out to the second zone.
Thanks for this. I think I'm following you but... It's been a long weekend and I'm tired so I'll read it again tomorrow..

I'll also try it with the main TV (main output from the avr) switched off....

Connected the htpc direct to the Xbox hdmi and still nothing.
Rebooted Xbox, still nothing... About to reboot htpc too...

Connnect the Xbox and the HTPC to the AVR using individual HDMI inputs.

Don't pass the sihgnal through the XBox.

Also ensure that the video output of the HTPC is set to something compliant with what the AV receiver can handle and passthrough. PCs have weird options that many AV receivers will not recognise.

Connnect the Xbox and the HTPC to the AVR using individual HDMI inputs.

Don't pass the sihgnal through the XBox.

Also ensure that the video output of the HTPC is set to something compliant with what the AV receiver can Thats
Thats how I had it in the first place and it wouldn't work.
I've now just passed the HTPC direct to the xbox HDMI in and i'm typing this on the gaming monitor through the xbox... Doesn't seem to be any lag and its better than trying to use the KB&M on the sofa as I'm sitting at a desk closer to the monitor. Just tried Youtube and got audio too.. Obviously limited to 1080p due to the Monitor but I've left the cable in place between teh xbox and the amp, just unplugged at the at the rear of the xbox so if I want to watch a disc (only a handful of times a year) I can just unplug the HDMI to Monior and plug in the HDMI to AVR and we are back as we were.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom