Zoe Sold. Costs of Ownership on New Car in 10 months of high mileage use

Discussion in 'Hybrid, PHEV & EV Electric Cars Forum' started by PRESSTOG, Aug 19, 2018.

1. PRESSTOG

PRESSTOG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    ZOE Scores on the doors at end of use.

Well the Zoe is sold (deposit left buyer collecting it a few days before I get the Kona)

End of use scores were

Time in use 10 Months
    Mileage from 0 to 33110

Loss from original purchase price at sale £3600

So £360 a month for 10 months at 3311 miles a month. (10.8p a mile)
    (No Service Costs as covered by Renault)
    (No Consumbables etc, still on original tyres etc)

In the same time the car saved
    75 Days Congestion Charge @ £11.50 a day = £862.50
    75x8 Hours Parking in Westminster @ £7.35 Hour = £4410.00
    22700 Work Miles @ 45p a mile = £10215.00

So although the plan was to keep it 3-4 years and run it into the ground, with the rarity of the battery owned Zoes it just made sense to sell it just before it hit a year with the minimal losses, and move on to the Kona
    Working on the principle there will be a lot more battery owned Zoes hitting the market now and the Kona should still be a rare and sought after car for the next 18 months or so.

What I will say about the Zoe is that after the initial niggles were sorted it has exceeded all expectations, its been a reliable and good car, with range that has exceeded expectations. For anyone looking for cheap and reliable EV motoring I would 100% recommend it.

Its been a stunningly cheap car to run, (Well it actually generates a profit), but the depreciation of just £3600 from OTR purchase price is great.

Lets hope the Kona lives up to this, its going to be a hard act to follow.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • List
  2. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +413
    I was put off the Zoe because of the stupid battery rental scheme. Renault is the only company that does this, which suggests to me that they're not that confident about their EV technology. The other issue was the length of time that it would take to charge the battery using a standard 13a adapter. By comparison, Smart cars seem to be OK in that respect, but I accept that that's on paper/web page only! For now, much as I want an EV, my new Suzuki Ignis will have to do.

Clem

3. PRESSTOG

PRESSTOG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    Most people seem to buy the battery with the zoe now. The lease was more to reduce the headline price rather than any lack of confidence. The lease can work out cheaper for people doing low mileage over a couple of years lease

With regard charging on a 13amp granny lead. It’s never going to be practical on a car with a 41kwh battery. Ok a smart or i3 with a 15 or 18kwh battery it’s just about doable but with over 40kwh you are peeing into the wind trying to do it on a granny charger

4. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +413
    Agreed. I would have gone for a Smart4 EV if I could actually find a dealer locally prepared to help me, but zero interest, hence the Ignis.

Clem

5. John7

John7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +761
    How much did the electricity used for charging cost you in the 10 months?

6. PRESSTOG

PRESSTOG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    Very little as I get free charging in London, and there is a free rapid close to home I use, I average about 60p a night at home just to top it back up to 100% for the next day and on non working days

But as a rough rule of thumb the Zoe does around 5 miles per kWh and I pay 5p per kWh on eco7. So if I had paid for all 33000 miles at my home rate it would have been about £330

7. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41,733
    1p a mile even when you paid for it? and your company paid full mileage rates for work use IIRC :thumbsup: Win win all around :clap: or was that just for the i3?

8. PRESSTOG

PRESSTOG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    Yes I am back in my old role, so yes contract pays me 45p a mile. (And Congestion Charge, and Parking).. So yes the car earns its keep very quickly.