1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zombie Flesheaters

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Dr.Rock, Jul 7, 2002.

1. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    aka "Zomie" aka Zombi 2

I heard this Fulci classic has been cut by three minutes, in the case of the UK version - even though it says "Extreme Version" on the box.

Does anyone know what those three minutes are?

Thanks.

2. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi Dr rock
    No you have been misinformed the Crappy Vipco release - the Extreme version is only cut by aprox 25 seconds - Its still cut so i would not bother with it - Get the imported version released by Dragon (i think) or wait for the new release from Shriek show which will be R1 but will have a new anamorphic print. Dont bother getting the Anchor bay release out in the usa as that has a number of minor problems with the print - lots of frames missing, terrible DD 5.1 soundtrack. I would wait and get the Shriek show version

3. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi again
    This is from www.ukdvdcuts.co.uk
    Cuts made 23 seconds
    This film was unavailable for years, but has been re-released on video a few times. An uncut version has never been available in the UK. This DVD version was classified in August 1999. Cuts were to an eye-gouging scene, and to a cannibalism scene. Available uncut in the US (released as 'Zombie’).
    I think the cannibalism scene that is cut is Classic 'Zombie Lunch'
    scene where the zombies are eating the doctors wife (the one that gets the splinter in her eye)

4. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi CaptainEyecatch.

Thanks for your infos.

> Get the imported version released by Dragon

That's the German import, right? But I heard this one is only in a mono 1.0 soundtrack.

> I would wait and get the Shriek show version

Do you know when that will be released, and where can I order it from? Future Entertainment and Play-247 only sell the Anchor Bay version.

Thanks.

5. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The Dragon (i think) release is called woodoo - there is a review at www.sexgoremutants.co.uk - You can also buy it there.
    The Shriek show version still hasnt been 100% confirmed theres some rumours that anchor bay still have the rights and are doing a new release next year But nothings been confirmed.

6. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +916
    Anchor Bay definitely won't be doing a release next year. The re-release was originally intended to be a remastered SE but they aren't legally allowed to access the prints since Media Blasters (Shriek Show) nailed the rights, which means AB won't be able to improve on their awful version that's on release (missing frames, wrong colours, bad sound, digital artifacts galore, smearing etc).
    The Dragon "Woodoo" disc isn't bad, but there's still issues with the overall picture quality and the ratio isn't quite right.
    There's another disc available from the Dutch company Italian Shock, it comes with some bonus material, and although its a massive improvement on the AB disc it's still not perfect.
    Whether any disc gets a 5.1 remix depends on the available sound elements and whether the releasing company can afford to spend the money creating/remixing one for it. After AB's terrible 5.1 attempt I'm tempted to believe the eventual Shriek Show disc won't have anything more than mono, but then that's the original audio anyway, and I personally would rather have a decently cleaned up original audio track than an abysmal 5.1 remix like AB did on their release.

Just for the record, Vipco released the first release of Zombie Flesheaters in the UK (heavily cut). They lost the DVD rights some time ago and it was picked up by Stonevision who resubmitted it to the BBFC and then released the "Extreme version". Vipco retain the vhs rights, but can no longer release it on DVD. Stonevision are apparently resubmitting the film again to see if they can finally get it through uncut, as they've collected a fair amount of bonus material and intend to release a ZFE special edition at some point in the future.
    Funnily enough, despite it being cut by 23 seconds, the Stonevision Extreme Version is actually the best looking disc of the bunch. I picked it up for £7.99 from www.prismdirect.co.uk and it's the 4th disc I've got of this film.
    I'd say the best uncut version currently available is the Italian Shock Zombi 2 disc and it comes with a soundtrack aswell, which makes a nice little extra.

7. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    I still have my Laser Disc version of this film on the Roan Group label. It has Ian McCulloch commentary which is very amusing.

8. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +916
    Is that the same commentary as appeared on the Anchor Bay disc? Poor old Ian McCulloch spent most of his time watching the film for the first time. It's hard to believe he'd never seen the film properly until he sat down to record the commentary, and I think he had a good bitch that even when he got an uncut version on vhs he couldn't play it on his Brit VCR.
    That Roan laser's still regarded as the best release of this film so far in many circles.