Zodiac Standard DVD poor picture quality

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by heartofsaturday, Jan 18, 2008.

1. heartofsaturday

heartofsaturday

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Zodiac Standard DVD : This DVD is not faulty but is very poor quality.
    It is riddled with artefacts, wobbly bridge and building lines etc and its the only poor quality DVD I have watched on my new 42" plasma.
    I have read that the HD version is perfect.
    There is no reason why the standard DVD version should be below the normal quality expected from a DVD. I have watched much older DVD's even one's of classic films and they are all fine. I have complained to the web site I bought the DVD from and asked them to you pass these comments on to Warner Brothers - or to thier supplier. I tried to contact Warner Brothers UK directly but could not. I would have gone HD/blu-ray by now but it's a cert I would buy the format which will be dead by 2010! I will continue to buy standard DVD in the meantime. I hope film companies are now not going to manufacture below quality DVD's to try and encourage customers to go HD. It may also be possible that Zodiac is poor quality on this version so that they will sell more of the 2 disc special edition on its way soon - which will no doubt be great quality.

2. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,128

i dont recall it being a bad image at all myself, i think it was very good and clean, this was my comment on seeing it, ...but nothing about the actual PQ. Maybe if someone else has it will check.

this is from the SD 1 disc review online;

3. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,181
    The R2 SD DVD is very poor quality. Along with Harry Potter 5, it is one of the worse I have seen lately.

This review pretty describe it accurately.

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=65986

4. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,128

interesting, cant say i noticed it i usually do, prob too gripped by the excellent film :D

5. Rom

Rom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +746
    Thing is, Warners released it over here, paramount released it in the US. They will have done their own encodes. Maybe Warner were just sloppy with their release. I have the HD DVD version and it is absolutely stunning in HD.

6. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,181
    Some people think it is done on purpose to make the HD look even better. I do wonder if they have actually done that.

7. bosque

bosque

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    You can see the worst of the Region 1 SD DVD at the beginning of the credit sequence as the camera swoops over the water towards the San Francisco Chronical building, wobbly building lines etc as the OP says. Compare this to the HD-DVD which is completely free of these artefacts/jaggies. In fact, the HD-DVD has the best PQ I've seen on the hi-def format.

8. low-def

low-def
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes I remember that too. The picture on the R2 dvd is god awful :eek:

9. hutch

hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,224
    Im thinking this more and more when I watch newly released DVD's some are absolutely shocking and I dont think its a coincidence that these also come from studios who have released the same movie on a HD format...

10. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,591
    And I am being urged to pick the DVD up and watch it for first time being a fan or Se7en...

11. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,128
    nothing wrong with the movie its ace :smashin:

12. A.C.T

A.C.T
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Glad I read this I was beginning to think it was just me! We hired Zodiac to view and I was shocked at the poor picture quality, at first leading me to believe there was something wrong with my projector, particularly a long shot of a street scene towards the start of the film. It really marred my enjoyment of a film I had been looking forward to seeing, and I agree with the comments about the reduction of the quality of the standard definition to push sales of high definition. Hoping this is not the start of a trend!

13. discostewart

discostewart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    i wanted to like this film but just couldnt get into it, it seemed to want to be a sherlock holmes sleuth type film in its set-up, but in reality
    the perpetrator is more or less handed to the police (allegedly).
    overall the film seemed well directed it just suffered from a poor concept haunted by its own wish to stay true to the source material.

In regards to the transfer of the sd version in the UK, i doubt it was done to push sales of the HD. More likely the fact that it had, as mentioned, a different distributor over here meant that a low budget was avaiablble than encoding done for worldwide distribution. Whatcha think ?

14. bosque

bosque

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    The US release is just as bad as the UK release, so it can't be due to distributors, think it was a rush job and was only improved when Fincher had time to attend to the video quality.

15. heartofsaturday

heartofsaturday

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Result - looks like I am getting a refund when I return the disc.
    "I have complained to the web site I bought the DVD from and asked them to you pass these comments on to Warner Brothers - or to thier supplier."

I will now hold off and wait until I can buy the disc HD/Blu-ray. This is when the format war is over.